2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm in Portland, Oregon and a few weeks ago I got a 2015 Mazda 3 i Touring. I absolutely love it. I am pretty sure I want to do a little tinkering and after googling around a bit, I've seen that with the skyactiv I won't be able to do much performance stuff, but I'm cool with that. However I did see that I can do some bolt on stuff, which would be super fun to work on. Where do you guys get your bolt on parts from?? Is Corksport a good one? I've also read that Orange Virus is the go to for tuning. Is that correct, or am I decently lost? (could be entirely true too).

I'd also be super interested in new rims. It has 16's stock. From what I've read, if I change my wheel diameter then my speedo gets off and I lose a little bit of performance, I think? But I also read that Mazda's are tuned for 17's? or Maybe some are, and not all. I am wondering If I could increase my wheel diameter but go with a lower profile tire to maintain the total wheel diameter, or at least minimize the overall diameter change.

I hope some of you can give me some guidance! I'm super excited to be here.

Cheers.

Rex

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm in Portland, Oregon and a few weeks ago I got a 2015 Mazda 3 i Touring. I absolutely love it. I am pretty sure I want to do a little tinkering and after googling around a bit, I've seen that with the skyactiv I won't be able to do much performance stuff, but I'm cool with that. However I did see that I can do some bolt on stuff, which would be super fun to work on. Where do you guys get your bolt on parts from?? Is Corksport a good one? I've also read that Orange Virus is the go to for tuning. Is that correct, or am I decently lost? (could be entirely true too).
Yeah there are some decent bolt-ons available. There are a bunch of aftermarket parts vendors. The best thing to do is check the various subforums to see what has been done and what parts have been used.
OVTuning seems to be the go-to for Mazda 3s at the moment. Right now they are a bit busy though and may be hard to reach as the business is in the process of moving from California to Hong Kong.

I'd also be super interested in new rims. It has 16's stock. From what I've read, if I change my wheel diameter then my speedo gets off and I lose a little bit of performance, I think? But I also read that Mazda's are tuned for 17's? or Maybe some are, and not all. I am wondering If I could increase my wheel diameter but go with a lower profile tire to maintain the total wheel diameter, or at least minimize the overall diameter change.
Yes, if you change the overall diameter the speedometer might be inaccurate. Larger diameter wheels will also change the overall final drive ratio (in effect changing the gearing) and acceleration will be a bit slower.
You can use a different size rim with an appropriately sized tire to maintain the correct wheel diameter, that is how its usually done. If your car has 16" rims with 60 series tires, using 40 series tires with 18" rims or 50 series tires with 17" rims can keep the diameters pretty close.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Do a search in the sub forums for the mods you are thinking of doing. Just a note on wheels. You can run an 18' wheel with a 215 or 225x45 and your speedo will be OK. The stock Mazda 18' wheel is 7.5' wide and come stock with a 215x45 but you can run a 225x45 on the stock wheel which is what I am running.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I will do some searching around here tomorrow, I just have to decide what I want to do to it first, haha..

I was looking at the body/aero post, have you guys heard of lenzdesign? From the body/aero post most of kits aren't available in the US.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey everyone,

Welcome. I saw a dude on youtube who had been running the corksport airbox/pod filter but found the engine would run a bit hot in warmer weather and was actually changing back to stock. Factory airboxes more often than not will work better than aftermarket pods, though you can still add a good quality (do the research) high flow airfilter if you desire.

There has already been some good recommendations on sizing, but if you want to see how the wheel/tyre sizing works for yourself, check out the tyre size calculator on this site. https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
If you go to an aftermarket rim then I reckon you don't want an offset below ET40, with ET45 being a comfy fit with better clearance. Stock is ET50. See for yourself with the calculator.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
side note, are posts not able to be edited?
Yes you can edit a post but it is time sensitive. There will be an edit button on the bottom to the left of the Quote button. Hit that button and you can edit. It will ask for a reason but you don't have to fill in a reason.

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
side note, are posts not able to be edited?
Hotlink, picture and edit functions are disabled for new accounts for security reasons to keep spammers out. Your account isn't fully activated yet. When your post count increases those functions will be enabled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts