2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am sure as you all know the North East got hit with some pretty heavy snow and I just experienced my first drive in the Speed while driving through snow. So as I was leaving work I try to drive the Speed but I couldn't seem to get much traction. I wasn't spinning the wheels like a mad man I was tapping the gas and trying to get out of high gear. I have Dunlop SP Sport tires. I seen other Mazda 3's driving with no problem. Is it my tires or is it the fact I suck at driving in the snow with a Speed3 and need practice?

·
Registered
641 Posts
The speeds are very torqey, hence why they spin will just a tap of the throttle.. it will take a little get use to driving in the snow. I use to have a hard time with mine, but once you get comfortable with your car you will know its limits.

And your tires will have an influence. those stock tires suck on dry pavement

·
Registered
641 Posts
^ and that!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Speeds come with High Performance Summers. If you have the budget it's wise to invest in some snows. I went with 16'' snows on aluminum rims. You can get 16'' steelies and snows off tirerack.com for about 800. In the NorthEast (and especially the last couple years) they'd definitely be worth it.

I pretty much haven't had ABS engage all winter and I can drive the speed limit. It's a bit comical driving around people like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replies. I did notice these cars a bit a kick of torque so its hard to just tap the pedal to get it going. I do want to invest some money buying all season tires. I do try to get out of first as fast as I can to get into second or third so the wheels wont spin. I actually thought about buying a front tower bar from Cork Sport. Would that help besides giving better handling?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Why not get snow tires? I have Blizzak WS70's and they make a world of a difference!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If money is the problem... Deflate the tires to 25 psi to make them extremely soft.. And start off at 2nd gear

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am aware that they are summer tires. I just thought they would have some benefits to driving in other weather conditions but I guess not.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Doesn't sound like a bad plan. How do they perform rest of the year?
I put mine away come april and put on my summer tires.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
They're ok in the rain till the tread wears down. Then they get scary.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts