2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this installed? Specifically the OEM one, I want to get it and install it, but I am curious about the switch for it? Instructions I read said you have to drill a hole for a switch..? Does it not fit into one of the "blanks" to the left of steering wheel?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Reactions: Bamboomanage

·
Registered
327 Posts
There's an OEM kit for gen3? Is there a north american part number?

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
That I don't know, I'm just going off of my Gen2. Here's the one for mine: https://www.amazon.com/Mazda-Accessories-0000-8F-L35-Interior-Lighting/dp/B00331ULHU. I'm sorry, I don't know what the under panels look like on Gen3.
Ahh ok, I thought you were talking Gen 3 because of the section it's posted in. Thanks for clarifying - .

I had footwell LED's (blue ones) in my '10 GT but I'm not sure if they were an accessory or a part of the package on the car. All I can say is there was no toggle switch below the wheel, they just came on with the dome light. Sorry I can't be a bigger help

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry for the confusion.

I just saw the title and thought I could help a Gen3.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Haha. Man, I was in the same boat. Can't find information on this anywhere and I was hopeful it would take the one blank I had to the left of the column.

So here you go: No. It is a separate switch that does drill into the dash. Sorry for the small pic, but it's all I have for now. You can see the circular toggle switch above the trunk release button and below the Tech switches.

So yeah. I was a little sad to know I was still going to have to deal with the blank spots (a pet peeve of mine). But whatever.

On a sidenote, installation is a freakin beast. It's straight forward, but the involvement for just two little lights is nuts. You will literally have the whole dash and center console apart.

Let me know if you have any other questions that the manual can't answer for you.

Attachments

Reactions: thatryan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Chazzy, exactly what I was looking for! Huge bummer about the switch, wonder why they did that...
Do they stay on all the time with the toggle? Or on/off with doors and dome light type of thing?

Side note, are those pedals worth it? I want them but are they just visual or do they feel better, grip better, on your feet?

Thanks!

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Thank you Chazzy, exactly what I was looking for! Huge bummer about the switch, wonder why they did that...
Do they stay on all the time with the toggle? Or on/off with doors and dome light type of thing?

Side note, are those pedals worth it? I want them but are they just visual or do they feel better, grip better, on your feet?

Thanks!
The only thing the switch does is turn them on/off when the car is in motion and the headlights are on. Otherwise, they turn on when the car is unlocked via fob, or you open the door -- and likewise, turn off when you lock the car via fob, or time-out with the interior dome light when you close the door. Essentially, they function the exact same way your interior dome light does. That on/off switch is purely there for whether you want them on or off when driving at night. Even if you have the switch in the off position the lights will still function the same as your dome light when you lock and unlock/open and close your door.

As for the pedals, the dead pedal and accelerator pedal are of no real difference. They just look nice. But the brake pedal actually has little rubber convex pieces that are grippy and were definitely a notable improvement over the stock brake pedal. Install is relatively easy for the accelerator. The Brake pedal was a bitch, but I eventually got -- it slips on like a glove would be the best analogy, just a major pain in the ass because it's like an exact fit; as it should be. As for the dead pedal, you actually have to peel the carpet back to install in properly and that involves taking a couple interior components apart, but the directions are very precise and easy.

Let me know what else you have...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Holy cow that's one heck of an install for 2 LEDs, and it's also CRAZY expensive! (at least in Canada) Thanks for the info - it's nice to know it's out there but I'll be passing on this one for now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I kinda want them because my BMW had them by default, and I miss the little things like that lol. Just wish it integrated better. I am putting together a list of accessories I want to order, dealer where I bought my car told me I can have 20% anything, for as long as I own the car! So I thought that was super awesome.

Don't really need all weather mats here in Bay Area, but thinking of the cargo try thing instead of carpet mat. Also need auto dim mirror, and pedals I kinda like.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah I kinda want them because my BMW had them by default, and I miss the little things like that lol. Just wish it integrated better. I am putting together a list of accessories I want to order, dealer where I bought my car told me I can have 20% anything, for as long as I own the car! So I thought that was super awesome.

Don't really need all weather mats here in Bay Area, but thinking of the cargo try thing instead of carpet mat. Also need auto dim mirror, and pedals I kinda like.
You never know when you'll need all weather mats, they do come in handy for spills, rainy days...(coming from the Sac area) and I have a cargo tray in my hatch. I know I'm a 2nd gen, but I did put an auto-dim mirror in mine, easy install to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You never know when you'll need all weather mats, they do come in handy for spills, rainy days...(coming from the Sac area) and I have a cargo tray in my hatch. I know I'm a 2nd gen, but I did put an auto-dim mirror in mine, easy install to do.
How do you like the all weather mats? Does it "cheapen" the interior look? Do they stay in place?

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
How do you like the all weather mats? Does it "cheapen" the interior look? Do they stay in place?
Very high quality. Lookwise, I like the carpet, but Mazda did a great job with both design and function with the all weather mats. I use them in the winter here in New England and they work awesome! Been getting some great use out of them this week actually.

They snap in where the stock floor mats do, so they're not going anywhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you want to avoid the hassle of drilling, try an aftermarket LED kit. I tapped mine into the fusebox. With the aftermarket kit I got a remote control, 16 color choices (including white), and the ability to light the rear as well as front footwells. Installation was pretty straightforward; the hardest part was running a cable behind the center console.

I used the Opt7 Interior LED Kit, purchased from Amazon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you want to avoid the hassle of drilling, try an aftermarket LED kit. I tapped mine into the fusebox. With the aftermarket kit I got a remote control, 16 color choices (including white), and the ability to light the rear as well as front footwells. Installation was pretty straightforward; the hardest part was running a cable behind the center console.

I used the Opt7 Interior LED Kit, purchased from Amazon.

Agreed. Aftermarket is the way to go. I got the same Opt7 unit! Posted a quick info on how I installed mine here http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...-footwell-led-lights-install-aftermarket.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts