2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

This seems like a great forum to join and get more information on the 2015 Mazda 3 and learn about user experience.

Just came back from a test drive of a 2.0 Auto full optioned model. Fit and finish is approaching Audit level, very comfy seats, and car looks amazing. My only few issues that require your kind feedback are the following:.

1) The ride quality was fine, but the car leans too much during cornering. Beefier sway bars would be required, are there any that are made for this car by Mazdaspeed or other reputable brands? Are they easy to install as a DIY?

2) The road noise was higher than I expected, although I can probably live with it. I test drioe the sedan, would the hatchback be worse?

3) The engine was weak, I expected a bit more torque. On upshifts, it was very noisy with noise intruding into the cabin. Could that be a result of the engine having less than 1000 miles, does it get any better with age?

Love the car but I need your assistance with these possibly troubling issues.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome!

1) Corksport and Tri-Point Engineering would be your best bet for sway bars (and general aftermarket stuff). I personally have some Corksport stuff in my car (look in my sig) and I have heard good things about Tri-Point's bar. At this time I don't know if Tri-Point has a bar for the 3rd Gens, but I know that Corksport does.

2) I have a hatch, and I have been told that the road noise is a little higher than in sedans, which would make sense since the trunk isn't sealed off. Maybe someone else can weigh in?

3) It's a 2.0 Litre, not much power in the lower rev ranges. Just downshift into 2nd or 3rd when you need power. Peak torque in these engines is somewhere around the 4000 RPM range. If you want more power might I suggest a Speed3?

I hope these help :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hi all,

This seems like a great forum to join and get more information on the 2015 Mazda 3 and learn about user experience.

Just came back from a test drive of a 2.0 Auto full optioned model. Fit and finish is approaching Audit level, very comfy seats, and car looks amazing. My only few issues that require your kind feedback are the following:.

1) The ride quality was fine, but the car leans too much during cornering. Beefier sway bars would be required, are there any that are made for this car by Mazdaspeed or other reputable brands? Are they easy to install as a DIY?

2) The road noise was higher than I expected, although I can probably live with it. I test drioe the sedan, would the hatchback be worse?

3) The engine was weak, I expected a bit more torque. On upshifts, it was very noisy with noise intruding into the cabin. Could that be a result of the engine having less than 1000 miles, does it get any better with age?

Love the car but I need your assistance with these possibly troubling issues.

Mazda 3's have far too much wheel gap in stock form..at least the hatchback does. Lowering the suspension and a simple aftermarket RSB should fix that completely and is a very common modification on these cars. My guess on the road noise is brand new tires on the test car..plus they are stock. You can shop around for better tires that are more quiet, many have. I cannot comment on cabin noise as I have nothing to compare mine to and has never been an issue for me personally. I have noticed some people adding soundproofing to the 2014 models cabin after their purchase.

Even though the engine is a 2.0, I would say it is far from weak. These engines have tons of torque as Mazda is known for but there is a learning curve coming from a different car or in my case truck. Getting confident/comfortable with downshifting is a must. Getting a feel for torque ranges is a must..takes a few weeks after purchase to get good with. As stated, max torque will be found after about 3500rpm. If in the correct gear when you punch it, you'll hit that quickly. About that time you get pulled back in the seat. Shift after 5000rpm but the closer you pull till red the higher (and more ready) the next gear will be when you shift.
^^not recommending this but this is how I achieve a very fast 0-60 and have done it enough times to safely say these 2.0 SkyActiv's are NOT weak. It's more like a sleeper of a 2.0 engine lol. The 2.5 is said to be much more obviously powerful and then there is the Speed3 which is just insane.

I think you'd be very happy with a 3. Whichever one you would get, I hope this helps answer some of you questions regarding. Best of luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The sky only has 148lb of torque. Not enough to put you back in the seat when you gas it imo

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I hate to start a big argument here, but take it from an automotive engineer; what you feel as acceleration is not engine torque, it is engine power. It is the basic equation of motion of a vehicle. If you want more acceleration you can get the 2.5L engine, or just press the gas pedal further down.

In general, performance and fuel economy are opposit sides of a teeter-totter.

Dave

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem is, I have an NC and a 4x4 V6 for the daily grind, which I planned to supplement with the Mazda 3. The NC is fully modified, excluding the engine, to ensure reliability, it is a 6 speed manual and feels so much peppier! I believe it would a matter of getting used to the torque curve and knowing when to change gears. The auto gear change was slower than expected. Not many other cars with this combination of quality and equipment, so the Mazda 3 remains in the top 3 for now :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Problem is, I have an NC and a 4x4 V6 for the daily grind, which I planned to supplement with the Mazda 3. The NC is fully modified, excluding the engine, to ensure reliability, it is a 6 speed manual and feels so much peppier! I believe it would a matter of getting used to the torque curve and knowing when to change gears. The auto gear change was slower than expected. Not many other cars with this combination of quality and equipment, so the Mazda 3 remains in the top 3 for now :D
Just out of curiosity with the automatic, were you in Manual-Shift at all? I drive the 2013 A/T and I find the manual mode to be quite quick

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
I have gone from a gen 2 sedan to a gen 2 hatch.. and the hatch has more noise that the sedan... i dunno why though.. could be some aerodynamics.. including the wing spoiler on the gen 2 speed

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
your driving it wrong :p although I wouldn't buy a 2.0 auto I test drove one and thought it was indeed pretty weak feeling.
Alright I'll make sure to floor it going up hill to achieve being thrown back haha but yes it is indeed weak whether you're feeling engine power or torque it still equates to the same disappointment like buying a girl a drink but never taking her home

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do CAIs make a noticeable difference on Skyactive engines? Just thinking of options to bump up the power slightly. I would not mind having my NC engine put in the 3 with manual shifter, only problem is that my wife would not be able to use drive the car, which is not bad thing :D

·
Registered
752 Posts
Do CAIs make a noticeable difference on Skyactive engines? Just thinking of options to bump up the power slightly. I would not mind having my NC engine put in the 3 with manual shifter, only problem is that my wife would not be able to use drive the car, which is not bad thing :D
not really. after doing a SRI with cold air box and full exhaust Im pretty sure I can feel a little difference but its nothing dramatic. In your original post you were talking about the road noise being louder than expected and when it down shifts being louder than expected. so I think installing an Intake or exhaust is last on your list as if you install one or both of those mods be prepared to hear the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fully understand, I know all well about performance mufflers from my NC:cheesy: I meant road noise was louder than expected, especially in a modern design like this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts