2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was super exited today to install one of those front tow hook license holders that attach to the front tow hook.

Well, after I took the plastic cover out, I found out that my car doesn't have the socket. Is that a standard thing for 2014?

https://i.imgur.com/X9FxmIZ.jpg

Note: Yes I know those aren't actual tow hooks and just shipment holes or whatever they are called.

·
Rubber side down
256 Posts
I haven't made any attempts to pull those bumper covers off, but in your picture it appears that there is a plastic hole plug that might be removable. Perhaps it is behind that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, that's metal there (about 7 inches deep) with a slight indent where the hole in the metal was supposed to be.

·
Rubber side down
256 Posts
Huh. Well, you got me. Unless it is a removable piece, I haven't the foggiest. Break out the drill and tap?

Edit:
For some reason I cannot see the picture you linked anymore, but you say there is an indent where the hole should be. That leads me to believe that there is a threaded stud welded on the other side of that piece. I bet that there is a special tool required to rotate and unscrew that part which would reveal the threaded tow bolt hole. Just a guess. Either that or the indent is due to a weld that completely blocks off the threaded hole. One or the other. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts