2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a new Mazda 3, but here in California all the dealerships now are required to have the front license plate before leaving the dealership. I can probably use the towing platypus plates to get out of the dealership, but do you guys have suggestions for a long term solution? I prefer the location of the license plate located below the grill...instead of having it on the grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I'm looking into buying a new Mazda 3, but here in California all the dealerships now are required to have the front license plate before leaving the dealership. I can probably use the towing platypus plates to get out of the dealership, but do you guys have suggestions for a long term solution? I prefer the location of the license plate located below the grill...instead of having it on the grill.
If there is enough demand, I can look into developing a no-drill relocator for the BP, like the ones we have for the BM & BN. It might take a lil time. Can you perhaps temporarily mount it on for now?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
this is why i like living in FL. no front licence plate required.

·
Registered
554 Posts
BE PREPARED...the license plate frame will already be attached to the grill by the time you see the car in the lot. When the car arrives to the dealer they prep it, including attaching the license plate frame. So just let them attach the temp plates to the existing frame on the grill until you figure out your final solution. Do not use the Tow/Tie down hatch for a plate...the likelihood of damage to your bumper of someone hitting is all to common vs. someone just backing into your bumper while parking with the plate attached normally. I just saw a Nissan GT-R yesterday and I could see the extensive damage to the bumper caused by the indentation of the plate attached to the tow hatch.

If and when you remove the Mazda license frame, you will be left with 2 small holes in the black grill that you can leave as is or you can lightly sand down and fill with black epoxy...they are not noticeable either way...your lucky vs. a frame which has to be drilled into a bumper.

I definitely agree the car looks better with the lowered plate conversion, but since I'm required to have a front plate as well in NY, and it's totally enforced statewide, unlike most CA jurisdictions, I put a rubber flexiframe around mine to give my car a bit more protection from obnoxious parallel parkers...which is a big issue in NYC.

I left CA a couple of years ago and I know they had been talking for years about requiring temp plates from the dealers for all the abuses by scofflaws. I wonder if this is now going to be the impetus for more or all CA jurisdictions to aggressively enforce the front plate since they will be required when leaving the dealership? But you do raise an interesting point...It used to be when you bought a car from a dealership in CA, the buyer had to sign a document acknowledging the dealer provided a license plate frame whether it was attached or not...The Porsche and Maserati buyers must not be too happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BE PREPARED...the license plate frame will already be attached to the grill by the time you see the car in the lot. When the car arrives to the dealer they prep it, including attaching the license plate frame.
This is true for most dealerships, but I know a few nearby that don't pre-drill the car. Regardless, thanks for letting me know about the indentation, I'll definitely try to find a better long term solution.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I agree...every car looks so much better with the asymmetrical placement of the license plate...It's like telling your girlfriend after she moves in you're really committed to a long term relationship, but don't hang your pictures on the walls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought A new Mazda 3 and took the front plate off as soon as I got home. That's really the best solution as the front plate, in any location, looks hideous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in CO, they require front license plate as well. I have been driving without one for 20 years with no issues. None of my friends use one either. The cops could care less. I just keep it in my glove box just in case. I know that doesn't help much, but maybe we are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist (or maybe other states actually enforce this dumb law - I don't know). The license plate totally ruins the look of the front grill. I'm so sad when I see one.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just bought A new Mazda 3 and took the front plate off as soon as I got home. That's really the best solution as the front plate, in any location, looks hideous.
Don't park your car in San Francisco. The meter maids are incredibly aggressive to issue tickets. With the new CA law, I'll be curious to hear back in a year if the police in general are more aggressive as well in issuing tickets if they know that the owner of the new car was obviously not only issued but installed plates on the front when the car left the lot.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here in CO, they require front license plate as well. I have been driving without one for 20 years with no issues. None of my friends use one either. The cops could care less. I just keep it in my glove box just in case. I know that doesn't help much, but maybe we are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist (or maybe other states actually enforce this dumb law - I don't know). The license plate totally ruins the look of the front grill. I'm so sad when I see one.
I live in NY now and it is an absolute zero tolerance state with aggressive enforcement by all law enforcement. Even Maserati's with the beautiful trident logo have front have plates. I even had a friend here from CA a few months back who didn't have his front plate, was pulled over for speeding by the state police and was issued an additional $130 tix plus court costs for not having the CA plate attached, as the trooper knew it was required in CA. States can and do enforce the home state laws for out of state drivers such as expired registrations, inspections, etc. and in this case no tags on the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No drill Plate re-locator.

Attachments

·
Banned
112 Posts
I live in NY now and it is an absolute zero tolerance state with aggressive enforcement by all law enforcement. Even Maserati's with the beautiful trident logo have front have plates. I even had a friend here from CA a few months back who didn't have his front plate, was pulled over for speeding by the state police and was issued an additional $130 tix plus court costs for not having the CA plate attached, as the trooper knew it was required in CA. States can and do enforce the home state laws for out of state drivers such as expired registrations, inspections, etc. and in this case no tags on the front.

This is precisely why I moved out of NY. The city and state have one mission:screw the residents and boy do they do a great job at that. Here are just a few of them:

You should seriously think about 'Escaping from New York'.

For those that will say 'don't break the law and you won't get a ticket'...this is not how it works in NY. You will get the ticket regardless if you break the law or not.
The last ticket I got was for 'No Parking' on a street with no signs anywhere indicating that parking was not allowed. I went to court to fight it and the judge said 'just because a sign is missing does not mean you have the right to park there;,,,Guilty. I had to pay. That's when I packed my bags and moved.

04 Vehicles parked illegally south of Houston Street in Manhattan in metered spaces reserved for buses from 7am - 7pm daily. Vehicles with bus plate types parked longer than the 3 hour maximum and/or not displaying a DOT-issued bus permit. $115 --
05 Failure to make a right turn from a bus lane. $115 $115
06 Parking a tractor-trailer on a residential street between 9PM and 5AM. 1st Offense - $265
2nd Offense - $515
07 Vehicles photographed going through a red light at an intersection $50
08 Vehicle idling in a restricted area. $115 $115
09 Blocking an Intersection: Obstructing traffic at an intersection also known as "Blocking the Box". $115
10 Stopping, standing or parking where a sign, street marking, or traffic control device does not allow stopping. $115
11 Hotel Loading/Unloading: Standing or parking where standing is not allowed by sign, street marking or; traffic control device. $115
12 Snow Emergency: Standing or parking where standing is not allowed by sign, street marking or; traffic control device.* $115

13 Taxi Stand: Standing or parking where standing is not allowed by sign, street marking or; traffic control device. $115 $115
14 General No Standing: Standing or parking where standing is not allowed by sign, street marking or; traffic control device.

·
Registered
554 Posts
This is precisely why I moved out of NY. The city and state have one mission:screw the residents and boy do they do a great job at that. Here are just a few of them:

You should seriously think about 'Escaping from New York'.
I feel you...Fortunately, I pay the bucks to park the cars in my building garage. Just this week they towed every car on my street without notice because they wanted to repave. They still didn't repave but only scraped the asphalt. I don't think those people pay the ticket (except for potential damage) but only have to find there car somewhere, but someone screwed up and didn't put up signs...then there is the whole issue of repaving a quiet street that doesn't need repaving...We're all scratching our heads on that one but we know the answer...if they don't spend the money in their budget, they lose it next year and get less...hence the never ending budget deficits.

The one ticket event the city seems to have backed off the last couple of years are snow emergencies...Even though we didn't have much snow this season, last year we did and they did not require people to move their cars and canceled ASP for days at a time.

The one ticket that really bothers me here in NYC that they seem so proud of issuing is "blocking the box"...instead of helping and directing traffic when they know there is an obvious known problem at an intersection...they plant 10 parking control officers at an intersection ready for the light to turn red and then they run out and issue tickets. Cheese!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts