2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I went to get my tires rotated on the 6 months schedule and was surprised to find that my front tires were at 4/32 and the rears at 6/32 at only 18000 miles!

Now, I can account for some of the tire wear at the free track driving course offered by my local mazda dealer in Austin. I was on track for maybe 45 minutes total.

I can also account for some of the wear by the way I start from a stop sign close to my house everyday on my way home. I usually goose the gas from that dead stop and hear the front tires chirp quite a bit, but nothing too dramatic because traction control is still on and I'm not WOT.

I did my first alignment just recently. It wasn't too bad. The rear toe was fine at .05* per side. Front was a little off with a total toe of -0.1* but nothing major that would cause excessive wear.

Anybody else experiencing super fast tread wear on the stock dunlops on the S model?

I rotated the 6/32 tires to the front so that they will be able to endure more wear and hopefully the 4/32 tires will wear out at the same time as the fronts given they are now in the back.

p.s. I do turn fast sometimes and hear my front tires squeal in corner entry as well as get on the gas hard and hear my inner tires squeel on corner exit but I don't do that very often so it's not a big contributor, I don't think, lol...

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
The OEM Dunlops are utter crap.
I'm not surprised at all, I expect to only get about 25K at most out of them.

I spin wheels with traction control ON in every gear but 6th.
But then again, I am modified and tuned.

You are only just now rotating your tires at 18K?
You're supposed to rotate new tires every 5K.
I just did mine when I passed 6K

·
Registered
228 Posts
Personally, I don't want to get more than 20k out of these tires. I usually get 60k out of a set of OEMs on prior new cars, but I want these gone ASAP. I'm just not gonzo enough to replace them at 1k miles.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've rotated 3 times now, once every 6 months.
Why do you guy hate the Dunlops so much? I find they have decent steering feel and grip just a lot of road noise and wear kind of fast.

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
I've rotated 3 times now, once every 6 months.
Why do you guy hate the Dunlops so much? I find they have decent steering feel and grip just a lot of road noise and wear kind of fast.
You just listed the reasons. lol

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I dunno, I've still yet to hit the markers at 47k on them. I think I might actually get to 50k on them which is well above expectations. I was expecting them to be bald by now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts