2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm coming from a VW where the only real scanner is VCDS which is specifically written for those cars and let's you do all sorts of stuff with the ecu.

Is there a favorite tool for Mazda? I'm thinking of getting the OV tune...does that package come with some scanner that I could continue to use for other things?

I want to be able to read codes of course, but I'd also like to pull numbers and do any tweaks that are available?

·
Super Moderator
5,178 Posts
I have heard that you need a newer version of the software, 4.12 or later. This fixed the on/off issue presented by the SkyActiv cars. Older models can be sent in for upgrade if need be.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions guys... yeah when I look up that one, they don't list anything special and state it is for all newer models.

The Forscan is interesting and is more like what I'm used to with Ross-Tech for the VW (being a windows program and all). but I noticed it is community driven (not that is is a bad thing) but it does make we wonder.

The scangauge is something that I have seen before in the way-past that people used to install when their cars didn't report alot of gauges. So if I'm reading this correctly, it does not allow us to tweak anything with our cars (more of a reader) but it does allow you to at least reset any Codes correct?

And as far as MazdaEdit goes... anyone know if that also allows you to do anything? I'm not looking for active monitoring but want to be able to read engine codes, and potential pull numbers like MAF, HP, etc as I do modding.

·
Registered
669 Posts
When I first got my Scangauge it would not automatically shut off when the engine was turned off. I called their helpline, where Christina said this was a known problem with SkyActiv Mazda engines. To fix the issue, she said to adjust a certain setting: Change the "Sleep" settings to "Volts" instead of the SG factory default of "RPM." This is needed because SkyActiv vehicles do not go to "0" RPMs on shutoff, thus Scangauge does not recognize the engine is shut down. She referred to the SG Manual in two places: p 18 re setting the "Sleep Event" and p 15 re setting to "Volts" in place of "RPMs."

The procedure worked.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The Skyactiv SgII on mine is available only thru Linear Logic. It's not a software update. Use coupon code SKYACTIV upon checkout. Resellers don't carry it. The regular SgII on voltage-sleep randomly turned display off on mine. The Sky-specific works perfectly.
Scangauge tells you a lot our gauges don't aside from reading & clearing codes. I chose to put coolant/air intake temps, voltage on display. No, it doesn't have full ECU access. MazdaEdit & EcuTek give you that.
Some like the Elm-Smart phone Torque App. I still prefer the SGII.:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Be careful of cheap odbii readers. I bought 2 and 1 was doa and the second died a few weeks later. Now I use a OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool along with the Torque app on a cell phone. I use it mainly to get a digital speedo, water temperature and volts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a $14 ELM327 Bluetooth dongle off ebay years ago, and it's worked flawlessly in every vehicle I've tried it. They're all clones, but there seems to be variations in build quality. I use Torque for both reading fault codes and additional instruments.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use the VEEPEAK, $16.99 Amazon Prime with the DashCMD software on my iPhone

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use the VEEPEAK, $16.99 Amazon Prime with the DashCMD software on my iPhone
So do you just use it exclusively at home or within other wifi hot spots since it's wifi only with the iPhone? I was going to pick one up until I saw that limitation. The Bluetooth version is only for android.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So do you just use it exclusively at home or within other wifi hot spots since it's wifi only with the iPhone? I was going to pick one up until I saw that limitation. The Bluetooth version is only for android.
It's true that the VEEPEAK communicates with my iPhone using wifi, but it works with no issues and easily transfers from car to car. The only issue is it always draws power when plugged into the ODBII port so if you're not going to drive your car for a couple of weeks, pull it out.

I typically track in real time MPH/RPM, water temp and A/F ratio on the fly.

Reactions: EadzaM

·
Registered
158 Posts
One more warning about the cheap odbii readers. A $7 ELM 327 Mini arrived doa. Another $7 ELM 327 Mini worked for a couple weeks then, when I was driving, all the idiot light came on in my 2015 3i. I pulled over, restarted the car, and they went out except the check engine light. After about 20 miles, the check engine light also turned off. I took it to the dealer and their response: "CHECK AND FOUND SEVERAL U CODE PCM AND TCM - CHECK AND FOUND CUSTOMER TAMPERED WITH THE DATA LINK CONNECTOR CREATING THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO COME - ADVISE CUSTOMER NOT TO TAMPERED WITH DATA LINK CONNECTOR MAY CREATE PROBLEMS AGAIN"

I retired the ELM 327 and got the ODBLink http://www.obdlink.com/. After more than a year, the idiot lights function fine. Other features of the ODBLink include: Up to 300% faster than the competition. Enjoy smoother graphs and real-time gauges. Unique security scheme eliminates the risk of unauthorized access. Plug it in, leave it in — without the danger of draining your vehicle’s battery. Fully automatic sleep and wake-up: does not require switches or manual button presses! Includes their own Android and Windows desktop programs and works with other vendors programs too. Updateable firmware. 90 day money back guarantee. 3 year warranty.

A good way to choose the hardware is choose the software first. Then check the software vendor's recommendation for the hardware. The software guys probably have the most experience with the various adapters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts