2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've spent the last 2 hours searching the web and can't find my problem.
I have a 2011 speed3 w/ tech. Idk how I did it but when putting in led dome lights I some how shorted something in the overhead light not the map lights.

Now none of the dome or map lights will come on when the doors are open, any of them and my push button for the starter wont light up nore do I get the welcome chime. I can turn the dome lights on as well as the map lights by moving the switch to on and the car will start. There is no blown fues, I've checked every one both under the hood and in the car.

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Buried in the settings menu, there is a "Welcome" on or off option. That's your chime. Maybe it got reset to off by accident. I am guessing there might be a similar option for the interior lights?

If that doesn't fix it, I'd switch back to the standard bulb and see if that restores the original behavior. And failing that, you may need to "reboot" you car by disconnecting the battery, wait (not sure how long), and reconnect. In that case, you would also lose all your settings -- clock, radio stations, ECU, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I found my problem, its the illumination module or whatever its called. Why Mazda didn't fues protect it is beyond me and why you can short the light out and not pop the fues is another mystery. Wtf Mazda!!!

Going to find the module and crack it open and see what fried. I've only seen 2 other posts on different forums about this and one was caused by an aftermarket alarm and the other was the module going bad and not letting the lights go out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't got around too messing with it yet, I believe its between the radio and the glove box and saw a post on mazdaspeed that the module is over $1000 for just the part.

On the up side no more ding ding when listening to the radio with the door open lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem. The front and rear dome lights only work if i turn them on manually. I've been searching everywhere for something relate-able to my problem. I was installing some leds and must have fried something but I cant seem to find anything like how to fix it or wiring diagrams to where the dome lights are connected to something such as a main control.

So if you have any info I would greatly appreciate it as I have the same problem and don't want to take it into the dealership for them to charge me $$$$ to fix something I can do myself. :smile2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I've narrowed it down to this. I looked up a wiring diagram for the dome lights and this is what controls them. It's called a "body control module". Apparently lots of issues can happen with these being "fried" in other Mazda vehicles. That's because they didn't add protection against fix it yourself people like me and I'm guilty of that. Made a slight mistake, but I can fix it myself and for a decent price. I've found them for under a $100. Just gotta make sure its the right one of coarse. I've taken mine out and had a look at it. It's just located behind the fuse panel inside the car. Again this is if you didn't blow a fuse and now something like dome lights or something else may not work. This could be your culprit, though I can't guarantee this, I'm just sharing my experiences. I have yet to buy a replacement body control module as my car works fine besides the dome lights not fully functioning.

Hope this helps everyone

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I've narrowed it down to this. I looked up a wiring diagram for the dome lights and this is what controls them. It's called a "body control module". Apparently lots of issues can happen with these being "fried" in other Mazda vehicles. That's because they didn't add protection against fix it yourself people like me and I'm guilty of that. Made a slight mistake, but I can fix it myself and for a decent price. I've found them for under a $100. Just gotta make sure its the right one of coarse. I've taken mine out and had a look at it. It's just located behind the fuse panel inside the car. Again this is if you didn't blow a fuse and now something like dome lights or something else may not work. This could be your culprit, though I can't guarantee this, I'm just sharing my experiences. I have yet to buy a replacement body control module as my car works fine besides the dome lights not fully functioning.

Hope this helps everyone
Hi Can you unplug the bcm and plug it back in will the vehicle still start or does it need to be programmed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts