1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Looks like it has buck teeth lol

·
Registered
253 Posts
This one has a frowny face and not a smile....

I CAN DIG IT!:drool:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can see this design language transitioning into production pretty well. It's a much more aggressive style and probably an easier sell than the Nagare design language our 3's are based on.

I can easily see the next RX being based on this design language. Slap a twin-turbo 6 in there with a MazdaSpeed tuned suspension and you'd have a pretty damn impressive ride both from a performance and aesthetic standpoint. Keep it at or under $35K and you'd have a Nismo 370Z killer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I read this same article on Motortrend.com today. This seems insane, but it says that the 2.2 Liter Diesel they are developing has 182 hp and 310 lb ft of torque. Estimated Fuel Economy hovering around 40 mpg hwy? Those are great specs. So it sounds to me like it could rival something like the GTI but for the price of the Mazda. I read a drive review in Car and Driver about this and they claimed that the gasoline engine was slow to accelerate, due in part to it being set to have less torque and horsepower. That combined with its need for 90+ octane gas seems like a losing proposition to me. Why would you want to drive a Mazda 3 that is slower with less torque (i.e. speed off the line) that costs more to fill up, in exchange for 5 more mpg or so? They also said the new automatic sucks (paraphrasing here) though they admit that its still in mid development stage. Sounds like the Diesel 6 speed manual will be the way to go if it makes it over here by 2012. Heres the C&D article..

Mazda Engine News: Mazda Sky Gas and Diesel Details ? Car and Driver

·
Registered
144 Posts
The new concept car looks really interesting, and I like it. From the side, it kind of reminds me of a shark, given the finish, but I think it's potentially a lot less polarizing than the Nagare concept realized on the 2010 mazda3. Can't wait to see how it filters down to production cars.

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah I've been following that as well. The most accurate and up-to-date report on this design shift that I could find was on Motortrend, where they included some powertrain numbers that, for the diesel SKY engine particularly, sounded pretty nice, though one has to wonder if they'll put that engine into a smaller platform like the 3, particularly with all that torque. I'm looking forward to what engine developments come from Mazda and other companies in the next 3 or so years when I'll be looking to replace my 3; the way things are looking now though, I could see myself going with either a Ford, VW or even a Hyundai if they decide to get into the 5-door hot hatch segment. I hope Mazda steps up their engine development though so I could stay with them, they really need to improve both efficiency and power.

Mazda Shinari Concept and Sky Engines Inside Look - Motor Trend

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Based on a quick glance at both links, I would say the potential next gen has a Jaguar/Maseratti look in the front end. Just an observation!

·
Registered
50 Posts

I like the style of the interior...has a very open look making it look more roomy....the roof is awesome but they better have one big sun reflector to keep those hot rays out! :sweatdrop:

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
If they bring that car to reality in the ops link I would need a new pair of pants.... just like if they brought the Furai to reality and street use

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, I know who I'm buying my next car from.
Honda?

LOL Mazda stepped their game up with this one. It has a frowny face now :yes:

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
yeah, saw this the other day (on tumblr, lol). i freaking love it.

let's all keep in mind that production cars never look exactly like their concept counterparts though.

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
"No Shinari Love Here?"

Hey it's been my avatar for a whole week now ! I would love to see the front end integrated into a HB body ......:yes:

·
Registered
141 Posts
yeah, saw this the other day (on tumblr, lol). i freaking love it.

let's all keep in mind that production cars never look exactly like their concept counterparts though.
Mazda does a pretty good job of keeping their production cars fairly similar to the concepts...look at the concepts for the previous 3, and the current gen 3. The nagre influence is very clear in all their current models...though not so much the 6. I can see it in the 2, the 3, the new 5

seems pretty early to be relieving a totally new design language to me though....I know people are pretty torn on the styling of the 2010 3...maybe they feel they need to fix that...i personally love the 2010s styling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts