2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just had my 3 sport GT in for a minor service at 43k km's and all was well except my brake wear threw me off. My rears were at 50% and fronts are at 80%. The reason I find this odd is because is a cars braking not generally 70% Fronnt and 30%Rear? I asked the adviser and she gave me this generic response of "The Skyactive suspension design uses the rear brakes more when braking". That's not a good enough response in my opinion. I understand she isn't a technician but maybe give a bit more detail. I am a car guy and I love working on my own cars when a warranty isn't in the picture and I am a Aircraft mechanic by profession so I am always interested in the Why and the how of things mechanical. So with that said. Is this really a normal characteristic of our cars? So I should save up to upgrade my rear brakes first or do I have sticky rear brakes?

Any clarity on this much appreciated.

Lane

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just replaced my rear brakes too on my 2015 GS with 38k km. They said rear was down to 2mm and front was about 5mm.

You're in Richmond BC? I've been driving back and forth between Vancouver and Coquitlam... I am not surprised the crappy traffic here in the lower mainland are killing our brakes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi from Richmond! Yea my wife and I moved back last year. Grew up In Anmore above Port Moody. I'm sure the only reason My rears have lasted this long is because in Halifax I drove 90% highway.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,499 Posts
Reactions: Lanesky

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Hello all,

I just had my 3 sport GT in for a minor service at 43k km's and all was well except my brake wear threw me off. My rears were at 50% and fronts are at 80%. The reason I find this odd is because is a cars braking not generally 70% Fronnt and 30%Rear? I asked the adviser and she gave me this generic response of "The Skyactive suspension design uses the rear brakes more when braking". That's not a good enough response in my opinion. I understand she isn't a technician but maybe give a bit more detail. I am a car guy and I love working on my own cars when a warranty isn't in the picture and I am a Aircraft mechanic by profession so I am always interested in the Why and the how of things mechanical. So with that said. Is this really a normal characteristic of our cars? So I should save up to upgrade my rear brakes first or do I have sticky rear brakes?

Any clarity on this much appreciated.

Lane
Under normal use, fronts should wear faster than rears. The rear caliper piston has a slot to mate to the pad guide pin. The common mistake upon brake service is to miss the mating causing the caliper to sit at an angle. This will cause the rears to wear quickly & unevenly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts