2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, just bought a 2013 Mazda 3 I grand touring. I got a great deal and love driving it so far.

Two things are really bumming me right now. First, I didn't know about the tech package option, and really want sat radio, as I'm in a rural area. The dealer found the option to install sat radio into the nav radio that comes with the car, and added that to the purchase. Today he calls and tells me that sat radio is not available on the grand touring nav unless I have the tech package. That's simply unbelievable and really upsets me that mazda allowed this to happen. Any ideas why they did it this way? Are there any work arounds that I may be missing. I don't want to mount a external unit, as that looks really bad aesthetically.

Second, why no auto on/off of the headlights? Come on mazda, this is a $25k msrp car and they can't add that on to the car?? I've had auto on/off on my cars for years. It's like going back to the 80s, and it's going to take some getting used to, and hopefully no dead batteries!

Sort of sours my like of this car right now.

Thanks for any insights on here, take care,

CR

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Don't know about the radio. But auto off headlight are available with the tech package. But seriously it's not hard to turn the lights on and off. It's laziness. All my cars that had auto on off lights I did manually so I didn't get used to the car doing it for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'm guilty of being lazy, but that's pretty simple and old technology that didn't need to be on the tech package. Why not just include for lazy people like myself?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Welcome to the forum first of all! Second post pics of your car and tell us your plans. Now the Sat radio option I think you could work it without tech package but Im not too sure. You know you can buy a external one and hide it completely. The auto headlight is available only for tech package like brandon said. But you can buy a stalk with auto headlight and swap it. Why are you in such a need of auto headlights. I never use mine and it bothers me that I have them. Wanna swap lol jk

Reactions: XKXXKXe30

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum first of all! Second post pics of your car and tell us your plans. Now the Sat radio option I think you could work it without tech package but Im not too sure. You know you can buy a external one and hide it completely. The auto headlight is available only for tech package like brandon said. But you can buy a stalk with auto headlight and swap it. Why are you in such a need of auto headlights. I never use mine and it bothers me that I have them. Wanna swap lol jk
Thanks for the welcome! I'll post some pics tomorrow.

I was told that the mazda factory satellite radio kit will not work, not sure why though, so I'm hoping someone on here may know the details.

We just keep the light switch on in the cars we have, and let the sensors turn on the full lights when it gets dark out. We've mostly had toyota's over the years and I'm just used to it. Last night I left a lighted parking lot and drove a ways before I realized why oncoming cars were shining their high beams at me to turn my lights on!

Take care.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Ok, I'm guilty of being lazy, but that's pretty simple and old technology that didn't need to be on the tech package. Why not just include for lazy people like myself?
WOW you really are lazy. :p lol

Anyway if there are any local audio shops they can wire in satellite radio into the factory unit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome!

Well... me and my dad hooked up DRL lights that i ordered... and well they are on all the time the car is... and they shut off 25 seconds after i shut off the car. Its kinda cool. hahaha We wired it up ourselves... by guessing and checking lol and everything works fine. DRLs are kinda an option too if you want something to light up all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I'm understanding you correctly, all I need to do is buy this part and swap?

HEADLAMP SWITCH for 2013 Mazda 3|BBM366122

Thanks for your help.

Charles

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Welcome. I wouldn't worry about forgetting to turn off your headlights as a very annoying high pitch sound comes on if you leave them on when the car is off.

And I'm sure you can get a custom install of the sat radio and have it hidden and look OEM. Just probably going to be a good amount of money out of pocket to do this.

What are your plans for you car? Got any pics?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Sorry completely forgot you need the light sensor as well

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
Hopefully mazdas auto headlight feature isn't as sensitive as subaru's. people were reporting their bulbs blowing after a few months because the lights kept on switching on and off going under freeway underpasses.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hopefully mazdas auto headlight feature isn't as sensitive as subaru's. people were reporting their bulbs blowing after a few months because the lights kept on switching on and off going under freeway underpasses.
The feature is actually a bit slow to respond. Generally, the lights do not come on in a short tunnel, or just at the very end - which is a bit pointless. I preferred the feature on several Fords I had where the moment you entered the tunnel the lights came on.

I have to say I love auto headlights and they are on my "must-have list".
I am very disappointed though that Mazda did not include wiper-activated lights. In many areas, you are required by law to have headlights on when using wipers; all my Fords/Lincolns had that feature. In my Mustang, when I used the wipers, the headlights came on but the gauges did not dim; that's how it is supposed to be.

The Mazda light sensor is integrated into the rain sensor, which controls the automatic wipers. That is why the auto lights only come with the tech package, which includes auto wipers.

There is another light sensor on top of the dash, but it is for the auto climate control only.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Honestly i think the whole tech package to have sat radio is BS. you best option is to try to find someone who has it oem and seeing if they are tech or not. And also, you can contact other Dealers, or Mazda USA themselves. 800-222-5500, explain to them you are VERY disappointed of the broken promises this dealer gave you. How much did you pay for your package? Can possibly get them to upgrade you to tech package at same price. Depends on how good of an actor you are, and how long your foot is, to shove up their ass. But these dealerships don't know shit. I've proven this multiple times with the Dealer telling me at 1st, i'd have to go aftermarket fog lights since my isport didn't have the option of adding them. I bought 2011 fogs and plugged and played perfectly, could of done 2012 as well. And when i wanted turn signal mirrors, and was told by the manager of parts i would have to go aftermarket.. Bought oem speed mirrors and plugged and played perfectly.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The feature is actually a bit slow to respond. Generally, the lights do not come on in a short tunnel, or just at the very end - which is a bit pointless. I preferred the feature on several Fords I had where the moment you entered the tunnel the lights came on.

I have to say I love auto headlights and they are on my "must-have list".
I am very disappointed though that Mazda did not include wiper-activated lights. In many areas, you are required by law to have headlights on when using wipers; all my Fords/Lincolns had that feature. In my Mustang, when I used the wipers, the headlights came on but the gauges did not dim; that's how it is supposed to be.

The Mazda light sensor is integrated into the rain sensor, which controls the automatic wipers. That is why the auto lights only come with the tech package, which includes auto wipers.

There is another light sensor on top of the dash, but it is for the auto climate control only.
Interesting you had that experience. While I agree it's somewhat slower than what I'd expect, I think it does a decent job. There's a larger underwater tunnel near me I frequent through and the lights come on ~1/4 of the way through it and then stay on for maybe ~20 seconds or so after I exit.

Once in a blue moon I'll have them flick on driving through some shady areas but that's not usually the case.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If the car does have tech it will come with sat. But since no tech. U still have the option to go sat just cost a little extra to install. Every Mazda 3 can get equipped with sat otherwise why have have a button for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the car does have tech it will come with sat. But since no tech. U still have the option to go sat just cost a little extra to install. Every Mazda 3 can get equipped with sat otherwise why have have a button for it.
There is no button for Sirius on the unit, I think that's the problem.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
It is unfortunate that the dealership seemed to not know what was going on until too late. I would suggest the aftermarket Satellite Unit and hide it somewhere, probably your easiest and cheapest option.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts