2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here is what I did for my Nexus 7 project.

In this guide I will go over the steps I took to complete this project and provide the sources that I used.

Video of start up and shutdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLadQuNmDEc

What you will need:

2013 Nexus 7 ($150-250) Amazon.com : Nexus 7 from Google (7-Inch, 32 GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) Tablet : Tablet Computers : Computers & Accessories

2 Proclips ($30 each) Mazda 3 2014-2015 ProClip Center Mount*-*ProClip USA

5 3M VHB Stickers for gopro mount ($7) Amazon.com : 3M Sticker Set for Gopro Helmet Mount (3pcs for Flat, 3pcs for arc mount) - Red : Digital Camera Accessory Kits : Camera & Photo

A back cover for Nexus 7 ($5) Amazon.com: Fosmon DURA Frost SLIM-Fit Case Flexible TPU Cover for Google Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Generation 2013 Tablet (Black): Computers & Accessories

Fuse Tap ($5) Amazon.com : FAST Shipping* ADD CIRCUIT BLADE STYLE ATM APS ATT LOW PROFILE MINI FUSE HOLDER FUSE TAP + FUSE SET 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20 AMPS : Car Electronics

15A Fuse ($1)

DC Converter 12V to 5V 3A Car USB Charger ($13) Amazon.com: DROK DC Converter 12V to 5V 3A Car USB Charger Power Supply for iPhone iPad Phone In Vehicle DVR Recorder: Electronics

6 Zip Ties

Tools:
Computer
USB Micro Cord (included with Nexus 7)
Proclip Dash Seperater (included with proclip)
Socket Wrench
12mm Socket
Hand Crimp Tool/Wire Stripper

Software:
WugFresh Nexus Toolkit (Direct Download) http://goo.gl/GfqYxO
Boot Animation Factory [10.12.2013][TOOL]Boot Animation Factory-Create,Preview and Manage Boot Animations - xda-developers
Video to Image Convertor FREE Video & DVD Software: Download free Video to JPG Converter - make snapshots from video files
Image Resizer https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Apps:
Tasker ($2.99)
RootBrowser (optional)
Giant Icons ($.99)

Please keep in mind I am doing this off of memory. Please use common sense (google) and be careful when following these steps.

1. Nexus Root - How to Root Your Nexus 7 Tablet Running Android 4.4 KitKat (Windows Guide) « Nexus 7

2. Boot Animation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGhKgSkcuY4

a. When rotating images rotate counter clockwise because the nexus will be upside down in the car.

3. Turn on when car does:

a. Boot into bootloader (hold down power and down volume)

b. Plug into computer

c. Open Wugfresh tool kit

d. Go to advanced tools

e. Select fastboot

f. Select command prompt

g. Type in fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0

h. Device should reboot and will now automatically start up if plugged in

4. Create larger icons

a. Download giant icons app

b. Go to widgets and select giant icon

c. Select which app to use

d. Change size and position of app

5. Power on and off with Tasker

a. Download Tasker

b. Create a profile for powering on (condition power any)

c. Create tasks for powering on
i. Task 1 Say “hello”
ii. Task 2 Plugins / Secure settings / Disable Airplane mode
iii. Task 3 Set display to 255(max)
iv. Task 4 Set display timeout to 23hrs 59mins 59sec

d. Create a profile for powering down (condition power any – invert)
i. Task 1 Plugins / Secure settings / Enable Airplane mode
ii. Task 2 Set display timeout to 30sec
iii. Task 3 Wait 20 mins
iv. Task 4 Stop if Airplane mode is not active
v. Task 5 Reboot – Shutdown

e. Optional – Create a nighttime setting (condition time of day)
i. Task 1 Wait 1 min
ii. Task 2 Display enable auto brightness

6. Mount Tablet

a. Follow proclip install instructions: http://proclipusa.net/instruction.php?sku=854966

b. Positions mounts closer to center of vents

c. Attach two 3M stickers to each mount

d. Cut out 80% of the top of the Nexus cover with the charger hole facing left. This will make it easier to remove nexus if needed.

e. Put cover on Nexus.

f. After remove film on stickers place the tablet on making sure to center it under the stereo/infotainment unit

g. Let sit for about 24 hours (you can still drive, just take it easy)

7. Install USB charger

a. Open fuse panel by your left foot on driver’s side.

b. Remove bottom fuse (15A)

c. Remove the black bolt under fuse box with 12mm socket wrench
i. This will be a tight fit, but it comes off pretty easy. If you are having trouble you might be turning it the wrong way…

d. Take 15A fuse you removed and the extra 15a fuse you purchased and insert them into the fuse tap.

e. Using a wire stripper strip the thick black coating off of about 8 inches of the usb charger exposing the positive (red) and negative (black) wires.

f. Strip the positive wire about an inch exposing the copper.

g. Stip the negative wire about three inches exposing the copper.

h. Insert the positive wire in the blue crimp on the fuse tap and crimp down.

i. Take the negative wire and wrap it around the base of the black bolt you removed.

j. Put the black bolt back in under the fuse box making sure to keep the wire attached.

k. Insert the fuse tap into the bottom fuse port where you removed the 15A fuse.

l. Run the USB charger up the pillar above the fuse box. There is room for the small box to fit through.

m. Cut one of the 3M stickers in half lengthwise (hotdog) and attach it to the USB charger.

n. Remove the film from the other side of the 3M tape and mount it under the dash.

o. Plug in USB micro cord included with your Nexus and wrap once around steering wheel column, then bring it to the mounted tablet.

p. Use zip ties to secure any loose hanging cables.

8. Profit!

a. Connect your Nexus either via 3.5 cable(preferred for video) or Bluetooth.

b. If you have a phone that already connects via Bluetooth be sure to disable audio connectivity on the phone, otherwise you will have to constantly go in and set the phone as phone only in the Mazda.

If you have any questions or suggestions please ask below so everyone can learn from it.

Special thanks to @g-hood for help with the charger and some pics.
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...tronics/58969-adding-power-receptacles-2.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
now I am thinking of changing my order and skip the whole MZD connect system and get the normal radio one, and then do this mod :tongue: looks pretty awesome

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great job it looks really well done. But I have two suggestions for improvement

1) mount a wireless QI charger to the mounting so that you can easily remove and place the tablet incase you want to keep it out of sight or out of the sun. you can get basic the circuitry for QI wirless charges which are the size of a credit card and powered by USB for 15$ shipped from japan.

2) use a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and used the app Torque (5.99 I think?) So that you can setup the display with your RPM, Gas usage, Speed GPS and Car, Lateral G readings etc..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great job it looks really well done. But I have two suggestions for improvement

1) mount a wireless QI charger to the mounting so that you can easily remove and place the tablet incase you want to keep it out of sight or out of the sun. you can get basic the circuitry for QI wireless charges which are the size of a credit card and powered by USB for 15$ shipped from japan.

2) use a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and used the app Torque (5.99 I think?) So that you can setup the display with your RPM, Gas usage, Speed GPS and Car, Lateral G readings etc..
Thanks for the suggestions. Torque is definitely in the cards for this setup. The tablet is already really easy to remove. All you have to do is unplug it and pull it our of the rubber case it is in. If the QI charger could be wired through the vents behind it, it would look really clean because there would be not wires showing, but I am already running a 3.5 jack since the Bluetooth audio likes to click and pop at odd intervals and the audio has about a second delay making all videos look like bad dub jobs, so I don't mind one extra wire.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Torque is definitely in the cards for this setup. The tablet is already really easy to remove. All you have to do is unplug it and pull it our of the rubber case it is in. If the QI charger could be wired through the vents behind it, it would look really clean because there would be not wires showing, but I am already running a 3.5 jack since the Bluetooth audio likes to click and pop at odd intervals and the audio has about a second delay making all videos look like bad dub jobs, so I don't mind one extra wire.
Good to hear Im not the only one with a lagging bluetooth audio. I came from a old sony explode head unit that had far superior bluetooth audio capabilities despite it being older and aftermarket.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Great Job on the install and write up.

Good to hear Im not the only one with a lagging bluetooth audio. I came from a old sony explode head unit that had far superior bluetooth audio capabilities despite it being older and aftermarket.
Did it have a separate BT receiver? Mine does and it gets better signal then my wifes CX-5.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mine has a separate unit that I had to buy. It is more like an accessory for my head unit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like my Mazda Connect system... I seem to be one of the few where it works for me :)

But this is really intriguing.

The only thing I see can be improved is to look for right angle cables (usb and 3.5mm) so they don't stick out.

So, did you end up going bluetooth? or auxilliary?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like my Mazda Connect system... I seem to be one of the few where it works for me :)

But this is really intriguing.

The only thing I see can be improved is to look for right angle cables (usb and 3.5mm) so they don't stick out.

So, did you end up going bluetooth? or auxilliary?
I use AUX. Mainly because of the video audio sync issues and the fact that I would have to switch the audio over to bluetooth everytime on the mazda. The tablet does not have bluetooth up quick enough for the mazda to catch it since I am powering it on when I start the car. It always switches to FM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very cool. Except, as a not-yet-owner, I'm disheartened that the infotainment system is bad enough that you felt this to be necessary. Up until now I'd only heard good things -- with the understanding, or course, that that's compared to other car systems, which are notoriously crappy.

I wonder about the HVAC vents being blocked. I'd be concerned about losing some efficientcy there, and potentially overheating the tablet when the heat is blasting. I'm guessing you haven't had the car long enough to compare with/without in winter and summer conditions?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very cool. Except, as a not-yet-owner, I'm disheartened that the infotainment system is bad enough that you felt this to be necessary. Up until now I'd only heard good things -- with the understanding, or course, that that's compared to other car systems, which are notoriously crappy.

I wonder about the HVAC vents being blocked. I'd be concerned about losing some efficientcy there, and potentially overheating the tablet when the heat is blasting. I'm guessing you haven't had the car long enough to compare with/without in winter and summer conditions?
The vents being blocked hasn't been an issue so far. They are not really blocked either, since there is about 2 inches of space between the vents and the tablet. I just point them up and out so the air is shot over it. Still have the vents on the driver and passenger side open and running. No issues so far. It is 86 out today and I am not having any issues with cooling the car. Even when it was in the 90s yesterday it was fine. As for heat, I doubt the heat from the vents will be any hotter than the heat of the car in the sun.

Realistically, this mod is not necessary. The infotainment unit is fine on its own, but I am the kind of person who likes to improve the things I use everyday. I don't just buy a computer, I build one to my specifications. Same goes for the car. I didn't really need to change the wheels, add rallygaurds and install this tablet. I just wanted to. :smiley:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Realistically, this mod is not necessary. The infotainment unit is fine on its own, but I am the kind of person who likes to improve the things I use everyday. I don't just buy a computer, I build one to my specifications. Same goes for the car. I didn't really need to change the wheels, add rallygaurds and install this tablet. I just wanted to. :smiley:
I hear ya there. Me too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts