2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im trying to get a nice flush look on my 3sedan without it rubbing and I'm going to use Speed3 rims from the first gen. Does anyone know what the perfect tire combo would be? I have my car lowered on 2010 Teins Springs. Would it be 225/40 or 235/45. I don't know much about tires.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you're trying to flush with oem speed rims, tire size isn't going to make a big difference, you would need some spacers to push the wheels out.

·
Zoomin' Senior Member
356 Posts
I'm using 15mm spacers probably could have used 20mm. I'm on 205 50 17's.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. I never used spacers before where do I buy them and how do I install them?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Before you go out and buy 15mm spacers you need to see if they'll work with your gendone speed wheels. The recesses at the back of your wheel hub need to be at least 12mm deep or the wheel studs will hit the wheel and not let the wheel seat properly on the hub. If that happens you'd have to buy shorter studs and then the whole deal becomes a pita and your better off buying wheels that give you flush to begin with. The reason I'm telling you this is that gen2 MZ3 wheels are 12mm deep and gen2 MS3 wheels are not. So you can't just assume spacers will work with gendone speed wheels. Eibach, Ichiba make spacers among others. Size you need is 5x114.3 bolt pattern 67.1 bore. Best bet is search Ebay.

Reactions: Poliswag

·
2010 MZ3
144 Posts
Before you go out and buy 15mm spacers you need to see if they'll work with your gendone speed wheels. The recesses at the back of your wheel hub need to be at least 12mm deep or the wheel studs will hit. If they hit then you'd need to move up to 20mm spacers and you might go past flush.
how about for the second gen speed3 wheels? do they have that recess your referring to? aslo thinking of putting spacers on them.. thanks

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Not enough of a recees for 15mm, you'd have to go 20mm if you don't want to mess with your studs.

·
2010 MZ3
144 Posts
So a 15mm spacer would make the original stud stick out a bit, thus hitting the back of the wheel? is that whats going to happen?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Thank you guys. I never used spacers before where do I buy them and how do I install them?
The cheapest I could find was on Amazon. I have 15mm Eibachs. As for install

1) Remove wheels
2) bolt on space and torque
3) put the wheel back on and torque

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
So a 15mm spacer would make the original stud stick out a bit, thus hitting the back of the wheel? is that whats going to happen?
Yup

·
zoom~
848 Posts
whats the general improvement/compromise with spacers installed?

do I have to mod anything to get the 15mm/nuts in nicely?

appreciated.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Nope just like Wing said thats all you do nothing else! Just pushes the rim out hence flush look!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Two things to consider when using spacers.

1. You will accelerate the wear on the wheel hub bearings. Exactly how much and how long they will last IDK.

2. For every 10mm that you space you will decrease your spring rates by 5%.

·
Registered
140 Posts
so if i use 20mm spacers, it will decrease spring rate by 10%? how will this affect the car?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
If your running lowering springs with a higher than stock spring rate then spacers would bring you back closer to the stock rate for which the shocks were designed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So a 15 MM spacer would be perfect for the first gen speed 3 wheels? I measured out the space from the tire to the fender and it was exactly 1 inch.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Did you check the wheel to make sure the back side has pockets for the extra stud ends to stick into? A 15mm spacer will leave you with about 10mm of the old studs sticking past the mounting surface.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts