2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...
I never really gave Mazda much thought until I started noticing this older Mazda3 h/b parked in the neighborhood... it grew on me.
So I just traded in my sad old Mini Cooper for a super-clean, low mileage 2014 Mazda3 h/b.
Other than an embarrassing experience in my driveway last night, (I'm guessing the car has an alarm package the (Acura) dealership neglected to mention,) so far - so good.
I found this forum while searching for info re getting a second smart key and I'm wondering if there's any "must know" info for a new owner.
Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the Mazda family.

I own a MINI Cooper as well so I understand the level of "must know info" that is possible.

The reality is that there are few, if any issues that a new owner needs to be aware of. Mazdas are extremely reliable, fun to drive and economical to own. Follow the recommended maintenance and it should serve you well for years.

The third generation 2014-2018 is my favorite generation. In my opinion, they have the best handling.

One good-to-know is that if your Mazda does not have navigation but has the 5 or 6 inch display on the dash, you can add navigation with the purchase of an SD Card from Amazon for less than $100.00.

Good luck and enjoy your new Mazda.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much for your reply. Reliability was a big factor in making this selection.
Unfortunately, now I have to decide whether or not to go with a Carchex service warranty. I was leaning towards a top line package for 100k or 7yrs @ $2400.00.
I don't suppose you have a crystal ball handy?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Take your new Mazda to a local trusted mechanic and ask him/her to go over it top to bottom and tell you what it needs now and what it may need in the reasonable future. I bet the answer is: either tires and possibly brakes or more likely very little. Get all the fluids changed and anything that a car with its mileage should need that you have no proof being done. If they say it needs a lot, then consider a warranty.

I took my 2015 Mazda3 with 100,000 miles to my trusted mechanic and asked him to tell me everything it could possibly need in the near future before I turned it over to my son. He changed the oil and told me the car needed nothing beyond the new tires I anticipated.

I took my MINI with 13,000 miles to the same mechanic when I bought it and the bill came to $1,500.

When my son drives away from our house for his 90 mile home, I do not worry about the reliability of his Mazda. When I drive my MINI, I worry about potential major repairs lurking.

You bought a Mazda and not a MINI. I don't think you will need a warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fortunately my trusted MINI mechanic handles imports as well so I'll be making that appointment tomorrow.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks much for your reply. Reliability was a big factor in making this selection.
Unfortunately, now I have to decide whether or not to go with a Carchex service warranty. I was leaning towards a top line package for 100k or 7yrs @ $2400.00.
I don't suppose you have a crystal ball handy?
Welcome aboard! Mazdas are as reliable as an anvil. My 2015 3s GT is my 7th Mazda and all 6 that came before were completely reliable. Coming from a MINI, you are most likely not uses to this feature.

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome aboard! Mazdas are as reliable as an anvil. My 2015 3s GT is my 7th Mazda and all 6 that came before were completely reliable. Coming from a MINI, you are most likely not uses to this feature.

Enjoy your new ride.
Thanks Ken. I can honestly say this is one of the few purchases I've made were buyer's remorse hasn't reared its ugly head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts