2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I know this has been up before, but im trying again.

I have a OBD2 V-Link WiFi dongle wich shows up when enabling the WiFi in the car.
Is it possible to make a application to read out stuff like oil temp, coolant temp, etc?

- Thomas

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi guys,

I know this has been up before, but im trying again.

I have a OBD2 V-Link WiFi dongle wich shows up when enabling the WiFi in the car.
Is it possible to make a application to read out stuff like oil temp, coolant temp, etc?

- Thomas
It probably is, you just have to find out how the dongle works, how does it display the information, send me a link to the dongle you have, its not a bad idea, maybe I can make an app for something like this now that Im done with exams.

EDIT: Nvm, they all seem to be using the same protocol, I just ordered one off ebay, so when it arrives Ill try to get an app going for it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It probably is, you just have to find out how the dongle works, how does it display the information, send me a link to the dongle you have, its not a bad idea, maybe I can make an app for something like this now that Im done with exams.

EDIT: Nvm, they all seem to be using the same protocol, I just ordered one off ebay, so when it arrives Ill try to get an app going for it.
Awesome. I run one of these dongles in my forester and run torque on a permanent mounted tablet, but would buy another if we had an app for the mazda infotainment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That would be very interesting. I really lack some gauges (like oil temperature, f.e.) in my M3 that would be great to be able to see from the MZD connect like in the Nissan GTR

·
Registered
418 Posts
there is the command smdb-read in the CMU where you can have some of this values. I remember brake position, fuel pump, engine rpms are some of these. Hope someone can make this app.

·
Horses!
80 Posts
judging by some of the options we have already available, the CMU is already connected to the CAN bus, so it doesn't require a dongle to connect to the OBD2 port, but it's restricted by the firmware to only certain things, or the default apps have only a few things implemented - which is good from the safety point of view - hacking through wifi won't allow anybody to take over control of brakes/engine/steering etc.
but... as it is linux, and we already have root access, it should be entirely possible to run own distro on it, or remove restrictions, and then cross-compile fully featured app which can read everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts