2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well crap, I came home today and my neighbour parked a little closer over but I figured I could maneuver in. Keep in mind, I had a MINI before so I'm still getting used to the 'bigger' size of the Mazda3. Well I hit the concrete pillar on the other side and of course the scrape got worse as I had to back up! :shocked: :argh 1:

My car is just over a week old! It's pretty scraped up and there is also a small dent. Sigh. I swear I have crap luck with new cars. My last one got a huge rock chip in the windshield 5 minutes after driving off the lot!

Oh well, it's just cosmetic. Good news is I'll be a the dealer Monday anyway getting my tint so I will get an estimate then. This just sucks. :no:

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Damn that sucks. On the bright side you made me feel better about the tiny door ding and 1/4" scratches someone left me in a parking lot the other day.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ouch that sucks!! I too have bad luck with cars. It'll look good as new after the repair.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dr Color Chip.

I helped a buddy with a similar situation make his car look a lot better. He didn't want to get insurance involved and he didn't want to tell his wife.

Buff out what you can and clean the surface. Watch youtube videos on how to cover large areas. Again it wont be perfect but it will look better.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Damn that sucks. On the bright side you made me feel better about the tiny door ding and 1/4" scratches someone left me in a parking lot the other day.
Same here... I feel like a baby for getting worked up over my dent/scratch now. Much sympathies for you. Hope it isn't much... but thankfully it doesn't get in the way of operation :rockon 1:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Yeah, I freaked out at first, but it's only cosmetic. Not like I got in an accident that can affect the car for life. Hopefully it doesn't cost a ton to fix so I don't have to get insurance involved. Sometimes it just depends on the location. It's basically all along the rear wheel where it kind of juts out and along that 'bend'.

On the plus side, I've got the first ding out of the way really early so hopefully that is it for a long time!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So been shopping around for estimates and looks like it's going to be around $2000!!! Shit. The dealer had the dent/paint guy look at it and he actually cleaned it up for free and it doesn't look as noticeable as before, but it's not fixed or anything. He was saying $600, but I'm weary since the body shop whose estimate was around $2000 was saying they had to remove the bumper, panel, etc.

I'm going to visit a couple more places, but I'm also concerned it might start to rust due to the exposed metal on some of the scrapes. I don't want to claim it on insurance, even though my deductible is $500, as my rates will almost certainly go up and I'll lose my discounts (accident-free, etc.).

Just sucks :(

·
Registered
476 Posts
Talk to your insurance company. Some companies have an accident forgiveness clause if you've been with them for awhile and never had a claim. Won't lose your discounts, either.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So been shopping around for estimates and looks like it's going to be around $2000!!! Shit. The dealer had the dent/paint guy look at it and he actually cleaned it up for free and it doesn't look as noticeable as before, but it's not fixed or anything. He was saying $600, but I'm weary since the body shop whose estimate was around $2000 was saying they had to remove the bumper, panel, etc.

I'm going to visit a couple more places, but I'm also concerned it might start to rust due to the exposed metal on some of the scrapes. I don't want to claim it on insurance, even though my deductible is $500, as my rates will almost certainly go up and I'll lose my discounts (accident-free, etc.).

Just sucks :(
I would ask the guy who gave you $600 what steps would be involved, and also, including if there's wet-sand at the end to eliminate any dust specs and orange peel.

I've had front fender repaired before without taking it off. I think you can get pretty decent result as long as there's enough gap between bumper and fender, and fender and light housing.

If they are butting up against each other, then it becomes hard to resolve the edges. It might take on too much paint, too little paint, or even bubble.

Even with parts coming off, I think $2000 is extreme, but it's possible that the quote included repainting part of the front-door for 'blending'.

So sorry to hear about this, and best of luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Talk to your insurance company. Some companies have an accident forgiveness clause if you've been with them for awhile and never had a claim. Won't lose your discounts, either.
Yeah I already did. I have Progressive and been with them for over 4 years so have small accident forgiveness, and next year get large accident forgiveness. Problem is, they were dancing around what constitutes a 'small' vs. 'large' accident. Anyway, since this is my fault I'm pretty sure the rates would go up.

I would ask the guy who gave you $600 what steps would be involved, and also, including if there's wet-sand at the end to eliminate any dust specs and orange peel.

I've had front fender repaired before without taking it off. I think you can get pretty decent result as long as there's enough gap between bumper and fender, and fender and light housing.

If they are butting up against each other, then it becomes hard to resolve the edges. It might take on too much paint, too little paint, or even bubble.

Even with parts coming off, I think $2000 is extreme, but it's possible that the quote included repainting part of the front-door for 'blending'.

So sorry to hear about this, and best of luck.
Thanks, I'm going to keep looking as there was such a discrepancy. I thought $2000 was really high too. It sucks it happened, but at least it's basically cosmetic and would rather this be my 'incident' than a full on accident with another vehicle that can affect the driving of the car. Hopefully this is my only 'oopsie' with this car and it's out of the way ha.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another reputable body shop quoted ~$1300, so that's much better. I'm actually almost tempted to scrap getting the dents fixed and seeing if they can just tidy it up paint-wise. They have to take a lot of the car apart to do the fix (rear bumper, roof, rear lights, etc.) and not sure I really want that right now. I'd be happy to just have it patched up for now, then do that kind of major work if I was going to sell it as it doesn't look THAT bad. I'm more worried about rust, etc.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is it down to the metal? or primer? It's kind of hard to tell in the first picture.
It's a mix of both. There are parts where it's down to the metal and the 'crease' in the wheel well has been pretty much smoothed out lol. I'll have to post another pic sometime since the dealer paint guy cleaned it up a bit when I picked up my license plates so it's not all white looking anymore and not quite as noticeable, but you can clearly see bare metal in spots.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so need some input on the estimate for the repair. I've been able to get it down to just under $1200 at a reputable body shop, but I still feel like they want to repair more than is really needed and feel it could come down quite a bit if I don't get this 'extra' stuff they are wanting to do done.

So the majority of the damage is on the right quarter panel with deep scratches, exposed metal and dents which will require repair and they will also replace the rightt stone guard. The part that irks me is that there are a few small-medium scratches on the right rear door (no dents) that I can live with and they are saying they need to dismantle and re-paint the entire rear door and the right roof trim along the top to 'blend' the paint. However, the car is barely a month old so can it really need blending that much? Does it really need this? I just want to limit the amount of dismantling/painting as much as possible and on the estimate they have them removing the entire rear door and all it's 'pieces'. I feel this might be overkill? They said they won't guarantee blending unless they do this, but I really don't know if that is necessary. They also have to remove the rear bumper and both rear lights, but I'm guessing that is just needed to remove the quarter panel, etc.

So what do you guys think? I'm honestly comfortable with the rear door scratches and it not being touched at all since it seems like a lot of removal, re-install and re-paint in order to just blend it and remove those scratches. I don't want it to look bad, but I also feel it is so new that would it REALLY be that noticeable if the rear door/roof panel isn't blended? I think it will cut the price down quite a bit.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Let them blend it. You don't want to let a bodyshop try to match stuff straight out unless you have an easy color to work with. With all the pearls and flakes that Mazda uses, I've seen some bad paint matches for add-on aftermarket parts that were not blended at the body panels.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Let them blend it. You don't want to let a bodyshop try to match stuff straight out unless you have an easy color to work with. With all the pearls and flakes that Mazda uses, I've seen some bad paint matches for add-on aftermarket parts that were not blended at the body panels.
I agree. With todays finishes, you really need to have it blended. Once upon a time, with the straight gloss colors, you could get away with not blending it and never see a difference, but with todays finishes, it's much tougher.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah ok. Thanks guys. I'm still trying to decide whether to get it done now or just wait a bit. However, if I wait, not sure if I should touch it up or something where it's down to the metal as I'm afraid it might rust? Not even sure how long this takes, but as I live in Seattle and it's a generally moist climate I'm guessing not long lol. Any ideas on what to do? Just get it all fixed or wait a bit and touch it up with something? It just seems like so much work for such a small area. Sigh.

·
Somewhere in the Matrix
170 Posts
Get it fixed!!!! It will make you feel better knowing all is right with your 3.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts