2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....checking out my intake for leaks and whatnot I noticed that the O-ring on the MAF sensor was broken and protruding out. I am getting a lean code on bank 1 and bank 2 so I'm hoping that this might finally solve the CEL issue. Ive ordered the new O-ring and new screws for the MAF from the dealer. Do you guys think that I'll be ok till then driving my car with the broken O-ring (coming in Tuesday :argh 1: )?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Just go easy on the car but otherwise yeah Im sure you will be fine. That's a weird coincidence though

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just go easy on the car but otherwise yeah Im sure you will be fine. That's a weird coincidence though
Yeah, Im hoping so too but this CEL lights been on for like a month. Ive speaking to CS about and theyve been asking for pictures of the MAF so it just so happened i noticed the broken O-ring at that time.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think I would try driving it with the maf disconnected instead. I'd rather it default to a safe base map than lean out

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I would try driving it with the maf disconnected instead. I'd rather it default to a safe base map than lean out
This is interesting lol so I just have a question or two:detective: but if you run with the maf unplugged then how does the ecu know how much fuel to add to the mixture and what happens with the extra air that's taken in through the intake?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
you'll be fine just still running lean. That o ring protruding was your CEL issue guaranteed.

DO NOT RUN THE CAR WITH THE MAF DISCONNECTED.

First off, it will have trouble starting sometimes. there is no "safe" Mafless map. to see for yourself, unplug the maf and try to start the car.
it will run so uncontrollably rich you'll have to change your oil after a days drive.
it will be unstable, horrible idle, absolutely ZERO power.
it causes so many issues.
your car will smell like unburnt fuel.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
This is interesting lol so I just have a question or two:detective: but if you run with the maf unplugged then how does the ecu know how much fuel to add to the mixture and what happens with the extra air that's taken in through the intake?
Idk how this system works but some will default to using the map sensor and throttle position to run good enough to get you where you need to be while others will barely run. That's why I suggested you try it. Obviously I've never had to try it on this car lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts