2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my speed did very little mods like a hybrid bypass valve and temp broke man's intake. Runs great but I think I need plugs and not sure of what brand of plugs to get. As far as motor goes I only have the bypass and intake. Anyone have any input on it greatly appreciated.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Welcome. First off I wouldn't recommend no cheap home made intake. These engines are high strung and I would recommend only running good products.
Second, it sounds like you don't know much about these cars yet. No big deal but it's time to learn. The speeds suffer from a weak high pressure fuel pump. Once you start modding get the fuel pump can't supply what the ecu is calling for. And will blow the engine if this happens. First 2 mods on a speed is to upgrade the fuel pump and get an accessport to tune it.

Why do you think you need plugs?

Also what year speed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's 12 the intake itself I wont be getting til income tax because I wanna get the acessport. I'm guessing it needs plugs because I feel it lagging in high boost and sputters. I thought the lag was from the oil being dirty but did the oil change n she doesn't feel as torquey as before. And as far as the fuel pump goes I'm not trying to go crazy in mods cause I have a kid with one on the way. I just want a good pull n b able to knock out the little rice burners who think they got something n embarrass them. Im jus new to the turbo world I'm use to all motor just trying to get the info from the professionals.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Well you can get an accessport and gamble with the engine. But if the fuel pump fails you won't be beating anyone.
I know it's expensive but 350 dollar pump or a 6 thousand dollar engine.

How many miles? The plugs should be fine. Are you running premium fuel in it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
17k on it now I only run 93 from one place n now u got me wondering bout the pump could it be the pump not meeting the fuel supply in high boost? What brand did u go with or recommend. I no a lot of ppl using Cobb parts I'm working on goin with a front mount. What's Ur take on it. I no I must sound like a dumb f*&k but I'm starting to realize that its not fun to mod a speed but the outcome is ridiculous with the numbers these things dish out with simple mods . I just for me think the car is missing something just dnt no what. It has suspension exhaust just feel I'm missing something.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Its possible it could be the pump. Tell me again what mods you have on the car currently?

Before you do a front mount or really anything else the fuel pump needs to be done. I know I sound like a broken record but it's very important for the speeds. If you plan on modding the car (and it sounds like you do) there is no way around it. It has to be upgraded.
Check out rally sport direct they usually have the fuel pump I'm stock.

Brands of parts Cobb is top notch. They make great products but hey are the most expensive. Check out James Barone Racing. I had their intake and loved it. The quality of all their parts is great and they have about the best prices. Also corksport is decent. But some people don't like the. And some people love corksport. Some people have had product failures. But corksport always makes things right for customer. The customer service is excellent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok well as far as suspension goes I have bc coilovers 30 way adjustable I have a ultimate racing exhaust rear sway bar a turbo cd hybrid bypass valve and a small intake 10k hids 20% tint all around and tenzo momo wheels 18x8

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Axle back exhaust or cat back?
With an intake and exhaust it's possible to be losing fuel pressure. Do keep in mind these cars lose power drastically after 6k rpm's on the stock tune.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its catback and I wish u were the only person to say that I was told a few times to get it tuned but its to expensive I was just bout ready to put the stock air box back on. with the stock box on it wasn't as pepy but it never sputtered.I also just think I'm over thinking the very little issue due to a close relative who had a 1st gen in which he had a friend who had the second gen and had nothing but problems with as far as the clutch going out then the tranny which was hard to believe since he baby the car and never ever broke the speed limit

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
It's the intake causing it then probably a MAF problem. Like I said save up a little and get a good intake. JBR, corksport or Cobb.
The speeds are pretty reliable in stock form. Also when modded correctly.
Personally I was stage one tuned. It's a waste in my opinion. If your going to tune and mod the car go to stage 2. Stage one wasn't any faster. I took videos of multiple 0-60 runs, 70-100 runs and 40-70 runs with no difference in times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I thought I was trying to go the cheap way out thinking it was the plugs. Now I was wondering how much ifferent is the maps on a 1st gen from a 2nd cause I got someone with the accesport for a 1st gen who was gonna do until I stopped em . And also I'm finishing up a project in the rear hatch and I looked up on the forum for a radio swap but doesn't really look like anyone has done it before or maybe I wasn't looking in the right place cause ima bout to put 3k watts in the hatch but cntfigure out the stock amp wiring to hot wire the door speakers

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
That's what I thought I was trying to go the cheap way out thinking it was the plugs. Now I was wondering how much ifferent is the maps on a 1st gen from a 2nd cause I got someone with the accesport for a 1st gen who was gonna do until I stopped em . And also I'm finishing up a project in the rear hatch and I looked up on the forum for a radio swap but doesn't really look like anyone has done it before or maybe I wasn't looking in the right place cause ima bout to put 3k watts in the hatch but cntfigure out the stock amp wiring to hot wire the door speakers
I can't help with stereo or wiring. I don't know anything in that department.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts