2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I currently own a 2013 Mazda 3 SA but I am looking into trading it for a 2010 Speed with 70K on the odometer. I was wondering if anybody here has one in that range and what things might start to get lose or wear out at that mileage and thereafter. Turbo life, block life, drivetrain issues? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
it all depends on the previous owner. how did they drive the car? was it taken care of properly? oil changes, check ups, etc.

I drive my speed3 pretty easy. I get on boost when I need to. some times for fun. most of my driving is just getting from place to place. I'm not for buying a used car unless I really know what the car has been through. yes, you will save quite a bit of money buying used. a car with 5000 miles on it will be a few thousand dollars less than a new one. which is crazy if you think about it.

can you take the car to a mechanic you trust to check it before you buy it? carfax?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The most important thing to check is the cylinder(s) compression and the condition of the turbo. Cylinder 2 always runs a little leaner than the rest and if the car was run hard extensively that cylinder will typically fail first. The KO4 has a service life of around 100k give or take before it needs a rebuild. It all depends on how it was driven or if it was modded at all during it's life. Shocks and struts are getting near the end of their service life at 70k. VVT (timing chain and actuator) sometimes needs service around 70k. Drive train is pretty tough. Most likely you'll be the one installing a new clutch which is $900 at the dealership. If you get the car cheap you can throw a little money at it. If the compression is low in any cylinder walk away. Look closely for any signs of modding. Typically any signs of rounding of any bolts in the engine bay or exhaust system.

Reactions: Finchee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. It is at a dealer so I hope that I can trust them. However the most recent used vehicle I got from a dealer has me worried.

What kind of numbers should I be looking at as far as compression? I am pretty sure that it wasn't modded at all. Being from a dealer I'm pretty sure that they would've included that in the description. But if I go see it, I will certainly look under the hood. Maybe, I'll bring a pressure gauge with me to check compression instead of trusting them.

Is there anyway that I can check the turbo for excessive wear and tear other than reaching in to the intake blades and checking for play?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
dealerships will lie to you like it is there job, because, it is their job. haha, jk.

careful with what they say, they can fib a little.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dealerships will lie to you like it is there job, because, it is their job. haha, jk.

careful with what they say, they can fib a little.
You said that you drive your car relatively easily. Coming from a SA I was wondering what the actual average MPG youve been getting is. I understand it is lower than the SA but that is something I am willing to sacrifice as long as its still relatively decent when the car is driven easily.

Yes, they certainly can. If I go down and look at it, i will definitely go through it with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is it one of those certified used cars? The dealer may offer a 1/12K bumper to bumper and/or a PT warranty extended to 7/100K. That would protect you from known issues that they may be hiding (or that the previous owner may have hidden from them).

If you do not plan on modding it yourself but will use it as your DD it may be a good investment. But if you are just going to mod it yourself don't bother with warranties. Just upgrade as things break.

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
You said that you drive your car relatively easily. Coming from a SA I was wondering what the actual average MPG youve been getting is. I understand it is lower than the SA but that is something I am willing to sacrifice as long as its still relatively decent when the car is driven easily.

Yes, they certainly can. If I go down and look at it, i will definitely go through it with a fine tooth comb.

My skyactiv would average 37.5mpg (according to the computer).

My speed is registering 28.5 mpg. Commute is 23 miles each way in rush hour LA traffic.

So, real world numbers would be 35-36mpg for my skyactiv and 26-27mpg for the mazdaspeed.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Let the car idle for a solid 15-20 minutes. If it smokes when you rev it to drive off the turbo needs a rebuild. Compression should be around 180 psi for all cylinders with no leak down psi loss.. A few percent difference between cylinders is ok. Insist on a compression test with a sheet showing the results before buying the car. An engine rebuild is $4500!!!!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I get about 24-25 mpg. It really depends on how you drive the car. pushing it lowers mpg by a few.

honestly. I love getting the best mpg possible, but, with the speed3, you soon forget about mpg and enjoy driving a whole lot more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My skyactiv would average 37.5mpg (according to the computer).

My speed is registering 28.5 mpg. Commute is 23 miles each way in rush hour LA traffic.

So, real world numbers would be 35-36mpg for my skyactiv and 26-27mpg for the mazdaspeed.
Cool, not horrible numbers by any means. Definitely better than my other vehicle. Thank you.

Let the car idle for a solid 15-20 minutes. If it smokes when you rev it to drive off the turbo needs a rebuild. Compression should be around 180 psi for all cylinders with no leak down psi loss.. A few percent difference between cylinders is ok. Insist on a compression test with a sheet showing the results before buying the car. An engine rebuild is $4500!!!!
Thank you. I think I am going to go for it. I have another option for a black 2010 with a reconditioned title with 27k miles on it. Im going to take a look at both of them this weekend. The original one has been for sale going on 3 months so I am hoping to get a killer deal on it if it checks out. Thank you for all the help guys. I will let you know if I have any other questions and if I am a new owner of a Speed 3 within the next couple weeks.

Speaking of which, is there anybody that any of you guys know of that lives in Dallas/Ft Worth TX that may want to come and take a look at the one with a reconditioned title with me? Somebody that knows the car would definitely give me a big advantage. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Here's a link to a group of Mazdsapeed3 owners in your area that I'm sure would be willing to go with you and let you know if the the MS3 is worth buying. Go to a meet, introduce yourself, explain your situation and guaranteed a few if not all will help.

MSF has chapters all around the US called NATOR. The one I'm referring you to is the DFW chapter. They call themselves ROTAN DWF.

You need to join MSR.org and be logged in to see the page. This link is for their homepage on MSF.
Mazdaspeed Forums

1 - 14 of 14 Posts