2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"No Playable Files" error when trying to play audio from iPhone connected via USB

I bought my 2015 Mazda3 in May. Since then, I've been using the USB connection with my iPhone happily. (Apple Music, Rdio, Spotify, Overcast, etc). The Bluetooth audio quality has been very poor, so I was happy to use the USB audio.

Yesterday, this just stopped working for me. Whenever I plug in my iPhone 6 via USB to Lightning cable, I get a "No Playable Files" error. I had never seen this before yesterday. I used to see the occasional "Authentication Error" but unplugging and replugging would usually fix it. Now I get "No Playable Files" every time.

I'm not sure what's different. I haven't touched anything on the Mazda 3 infotainment system. The most likely candidate is that I'm running iOS 9.1 beta 4 on my iPhone. I thought it had been working fine with this version, but it's possible I haven't tested it since upgrading to b4. I know for sure that previous iOS 9.1 betas worked properly.

One important note: I'm running Infotainment version 31.00.100. I'm planning to update to the latest 55.00.753A since I've heard the Bluetooth audio quality should be improved (or at least the skips eliminated). I will probably try that after upgrading to 9.1 b5.

Has anyone else encountered this or have any idea how to fix it? I'm going to try updating to 9.1 beta 5 now that it's out, but I'm really nervous that 9.1 final is going to break USB audio on the iPhone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Updating to 9.1 beta 5 didn't fix it, same problem. I also had a significant amount of lint in my Lightning port on my phone, and I had hope that it would resolve the problem, but still exists. :(

Anyone else have ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Further update. Now I'm getting more nervous.

I updated to 55.00.753A and left it virgin without making any tweaks. My iPhone 6 running iOS 9.1 beta 5 wouldn't play any music through Lightning cable to USB port, it always says "No Playable Files".

I tried a couple of other Apple devices that I have running different iOS versions.

a) An iPad mini running iOS 7.1.2. It played fine via USB.
b) An iPhone 5 running iOS 8.4. It played fine via USB.
b) An iPad mini 2 running iOS 9.1 beta 1. It actually gave a "No Playable Files" error but did actually play a song. You can see the song info in this screenshot with the error over top. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmdkva2wsi2c1t1/Screenshot 2015-10-15 22.13.44.png?dl=0

At this point, I am thinking that iOS 9.1 as of Beta 4 has broken compatibility with the Mazda Infotainment system over USB 3. This is going to affect a lot of people. You may want to hold off updating to iOS 9.1 when it comes out.

I'm a registered iOS Developer so I'll file a bug with them, but there's a slim chance they do anything about it IMO since they won't be able to reproduce it without buying a $20k car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI: I was wrong about this, this isn't an iOS 9.1 problem. This was due to me having no music files on my iPhone in the native Music app. (I exclusively use Spotify so don't need any songs on my Music app). I had even recently deleted the U2 - Songs of Innocence album which probably started the problem happening. Sorry for the false alarm everyone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,
So, this is my first time trying to play music via USB. Its an 8 GB and formatted to Fat32. I keep getting the "no playable files" available. I'm on version 33.0. I've also tried the recommended song formats, and still nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got the same issue, but with an iPod Classic, so there's no "music app" - the iPod is the music app. Got my Mazda 3 three months ago, and have been using the iPod via USB mostly successfully since I got it - occasionally I'd get an "Authentication Failure", but unplugging it and plugging it back in usually fixed that. I would always start a playlist before plugging it in, and stick to that playlist, because the Entertainment system couldn't handle most of my playlists, which tend to have from 500-5000 tracks on them.

Just in the last week, though, I get a "No Playable Files" message every single time I try to use the iPod. The twist is that about 20% of the time it will actually start playing music from the iPod, even as it displays that message. So long as I don't try to access the iPod again, it will continue to play tracks from the playlist. But if I try to display information about the song it's playing, it will stop playing, and from then on won't play anything from the iPod until I restart the car. I've tried rebooting the iPod and a different USB cable, but so far no change.

This is incredibly frustrating - I was charged a premium for an audio system that doesn't sound all that great, plays music when it starts up even if the last thing I did was stop the music, mutes music but continues to play it when it should be pausing it, and now most of the time it won't actually play the music I've selected. The 10-year-old Acura I sold when I bought this car had a better sounding stereo that worked reliably every time, courtesy a cassette adapter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Partway to fixing the "No Playable Files" issue

I may be just a few steps from solving the "No Playable Files" issue that many are experiencing with both USB flash drives and USB devices such as iPhones. I'm posting this in case there are others here more adept at Linux than I who can help fill in the gaps. I have also posted a question at StackOverflow that may get more Linux users viewing it, so check there if the trail here runs cold:

USB flash drive disconnect fix for Mazda3 Infotainment system v55, using Linux 3.0.35 - Stack Overflow

On an initial hypothesis that mount point naming was the culprit (something I found out is a common problem when "resuming" in Linux, as when the car is turned back on after being turned off), I watched the mount points from the terminal when shutting off/resuming. It was true that sometimes the mount point of a device was changed from, for example, sda1 to sdb, or something similar, and this did correspond with the error message appearing in the GUI. So I created a rule to identify my specific device by make and model, in a file that, on this system, is called /etc/udev/rules.d/99-usbdiscoverer.rules:

SUBSYSTEM=="block", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0781", ATTRS{idProduct}=="5575", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on", NAME="my_hard_disk", SYMLINK="My_Drive"

To get your product's vendor and model code, use the terminal and type
Code:
udevadm info -q all -n /dev/sda1
This worked and prevented the drive from being renamed on resume. However the GUI error kept occurring, and now I'm finding that when the error occurs, the mount point is still present by name, but is empty (of files). This leads me to suspect it has been logically disconnected. So my next, and presently only other, hypothesis, is the USB core issue described here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SarahSharp/posts/RZpndv4BCCD

The symptoms described in that article appear to be exactly the ones occurring behind the scenes when the "No Playable Files" error appears.

I'm not so experienced with Linux. I've made the changes to the hub.c file described in that article (essentially changing to a 20ms delay before trying to contact any USB device). I've created a Ubuntu installation just for the purpose of re-compiling this. However, I'm running into two problems:

Whenever I try to compile the hub.c file, I get an error that linux/module.h is missing. It is actually not missing - I have downloaded all the headers and sources using apt-get. I'm attempting this from a distro called ubuntu-gnome-16.04-desktop-amd64.

Secondly, even if I could get this to work, the file hub.ko doesn't exist in the Linux version I'm seeing in the car. The closest path and corresponding set of files I can find are at lib/modules/3.0.35/kernel/drivers/usb, and that directory has three folders containing, respectively:

In a folder called "class" : cdc-acm.ko

In a folder called "gadget" : arcotg_udc.ko, g_audio.ko, g_file_storage.ko, g_ncm.ko, g_serial.ko

In a folder called "serial" : ftdi_sio.ko, pl2303.ko, usbserial.ko

I'm stumped for the moment, so asking for help completing the puzzle. If we could get a patched USB core uploaded into the car, it might solve the "No Playable Files" issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"No Playable Files" : Cause identified as EFI partition, solved for USB drives.

My verbose post about the USB core timing issue hypothesis above may be ignored. While pursuing a solution to that, I stumbled on a much simpler issue that was causing the "No Playable Files" error, at least for me:

If you have formatted a USB drive on a Mac even as MS-FAT32, a hidden EFI partition may have been created. This may also occur in some other operating systems. EFI partitions and what they are for may be learned about with a Google search but this is not necessary to know in order to solve the issue.

It appears that after stopping and resuming the car and infotainment system, about 1 time out of 3, the EFI partition was mounting in place of the main FAT32 partition that contained the playable files. The solution is to format the USB drive without an EFI partition, making sure the drive is just one large "basic data" FAT32 partition. If you are running a Mac OS, you will not be able to see if an EFI partition is present without installing debug tools in the disk utility or knowing how to access it from the command line. To avoid having an EFI partition created on Mac in the first place, the key is to format as Master Boot Record ("MBR"), not GUID Partition Map. See the attached screenshot. Or format directly from a PC or Linux OS.

This may not be the only issue that causes the "No Playable Files" error, but my guess is that it will solve most people's complaints regarding USB drives.

Regarding iPhones and other phones and devices, I would guess a similar issue is at work. Since those devices run their own operating systems, a solution may be harder to find.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem when I started using a new iphone in my Mazda. On my new iphone there were no songs on it so I added one song to the phone using iTunes and then the problem went away. Now I can play Spotify songs through the USB port on the Mazda. The sound quality is way better than using BlueTooth connection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, so now I am getting this message out of the blue.

I have a 2015 Mazda 3 hatch, and I've been running 55.00.753 NA N for at least a year. I have an iPod Touch that is connected via USB that I leave in the center console, and it has also been unchanged for well over a year. When I park the Mazda in the garage, I have the iPod sync to my Mac's iTunes over Wifi. It's nice, I'm able to sync new tunes but I don't have to physically touch anything, and I haven't for at least 6 months.

Several days ago, out of the blue, while playing music off the iPad, I started getting the "No playable files" message... while the iPod was playing a file. It will continue to play track after track, but if you hit OK, or if you switch to the Nav screen and switch back, suddenly the iPod will stop playing and it will revert to FM radio. It's like those old Warner Brothers cartoons where Wile E Coyote has run off the edge of a cliff but gravity doesn't take effect until he actually looks down. The iPod will continue playing these 'unplayable' files until you do something on the screen and them it craps out.

I've endured so many stupid bugs with this infotainment system but this latest one is truly aggravating. I clearly have playable files on my iPod, but I don't know what to try next to remedy the situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Formatting as you pointed out fixed the issue for me. Just curious , how do you access the terminal of the infotainment system?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My verbose post about the USB core timing issue hypothesis above may be ignored. While pursuing a solution to that, I stumbled on a much simpler issue that was causing the "No Playable Files" error, at least for me:

If you have formatted a USB drive on a Mac even as MS-FAT32, a hidden EFI partition may have been created. This may also occur in some other operating systems. EFI partitions and what they are for may be learned about with a Google search but this is not necessary to know in order to solve the issue.

It appears that after stopping and resuming the car and infotainment system, about 1 time out of 3, the EFI partition was mounting in place of the main FAT32 partition that contained the playable files. The solution is to format the USB drive without an EFI partition, making sure the drive is just one large "basic data" FAT32 partition. If you are running a Mac OS, you will not be able to see if an EFI partition is present without installing debug tools in the disk utility or knowing how to access it from the command line. To avoid having an EFI partition created on Mac in the first place, the key is to format as Master Boot Record ("MBR"), not GUID Partition Map. See the attached screenshot. Or format directly from a PC or Linux OS.

This may not be the only issue that causes the "No Playable Files" error, but my guess is that it will solve most people's complaints regarding USB drives.

Regarding iPhones and other phones and devices, I would guess a similar issue is at work. Since those devices run their own operating systems, a solution may be harder to find.
I just formatted my card like you suggested, and now I'm waiting for my music to copy over. If this works, I could kiss you. I have tried literally everything else I could think of and have scoured the internet for a fix. If this is the magic answer I've been searching for, I owe you a beer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought my 2015 Mazda3 in May. Since then, I've been using the USB connection with my iPhone happily. (Apple Music, Rdio, Spotify, Overcast, etc). The Bluetooth audio quality has been very poor, so I was happy to use the USB audio.

Yesterday, this just stopped working for me. Whenever I plug in my iPhone 6 via USB to Lightning cable, I get a "No Playable Files" error. I had never seen this before yesterday. I used to see the occasional "Authentication Error" but unplugging and replugging would usually fix it. Now I get "No Playable Files" every time.

I'm not sure what's different. I haven't touched anything on the Mazda 3 infotainment system. The most likely candidate is that I'm running iOS 9.1 beta 4 on my iPhone. I thought it had been working fine with this version, but it's possible I haven't tested it since upgrading to b4. I know for sure that previous iOS 9.1 betas worked properly.

One important note: I'm running Infotainment version 31.00.100. I'm planning to update to the latest 55.00.753A since I've heard the Bluetooth audio quality should be improved (or at least the skips eliminated). I will probably try that after upgrading to 9.1 b5.

Has anyone else encountered this or have any idea how to fix it? I'm going to try updating to 9.1 beta 5 now that it's out, but I'm really nervous that 9.1 final is going to break USB audio on the iPhone.

Think you have to have music on your actual device. Download that free U2 album

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts

Thanks for this info! Been preparing for a camping/ road trip down to the redwoods. Spent hours accumulating/ organizing new music, repairing tags, etc... only to receive that 'No Playable Files' message, after inserting my flash drive. Delayed my trip one day attempting to solve the problem, there is no way I'm driving hours upon hours without any of my music.

Tried your formatting suggestions on my imac, and I can listen to my music again. Now, I have about 15 GB worth of music to choose from (around 1800 songs).

Tags not 100 percent perfect, I can deal with that upon return. Also, an image of Neil Young pops up whenever I play his songs, instead of the artwork I added to his greatest hits CD. Might try disabling Gracenote next, and see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would it help to re-boot the infotainment centre? Just a thought. I was reading somewhere else that if you press Return+Mute+Nav it reboots the system. Somewhere else I read that turning the car off and on does the same thing. So I don't know. I found this when I was looking to see if there could be a problem removing a usb flash drive with playlists, which has been working fine, and redoing it on computer to add and improve the playlists and then reinserting it. I was trying to find out if the infotainment centre might get confused when reinserting the usb flash drive after the update. If you have any thoughts on this I would like to know as well?

·
Registered
1 Posts
"No Playable Files" : Cause identified as EFI partition, solved for USB drives.

Your are real life savor:), this also solved my problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Think you have to have music on your actual device. Download that free U2 album

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I knew it! This is all an elaborate ruse by Bono from U2 to get me to listen to their album. I refuse! No! I will not download the free U2 album!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts