2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Occasional blank screen / infotainment system won't start up

166K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  kek 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi. Just wanted share my experience with you in case there are people having the same problem and are stuck on figuring out what to do.

I purchased my Mazda3 s Touring over a month ago and ever since the infotainment system would occasionally not turn on after I started the car i.e. having a blank screen. The radio/volume control would still work but the screen was blank. Backup camera and Nav would not work because the screen was blank. Sometimes when I drove for 20mins it will turn itself on magically, but most of the time I would get stucked with a blank screen the whole trip and even the trips after. Tried changing every setting, reset to factory settings, upgraded the maps through Mazda tools. Nothing would work. I was on V27 and the car was manufactured in Feb 2014.

Frustrated and confused I started to look online for solutions, I came across a button combination that will restart the infotainment system and remembered it so that I can try the next time the screen won't turn on. It worked beautifully. After holding BACK + NAV + MUTE for 10 seconds the Mazda logo came on and everything is better :D

I've only used this trick three times and will see if it would keep working but I can't wait to share with other owners who might have similar issues. I know this is only a temporary/ghetto fix but it at least it let me have the backup camera and navigation whenever I need them.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I would like to share my experience as well. I've also purchased a Mazda3s GT about a month ago and have experienced this problem twice. The difference for me was the screen started up roughly 5 minutes into the drive. Both times that happened was on hot sunny days (90 degrees) with car parked out in the sun. My car came with V29 preloaded. I am thinking this might not be software related, but temperature related?

#3 ·
Yea that seems to be the pattern for me too. The screen is definitely more likely to not turn on in the middle of the day. However, I had the issue couple times after sunset too so I can't really be sure. The weather here is like 80-90 degree high through April, maybe where you live there's a cooler weather so it happens less frequently?

#4 ·
I'm guessing if a hard reboot of the system while the engine is running will get it to work then the problem should be in the booting sequence that starts the vehicle. Whenever we start the engine, the electricity is not at a normal voltage level because most of the power were drawn to the electric motor, I bet if Mazda can delay the start of the infotainment system for like 3 secs after we push start the engine it will fix the problem permanently.:smartass:

#5 ·
These issue have been well documented on these forums.

V30 was pulled and V29 was amended, so currently V29 is the latest dealers are installing.

Check out the TSB topics, there's a TSB out for a new TAU if your cars eligible.

Also check out the infotainment topic's, there's a sticky at the top of the forum with info.

Lastly, there is a topic for the diagnostics screen, with how to get to it, and what codes relate to what.

HTH

#6 ·
Thanks! that's a really good summary of what's been talked about here regarding the infotainment issues and it's really helpful. I'll start recording the issue and try to see if I can convince Mazda to switch out the TAU.

#10 ·
Totally black screen

Hello everyone, lately I encountered a problem with my infotainment!

The screen went totally black, in rest everything is working fine (paired phone, radio stations, etc), my only problem is that I can't see anything on the screen.

I tried to do a "hard reset" by pulling system sparks away, with over night battery decoupling from the entire system and nothing happened, the paired phone setup it is in place, I also tried to change the screen, but with the new screen went the same.

Can anyone tell what should I do, how ca I do a really "hard reset" only to the infotainment, I thing there could be a problem ether with software ( video driver) or the hardware!

I look forward for your answers!

Many thanks!

#15 ·
Hey Guys
I mentioned in one of the other threads related to the blank screen issue but basically I had gone to the dealer about five times regarding the same issue before they ordered and replaced my CMU unit inside the car, after that there's no more blank screens. They tried reflashing the system, upgrading, resetting and anything that can be done on the software side. I believe swapping out the hardware is the only way to fix this issue.

#16 ·
For me is the third time, when it happened to have the black screen, but this time, it could't be reset it.

I just came back from dealer, and they told me that will changed, after that it will be sent to their technical dept. to check and to see what caused the malfunction.

Many thanks for your answers!

#19 ·
Hi. Just wanted share my experience with you in case there are people having the same problem and are stuck on figuring out what to do.

I purchased my Mazda3 s Touring over a month ago and ever since the infotainment system would occasionally not turn on after I started the car i.e. having a blank screen. The radio/volume control would still work but the screen was blank. Backup camera and Nav would not work because the screen was blank. Sometimes when I drove for 20mins it will turn itself on magically, but most of the time I would get stucked with a blank screen the whole trip and even the trips after. Tried changing every setting, reset to factory settings, upgraded the maps through Mazda tools. Nothing would work. I was on V27 and the car was manufactured in Feb 2014.

Frustrated and confused I started to look online for solutions, I came across a button combination that will restart the infotainment system and remembered it so that I can try the next time the screen won't turn on. It worked beautifully. After holding BACK + NAV + MUTE for 10 seconds the Mazda logo came on and everything is better :D

I've only used this trick three times and will see if it would keep working but I can't wait to share with other owners who might have similar issues. I know this is only a temporary/ghetto fix but it at least it let me have the backup camera and navigation whenever I need them.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

#21 ·

#22 ·
Mr. Hood thankyou for your post its been most helpful in explaning the problem I've been having with my 2019 Mazda CX9. I my case I found that I have to completely stop the vehicle put it in park and restart it. All of which would suggest that the system doesn't always boot properly when started. I will take it up with the dealership when it's in for it's next service.

#23 ·
Hi,
I'm facing the same issue as, my Mazda 3 (2014), the display is getting off just after start to go, I did the all the option like pressing the three-button and finally, i have updated the software with latest 70 and still, that issue is same. can anyone help me as what do I do to rectify this issue?

#27 ·

My bluetooth to ohone said connected, but went to a blank screen and no music would play. YOUR trick WORKED!!! the back nav mute button hold. I actually registered here just to say thank you so much!

#28 ·

Your solution of holding BACK+NAV+MUTE worked! Thank you!
Kek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.