2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’ve had this issue with my 2010 Mazda 3 2.0L (165000 kms) for the past year or so and I still have yet to figure out what the problem is. It’s actually driving me insane.

When the car is in drive the “D” indicator light in the cluster will flicker on and off sporadically, and sometimes stay off. If I wiggle the shift knob forwards and backwards it will usually bring the car back into drive; however, sometimes it stays off and will downshift the car. This is troublesome especially on the highway.

I know it’s really not an issue with the transmission itself because it’s been like this for a very long time, the check engine and AT light are not lit up, and the car generally runs fine. Also, the car moves between park, reverse, and neutral completely fine. It will blink even when stationary while in drive, but like I said wiggling the shift knob will make it stable again.

I thought it may be an issue with the shifting cable as the park light doesn’t come on (never did tbh), so I adjusted the length of the cable by adjusting the locking clip just under the shifter. This did make the shifter nice and tight, but it didn’t fix the problem. I figured it wouldn’t since the car wasn't having the issue where the shifter is stuck in neutral and won’t turn on.

Even the slightest movement of the shift cable will trigger the light to start blinking again, so my next thought is that it might be the neutral safety switch. Before I go ahead and rip off the plastic splash guard under the front end and buy a new NSS I wanted to see if anyone has seen this issue before. I’ve done so much research and have come up with nothing..

1 - 1 of 1 Posts