2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. I bought a mechanical key (non transponder) cut to match my electronic key in hopes of entering the car in case I locked myself out of the vehicle again. The key fits in the lock cylinder and turns and I can hear the lock actuator moving inside the door but...the door will not unlock. The car is a 2007 Mazdaspeed3. Is there a factory installed feature preventing me from entering the car without a diode key in the lock cylinder? Can it be disabled or overidden? Thank you, rpmstar. BTW... Just think about all those Fords out there with Mazda Ecoboost engines. You can get an Ecoboost engine in almost any Ford car and the F150 too!...but you can't get get the Mazda turbo in many Mazda models.

·
Super Moderator
4,431 Posts
Maybe the lock mechanism itself is the problem? If its turning and nothing is happening, it might not be working as it should.
Mazda doesn't use MZR based engines any more and hasn't since the gen 3 cars were introduced. They aren't Mazda engines, they are Ford engines. The MZR was designed by Mazda, but Ford has the design rights and has had since 2003. Mazda used that engine because they were in a partnership with Ford at the time, and Mazda vehicles shared common platforms with Ford vehicles.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My guess from experience is that the key was not cut properly or the incorrect blank was used. Some of the blanks only differ slightly and the non-oem's are not exact. Soon after I got my 2017, I also got some additional keys cut as well. I went to a high end professional car locksmith and it took them multiple attempts to get each key cut properly. In my case the key would unlock the door but it would not lock the door. If I recall, the tech mentioned it wasn't any special issue, but only that it was a very delicate/fine cut and thought Mazda did it intentionally. Maybe a good thing. Ever since that experience, I would think twice about using one of those self cutting gizmos you see at some Auto Parts stores and hardware stores.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the lock mechanism itself is the problem? If its turning and nothing is happening, it might not be working as it should.
Mazda doesn't use MZR based engines any more and hasn't since the gen 3 cars were introduced. They aren't Mazda engines, they are Ford engines. The MZR was designed by Mazda, but Ford has the design rights and has had since 2003. Mazda used that engine because they were in a partnership with Ford at the time, and Mazda vehicles shared common platforms with Ford vehicles.
The EcoBoost engine is a derivative of the Mazda L engine family. Mazda key technology isa derivative of Ford PATS system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess from experience is that the key was not cut properly or the incorrect blank was used. Some of the blanks only differ slightly and the non-oem's are not exact. Soon after I got my 2017, I also got some additional keys cut as well. I went to a high end professional car locksmith and it took them multiple attempts to get each key cut properly. In my case the key would unlock the door but it would not lock the door. If I recall, the tech mentioned it wasn't any special issue, but only that it was a very delicate/fine cut and thought Mazda did it intentionally. Maybe a good thing. Ever since that experience, I would think twice about using one of those self cutting gizmos you see at some Auto Parts stores and hardware stores.
Think twice, cut once. The "selfcuttinggizmos" are widely regarded (and rightly so) as more accurate than a hand operated table. Most hand operated tables are uh...old...and have much wear.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Think twice, cut once. The "selfcuttinggizmos" are widely regarded (and rightly so) as more accurate than a hand operated table. Most hand operated tables are uh...old...and have much wear.
I was unaware the little box on the counter received such positive reviews but they seem like they would have some limitations, but then again I'm pretty sure I received better customer service though as my car was sitting in their shop and it was just a matter of them walking back and forth 20 feet to get the key cut correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts