2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all--Occasionally I can't pump gas into my 2005 2.3. The pump clicks off as if the tank were full. This seems to be more common if I'm filling the tank after driving on the freeway for at least several miles. (Yes, this happens at different gas stations, and no, changing the angle of the nozzle doesn't help.) I'm not sure what the exact problem is, but maybe some form of vapor lock in the filler neck? In searching the forums, one possible culprit is a clogged fuel vapor filter, that sits in this canister near the filler neck above the right rear wheel:

Cylinder Automotive tire Tin Rim Bumper

Other owners with a similar issue have had some success with removing the paper filter from this canister and cleaning it and/or cleaning the line feeding the canister. So I have some dumb questions:

1. How do I remove the filter from the canister? I started to pry the cap off the bottom, but was afraid I was going to break it (it secures with a bunch of little one-way tabs)
2. How do I remove the canister from the line? There's no obvious clamp.
3. Does anyone have a part number for the paper filter? I feel like if I'm going to dig all the way in there, I might as well throw in a new filter. The part number on the filter housing brings up some other fuel-vapor-related components but not the filter.

Of course I'm not 100% sure this is the culprit--it's just the closest explanation for what I've found on forum searches. Any other leads would be welcome.

· Registered
273 Posts
I had no idea this is a paper filter. Are you certain this isn't filled with charcoal? That's how the fuel vapors are captured.

Also, hopefully you and others have not been topping off when fueling your vehicle. The problem with topping off is fuel gets into the vapor system by way of the vent port near the top of the fuel filler tube. The resulting fuel in the vapor system causes what's called "water logging", or saturating the charcoal and filtering material with liquid.

Anyway, I think this is the diagram you want.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gary, that's helpful. Since I haven't been able to remove the filter yet, I'm not sure what it looks like--I'm just going by other reports from the forum. Also, there are little windows in the filter canister that show what LOOKS like a circular paper filter, but I'm not sure.

Those diagrams definitely show the parts in question--in the top diagram, it shows a "quick release connector" at the other end of the filter system--any idea where that lives on the car? I'll look for it next time I'm under the car. Also, in the second diagram, it lists removal/installation instructions--I don't suppose you have the pages that show that process?

· Registered
273 Posts
The second diagram instructions refer to the instructions above for removing the entire assy. I didn't put the rear cross-member removal instructions in there, but I can post them if needed.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it, thanks. It looks like the bottom cap of the filter housing can be removed separately (I started pry it off but stopped for fear of breaking it)--I was hoping the manual had instructions for that. Or, just instructions for filter replacement (surely that can be done without replacing the whole assembly?)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, to be honest the access to the filter wouldn't be significantly improved by removing the whole assy. I'll take another look at the cap. It's a bunch of one-way tabs that make it easy to snap ON, but snapping OFF is another story....

· Registered
273 Posts
Yeah, to be honest the access to the filter wouldn't be significantly improved by removing the whole assy. I'll take another look at the cap. It's a bunch of one-way tabs that make it easy to snap ON, but snapping OFF is another story....
Sounds like you need a bunch of thin shims to block the tabs. Take your time and think it through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts