2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen this before? It's about 5mm diameter wide. I'm usually careful about getting my car washed etc.

I hope it's not rust.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
That looks like a typical paint bubble, if you press your finger on it can you feel it deflect inward? Paint bubbles are what happens when the paint in that area is no longer adhering to the base metal. That could be caused by rust underneath, but it could also be a defect in the prep/priming/painting process. Either way, if the car is still under warranty, bring it back to the dealer and make them fix it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anyone seen this before? It's about 5mm diameter wide. I'm usually careful about getting my car washed etc.

I hope it's not rust.
Looks like a fish eye, it's caused by contamination such as oil, water, wax or silicone prior to the painting process. Original factory paint usually doesn't get those kinds of defects, it's very possible that that panel has been repainted.

Reactions: Loud3

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks like a fish eye, it's caused by contamination such as oil, water, wax or silicone prior to the painting process. Original factory paint usually doesn't get those kinds of defects, it's very possible that that panel has been repainted.

I had my hood replaced / repainted because of the huge dent on it. This area was on the roof panel near the door which they should have not touched because all the dmg was on the hood. I did have my lower rocker panel fixed but they should have not painted up in that area.... I will have to check in the morning to see the extent of the repaint.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After checking where they have repainted my car. It does look like they have repainted the whole left panel top and bottom. They told me they were only going to paint the bottom rocker panel when doing a repair. Ugh. It makes me feel like i have a whole unoriginal car now. Feeling frustrated. I prefer OEM paint.

·
Registered
78 Posts
After checking where they have repainted my car. It does look like they have repainted the whole left panel top and bottom. They told me they were only going to paint the bottom rocker panel when doing a repair. Ugh. It makes me feel like i have a whole unoriginal car now. Feeling frustrated. I prefer OEM paint.

You might get less money on trade in because when dealerships check paintwork they will say ohh we have to disclose it to the next customer who wants to buy it eventhough they never do. I would have the bodyshop redo it without any defects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts