2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a lot of talk about the Bose 10 speaker system that comes with the Tech Pakage upgrade, but I've been wondering about the base line stereo. What comes with the Speed if you don't get the Tech upgrade and is it really much more horrible than the Bose?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The Speed comes equipped with six speakers. Two full ranges in the rear doors, two full ranges in the front doors and two tweeters in the sail panels. Very poor quality...non-treated paper cone woofers and what looks like a simple mylar or polycarbonate film tweeter...no dedicated crossover to speak of, merely a small capacitor to keep the tweeter from playing too low.

The system is pretty shabby...couldn't have really cost more than $30 for the speakers (an I think I'm being a bit gerous with the $30 amount).

The Good: the speakers make sound!

The Bad: the sound that the speakers do make is not very high-quality.

If you can afford to upgrade (even if it's upgrading to some entry-level aftermarket speakers and running them off the existing power) do so. For $100-$150 you can do a lot better than what the vehicle came with.

Also, if you're contemplating upgrading the sound system then I'd forego the tech package with the BOSE and GPS...the added cost for what amounts to a tiny-screened GPS is not worth it. For the cost of the tech package you can get a really satisfying audio system with a stand-alone GPS unit that has a bigger screen.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tinker - that's kinda what I was thinking cuz I'm not yet sold on the Tech pakage for what it costs. I don't want the Nav, I'd replace the Bose anyway, and do I really want the push button start?...well, yeah, but not at that cost.

Good info.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Tinker - that's kinda what I was thinking cuz I'm not yet sold on the Tech pakage for what it costs. I don't want the Nav, I'd replace the Bose anyway, and do I really want the push button start?...well, yeah, but not at that cost.

Good info.
See, I think I am in the minority on this one. I am of the opinion that the ~$1100 for the Technology Package is a nice little deal for a subtle, yet slick, integrated navigation system...and the push-button start. Sure, suctioning a Garmin to your windshield is cheaper, but it also does away with the clean look of your interior. It boiled down to about 4% of the total cost of the car.

By comparison, the navigation package in Mrs. Dormie's CX-9 cost us almost $4000 and the only thing better about that is that the audio controls are integrated and the screen is bigger (and has touch-screen controls). I happen to like having the nav screen right in my line of sight.

·
Hella-gone
416 Posts
See, I think I am in the minority on this one. I am of the opinion that the ~$1100 for the Technology Package is a nice little deal for a subtle, yet slick, integrated navigation system...and the push-button start. Sure, suctioning a Garmin to your windshield is cheaper, but it also does away with the clean look of your interior. It boiled down to about 4% of the total cost of the car.

By comparison, the navigation package in Mrs. Dormie's CX-9 cost us almost $4000 and the only thing better about that is that the audio controls are integrated and the screen is bigger (and has touch-screen controls). I happen to like having the nav screen right in my line of sight.
I'm with ya on this. I've got a MZ3 GT, so I have the Bose/Sun roof and the Teck packages. The Nav system is fine and it would be even better if it had updated software. The $2000 nav system in our Edge is about the same (with touch screen) as my MZ3 and my $100 Garmin. My $100 garmin has about the same size screen as my MZ3's screen.

Bryce

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The tech package for $1100 may be worth it to you if you're willing to keep the BOSE audio system...for those of us that are not content with the BOSE system then the $1100 buys us a push-button starter (a neat little novelty but not what I'd consider a necessity) and an out-of-date nav system with the screen size of a $100 Garmin.

The Speed3 does not come with the option for a sunroof even with the tech package.

For those intent of aftermarket audio, the tech package is not a very good deal.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Totally agree on this. Plus, I'm completely spoiled by not only the push button start, but the keyless entry as well. My keys stay in my pocket until I have to get into my house. When I take the family out in my wife's minivan, I forget that I have to actually get my keys out to not only get in it, but to start it up! Seems like such a chore now, lol.

N

·
0 Posts
i'm coming to the conclusion that my tech package was only good for the keyless entry and push button start - everything else has been disappointing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't get why everyone complains about the screen size of the GPS, I don't really ever look at the screen more than a moment and rely on the audio directioins more than the screen. When my wife is looking at a map next to me and giving me directions I listen to her directions and drive not look at the map and listen to her. I guess a bigger screen might be a little nicer but I am content with the screen size. Also the keyless push button start is awesome when I have the diaper bag, stroller, my son, and whatever else in my hands. The Bose is fine for me, I will be adding a sub and will be content with that. I do agree though that if you are hell bent on getting an aftermarket system the package is definitely not as appealing.

For me, the tech package was worth the money. Your mileage may differ.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All very good points. I know everyone is all jacked about GPS these days, but I'm not. I've used them in company vehicles and find them rather annoying. I would have very little use for it so I couldn't care less about the screen size and wouldn't be adding an aftermarket one that would mess with the "clean look of the interior."

BUt, on the other hand, some of you are right $1100 isn't all that much, I guess to at least have the push button start and advanced keyless entry...I guess it will all come down to what sounds best at the time of purchase, which by and large, is not happening nearly soon enough :argh 1:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with both sides here. I love my tech package, the nav is good enough and the stereo, well its okay (I may upgrade the sub or speakers at some point). One other little subtle difference is when you have the tech package, the MID screen is much higher resolution (and I believe has more functions aka the stereo track/station info (??)) than that crappy dot matrix looking MID display in non-tech. The advanced keyless system is great though.

The way I look at it is that if I had to fore go all the niceties that came with the GT with tech pkg, then I am not sure I would have purchased a Mazda3 in the first place as that is what sets it apart for me (a little luxury sports car for a little price). Now I agree that a speed is a totally different animal with a different market. But even if I was in the market for one of those, I would wait until 2011 and hope that they offer a GT speed and would definitely opt for the tech pkg.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Track and Station info show up on the display in my non-tech speed, i was under the impression that this screen didnt change with the tech package

·
Registered
128 Posts
The screen on the left (non red) changes. With tech pkg it is a high res screen with color. Without tech pkg is a dot matrix monochrome display...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
For me, the tech package was worth the money. Your mileage may differ.
This is pretty much what the decision boils down to...either way, the performance and functionality of the car is still top notch. It's nice to know that the biggest nits we have to pick are about "luxury" items.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The way I look at it is that if I had to fore go all the niceties that came with the GT with tech pkg, then I am not sure I would have purchased a Mazda3 in the first place as that is what sets it apart for me (a little luxury sports car for a little price).
Very well said there. I was first attracted to the 3 because of all of the available luxury and technology options at an affordable price (AND that it's a sharp looking car). When I was looking for cars knowing I was going to downsize from a 255hp Nissan Maxima, I wanted to at least enjoy the ride for the toys, bells and whistles...because I certainly ain't enjoying the 3 for it's power.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is pretty much what the decision boils down to...either way, the performance and functionality of the car is still top notch. It's nice to know that the biggest nits we have to pick are about "luxury" items.
Yeah I absolutely agree! I really wanted a GT version of the 2010 but the only thing I really wanted was the HID's. Which I just ordered! Then I just read where you can add the heated mirrors and that would be great as well. Overall I have been really satisfied with the car.

My previous car was a 1999 Maxima wtih 5 spd, whichs the manual is kind of rare. But I LOVED that car! But the Speed and Handling of the Speed3 is awesome! I actually have more luxury options minus the sunroof on this car than the Maxima.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts