2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
girls can too
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so night shade is rather dark. so i was out shopping for something else, i was originally looking for duplicolor, metal cast "smoke" which is their metal cast /anodized line of paint. part number dup-mc206

instead i found rustolium tint. and i bought it and took it home to run it threw some tests....

i tested it on plastic and i tested it on foil. i will be painting the reflective areas inside my headlight lenses similar to what darkspeed3 did to his. only i want the high beam area reflective still. naturaly i needed to use transparent paint, and i needed one that will react well with reflective surfaces, hence why i tested it on foil...

i did a few tests on water bottles, fast food container lids, and foil...

in each picture, the night shade paint is the one that looks more blue... the rustolium is the one that looks more neutral gray.
nightshadeV

rustolium V

night shade on left, rustolium on right. (rustolium is far less transparent, and very cloudy)

night shade on left, rustolium on right. night shade lets far more reflective properties shine threw
notice you can see the clouds above and the blue from the sky... but you cant on the rustolium side.

rustolium doesnt allow as much to pass threw on reflective surfaces...

my findings. though night shade has a less even spray, it is far more superior in the quality of paint. it is far more transparent. rustolium sprays on way more even with its better nozzle but the paint is so cloudy it detracts from clear surfaces.

i never liked rustolium. i have used their paint for plastic on my interor on my rx7. it came out very blotchy and sticky and never dried(after 3 months)

i had to strip off the paint and use duplicolor vinyl paint.... i knew that this rustolium tint might be lacking in quality and i guess i just proved my theory.... fish oil = not the best paint lol...

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Cool ring ;) and interesting post. Thanks

·
girls can too
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i highly do not recommended spray on products for tail lights and headlights. it is much more practical to buy film and have it properly installed via heat gun and stretching then to risk using either of these products on such large surfaces. you will not get consistency unless your a pro with alot of experience

it would be much easier to apply the tint , because if you screw up its not permanent.... or expensive to fix

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
So...you wanted to use a translucent paint instead of masking off the areas that weren't to be painted and using an opaque paint? That would be interesting. I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Masking and using nightshades you can get some really nice results. These were on my last ride. It allows you to control what area lights up while still retaining some of the reflective properties in the tail light. And since I left some of the area on all the reflectors non-tinted I was still able to pass NC state safety inspections.

·
girls can too
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So...you wanted to use a translucent paint instead of masking off the areas that weren't to be painted and using an opaque paint? That would be interesting. I've never heard of anyone doing that before.
idk how you got that .... im masking off certian areas that i want to retain the reflection of the high beam/blinker, and painting it with night shade only very light to smoke it. then every where else i'm painting black.
this way i tone down the chrome, still have my high beam reflective pattern and still have an over all darker look.

i by no means want to skip the masking proses.
Masking and using nightshades you can get some really nice results. These were on my last ride. It allows you to control what area lights up while still retaining some of the reflective properties in the tail light. And since I left some of the area on all the reflectors non-tinted I was still able to pass NC state safety inspections.
thats pretty bad a$$!!! good job on the masking.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
idk how you got that .... im masking off certian areas that i want to retain the reflection of the high beam/blinker, and painting it with night shade only very light to smoke it. then every where else i'm painting black.
this way i tone down the chrome, still have my high beam reflective pattern and still have an over all darker look.

i by no means want to skip the masking proses.
Oh okay. My mistake. Still, that's something I've never seen before. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

·
girls can too
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Oh, I know. I was referring to the nightshade bit. I troll the forums pretty heavily, so new things catch my attention ;)

·
ME - UTSA
56 Posts
Both work good and i prefer the spray tint vs film. The tint can be removed just as easily with gas or aerosol spray sunscreen( I used the latter because we had a ton left over from the previous summer)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts