2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Arcadio A. Sincero Jr.
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hard wire my G1W dashcam and iOttie Qi-enabled phone cradle into my car. My car is a brand spanking new 2015 Mazda 3s GT hatch. While I'd say my handyman skills are at an "intermediate" level, I've never done car electronics before. Well, that's not entirely true. I did install an aftermarket radio into my last car. But that was pretty straightforward. I have been doing my research though, and I think I know what to get and how to install it. I figured I'd run it by you guys first though to get some verification and perhaps some feedback.

Since the dashcam and the phone cradle both take 5VDC via a USB connection, the first thing I probably need to get is something that takes 12VDC and converts it to 5VDC. Would this thing fit the bill:

You can even get it with two female USB output plugs, so one plug for the dashcam and the other plug for the phone cradle. Seems perfect.

Next, I probably want to hook up the aforementioned transformer to the ACC fuse of the car so it turns on when I turn the engine on. Apparently, the thing I want to use to do this is a fuse tap. I didn't even know what that was until I started Googling and apparently it's the way to go since you won't have to cut into the factory wiring or anything. Would this kit be appropriate:

It comes with the fuse tap and any fuses I might need.

I think that's all I need, right?

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since I wasn't planning on using the CD player at all, I gutted the tray, installed a couple of 12v sockets and a couple of USB sockets by tapping into the CD drive power harness. I've got one always-on micro USB cable running through the dash up to my phone mount so that it will continue to charge even when parked, and the rest of the sockets are keyed to the ignition. If it's worth the 90-minute drive to Newark, DE, I'd be happy to help you do this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Since I wasn't planning on using the CD player at all, I gutted the tray, installed a couple of 12v sockets and a couple of USB sockets by tapping into the CD drive power harness. I've got one always-on micro USB cable running through the dash up to my phone mount so that it will continue to charge even when parked, and the rest of the sockets are keyed to the ignition. If it's worth the 90-minute drive to Newark, DE, I'd be happy to help you do this.
What does it look like with it all gutted? I was thinking of doing the same thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry I don't have a pic of the wiring harness with T-splices handy. You'll need to remove the piano black strip of trim, HVAC vents, and CMU to run the wire through the dash.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts