2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've posted here previously on advice regarding whether or not I should buy a new 3 and I finally pulled the trigger. I went with a Black 2018 MZ3 GT 6-speed Manual.

Just sold my 2004 350z and ordered about 2k in mods, so I'll update soon!

Mods done:
K&N Filter (I live in Commifornia)
Mazda 3 OEM all weather mats/cargo tray

Purchased mods are as follows:
Koni FSD
Eibach sports
Corksport Short shift
Corksport Axle back
Corksport RSB
Corksport Strut bar
Mazda Alloy Foot rest and pedals

Future mods:
Tint
Aero (Thinking of the OEM Mazda kit, but looking for a more pronounced wing. Suggestions?)
Wheels/tires

Thanks for reading!

UPDATE***

UPDATE 2 *** Got a bunch of my stuff installed. I'll take some more photos tomorrow. I was a bit busy today.

No more huge wheel gap!

I need wider wheels :(

New axleback sounds fantastic. I almost went with a different brand, but I'm glad I stuck by Corksport. I'll be uploading a before and after coldstart on youtube in a next few days hopefully. I'll update when I get it up.

I also had the Corksport rear sway, Strut bar, and Short shift plate (totally worth it btw) Shifts are much shorter and more precise! All work was done by Motorsport Techniques in Hayward,CA. They did a great job and I recommend them if you're in my area. I used to do my own installs on previous cars but with two little ones now, I just don't have the time.

More to come! Thanks for looking :D

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
@JonHayward

Very nice. Welcome aboard. I've got a feeling you'll love it. Might also recommend a 93 octane tune from OVT. Well worth the $500 if you have common access to 93.

Happy modding

Reactions: JonHayward

·
Registered
988 Posts
Might also recommend a 93 octane tune from OVT. Well worth the $500 if you have common access to 93.
+1

Tuning you car will improve the driving experience a lot! Your car will have better drivability and response. Once you tune it you will never go back to stock! :grin2:

Welome to the forum and enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@JonHayward

Very nice. Welcome aboard. I've got a feeling you'll love it. Might also recommend a 93 octane tune from OVT. Well worth the $500 if you have common access to 93.

Happy modding
Thanks man. I am interested in doing the OVT as I had an Osiris tune on my 350z and it was amazing, but it will void my warranty right? I wasn't worried about it with my Z because it was an 04 and I owned it outright.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
@JonHayward

Happy modding
Thanks man. I am interested in doing the OVT as I had an Osiris tune on my 350z and it was amazing, but it will void my warranty right? I wasn't worried about it with my Z because it was an 04 and I owned it outright.
Eh, you're right, it will. Though it'll only void the warranty in the aspect the motor blows up. If you have like a bad actuator, or need something else non-engine related, that is still under warranty.

Regardless, that's part of buying a new car - peace of mind. So I guess for now just enjoy the stock time which is plenty fun enough, but when you're ready, know that OVT will open up a whole new experience.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've posted here previously on advice regarding whether or not I should buy a new 3 and I finally pulled the trigger. I went with a Black 2018 MZ3 GT 6-speed Manual.

Just sold my 2004 350z and ordered about 2k in mods, so I'll update soon!

Mods done:
K&N Filter (I live in Commifornia)
Mazda 3 OEM all weather mats/cargo tray

Purchased mods are as follows:
Koni FSD
Eibach sports
Corksport Short shift
Corksport Axle back
Corksport RSB
Corksport Strut bar
Mazda Alloy Foot rest and pedals

Future mods:
Tint
Aero (Thinking of the OEM Mazda kit, but looking for a more pronounced wing. Suggestions?)
Wheels/tires

Thanks for reading!
Nice car, are these wheels dark silver or just silver?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice car, are these wheels dark silver or just silver?
They're the dark silver that come with the grand touring. Going to be replaced with some lightweight RPF1s soon me hopes :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eh, you're right, it will. Though it'll only void the warranty in the aspect the motor blows up. If you have like a bad actuator, or need something else non-engine related, that is still under warranty.

Regardless, that's part of buying a new car - peace of mind. So I guess for now just enjoy the stock time which is plenty fun enough, but when you're ready, know that OVT will open up a whole new experience.
Thanks for the tips. I notice you're on the same suspension I purchased. How do you like it? The old me would just went low and stiff, but I have a couple of toddlers who ride with me these days and decided to go with a more modest set up.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I notice you're on the same suspension I purchased. How do you like it? The old me would just went low and stiff, but I have a couple of toddlers who ride with me these days and decided to go with a more modest set up.
That's exactly why I purchased it. Once kids get in the picture... I didn't want my daughter getting jarred around back there. I was amazingly pleased and surprised with it. Of course it's going to be slightly stiffer in the rear, but quite honestly, it's as close to stock as I could have possibly wanted. I don't notice much difference except for really shitty roads, but there's only one that I have to go on about once a week; otherwise, my drive is always smooth and nice.

Like I've told others, I'm not a terribly spirited driver these days. I still have my fun, but I'm not taking corners at 60mph anymore, so I can't speak much to the performance aspect of it, though I feel it's definitely an improvement over stock. But to me, I get the ride height I wanted and the ride quality I needed -- perfect pairing suspension in my opinion.

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Happy to see another 2017+ Hatchback on the forums!

Definitely wait until your warranty is up to tune your car. I'm at 24k of my 36k mile warranty and the want is strong but it'll be less complicated if I just wait lol. May have to go in for warranty work soon anyways since my transmission has been shifting harder than usual lately :/

This is my recommendation for a more aggressive spoiler. I have it and love it.

Happy modding!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chazzy, Yeah I had Tokiko Luminas and H&R Race on my Integra before and it was murder for unsuspecting passengers lol. I enjoyed it, but I don't think my family would. I plan on getting the Mazda lip and side skirts too, so I don't want to lose my lip on a driveway somewhere. As for taking corners at 60, I've successfully done that on the stock suspension a few times so I think I'll be ok haha.

ZS, Thanks for the suggestion man. That is a pretty aggressive wing. I wonder what it would cost me to have it paint matched.

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
ZS, Thanks for the suggestion man. That is a pretty aggressive wing. I wonder what it would cost me to have it paint matched.
I was quoted around $200 to have mine paint matched, but I'll probably end up buying a new spoiler to have it done as soon as it gets shipped and have this one lying around as a bit of a vanity type thing. Might even throw it on every once in awhile for fun.

I also got quoted $250 to have it wrapped along with the chrome U in my grille, so that's another option to keep in mind. I'd probably have it wrapped to match the paint (or maybe a glossy carbon fiber), and have my chrome U a flat black. Multiple options really haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was quoted around $200 to have mine paint matched, but I'll probably end up buying a new spoiler to have it done as soon as it gets shipped and have this one lying around as a bit of a vanity type thing. Might even throw it on every once in awhile for fun.

I also got quoted $250 to have it wrapped along with the chrome U in my grille, so that's another option to keep in mind. I'd probably have it wrapped to match the paint (or maybe a glossy carbon fiber), and have my chrome U a flat black. Multiple options really haha.
Ah good info. I too want to have the chrome deleted in the front and the side. I'd pay $200 just for that no problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's exactly why I purchased it. Once kids get in the picture... I didn't want my daughter getting jarred around back there. I was amazingly pleased and surprised with it. Of course it's going to be slightly stiffer in the rear, but quite honestly, it's as close to stock as I could have possibly wanted. I don't notice much difference except for really shitty roads, but there's only one that I have to go on about once a week; otherwise, my drive is always smooth and nice.

Like I've told others, I'm not a terribly spirited driver these days. I still have my fun, but I'm not taking corners at 60mph anymore, so I can't speak much to the performance aspect of it, though I feel it's definitely an improvement over stock. But to me, I get the ride height I wanted and the ride quality I needed -- perfect pairing suspension in my opinion.
Chazzy, I love the suspension set up. I've had it for a couple of days now and it really is a perfect balance between aesthetics and comfort for my kids. I barely notice a difference in normal driving at all, but when I hit the corners it's as flat as a pancake.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Chazzy, I love the suspension set up. I've had it for a couple of days now and it really is a perfect balance between aesthetics and comfort for my kids. I barely notice a difference in normal driving at all, but when I hit the corners it's as flat as a pancake.
Great news man. Glad you pulled the trigger on it and had similar results as myself.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Having done a bit of painting in my garage, that's cheap for the work involved. I say go for it :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts