2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Autocross so I am looking for any sort of tips/tricks for autocrossing in general, and even better some of the characteristics you have noticed while racing yours. I have signed up for the Milwaukee SCCA autocross school so I am looking forward to some quality instruction there as a start. I am not looking to be the fastest on the track as I know I won't be with the 2.0 but I do want to get very comfortable taking my car to its limit. I will post again with some more specific questions. Thanks!

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
I just finished my 2nd ever Auto-X today so I'm no expert but I feel like I can help you a bit.

Tips:

1. Know the course before you drive it. Walk it once and try to remember each turn, etc. If you can't walk it again.

2. Inflate your tires up a bit more. Stock says 32 psi for my car. I went to 37 today. Firmer sidewall on our tires will prevent any kind of sidewall rolling and helps a bit with body roll

3. Focus ahead as far and safe(Together : ) ) as possible. If you just focus on the next cone, it will seem like things are coming by super fast. Focusing on 3 or more cones/turns down the course helps you plan ahead on what line you are going to take, etc.

4. Since it will be your first time, sign up for the novice group unless the course you are taking tells you otherwise. The do a track walk thru with a "professional" and tell you what the cones stading up, laying down, etc are for.

5. Bring your own supply of water, painters tape roll, etc. for the day. Some events provides these while others do not. I'm 99.9% sure that each event has loner helmets. I don't own my own so I borrow one.

6. When working the course, if you aren't sure what to do, let someone know and they will be more than willing to help you out. Also, never have you back to a car that is in your area of the track. Always face it. If a cone is moved or knocked over and it is your job to readjust it, do it quickly while watching the course so you always know where the cars on the track.

7. Drive at a level you are comfortable with. No sense in overextending yourself your first time out and possibly breaking something on your car.

8. HAVE FUN!!! Auto-X is a blast and I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't ever been. Don't forget that it is your first time, so get used to the course on your first run, then start pushing your car a bit more each run following that.

Hope this helps!

Vids of me auto-xing

Last weekend of Jan.
http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk36/Crespo79/?action=view&current=March19Auto-X.mp4#!oZZ3QQcurrentZZhttp://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk36/Crespo79/?action=view&current=Autocross.mp4

Earlier today(03/19/11)
http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk36/Crespo79/?action=view&current=March19Auto-X.mp4

·
Registered
261 Posts
Those are great tips Crespo! I had my first ever SCCA event today and I had the best time ever. Everyone there was more than helpful and willing to help with anything you needed. I must say I was really impressed with the times i was putting down too. I was just hoping to have clean runs w/o taking out too many cones and I wasn't concerned with my lap times at all.

I ended up having faster lap times than a 2010 speed 3 and a Dodge Viper! My first 3 runs were completely clean but on my 4th I really went for it and ended up getting a course deviation b/c I wasn't looking far enough ahead and missed a cone. I'm jealous Crespo of how few slalom parts of the track your vids have. That's all I was doing at our track.

I would say the 2 best pieces of advice I got today were to a) look ahead and continue looking straight at all times, and b) have fun. You're not going to win anything but that smile you'll have on your face after your first run is priceless.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Those are great tips Crespo! I had my first ever SCCA event today and I had the best time ever. Everyone there was more than helpful and willing to help with anything you needed. I must say I was really impressed with the times i was putting down too. I was just hoping to have clean runs w/o taking out too many cones and I wasn't concerned with my lap times at all.

I ended up having faster lap times than a 2010 speed 3 and a Dodge Viper! My first 3 runs were completely clean but on my 4th I really went for it and ended up getting a course deviation b/c I wasn't looking far enough ahead and missed a cone. I'm jealous Crespo of how few slalom parts of the track your vids have. That's all I was doing at our track.

I would say the 2 best pieces of advice I got today were to a) look ahead and continue looking straight at all times, and b) have fun. You're not going to win anything but that smile you'll have on your face after your first run is priceless.
Glad I could help there is another one I might go to this weekend. Anyone in the bucaneer region? It is in savannah, GA

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is great, I also started auto-x this season. Looking to get out to as many events as possible.

I would also recommend asking other more experienced drivers to do a ride along with you, so you can get some direct feedback.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm hoping they actually host them up in Stowe this year. If they do, I'll be competing. Do they have separate classes for modded vs. Stock? I know if they have them up in Stowe, there will be a lot of modded Subarus that I will not want to mingle with... :mad 1:

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
I'm hoping they actually host them up in Stowe this year. If they do, I'll be competing. Do they have separate classes for modded vs. Stock? I know if they have them up in Stowe, there will be a lot of modded Subarus that I will not want to mingle with... :mad 1:
They have a bunch of classes to register for. What have you done to your car?

·
Registered
54 Posts
As of right now, nothing is done aside from the interior lights being swapped out for LEDs. I've been looking to invest in an exhaust and intake, but I'm also trying to save up to move right now, so my mods are at a pause... If they have it, I'm definitely hoping to participate just for the experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, getting some prep done before this weekend's event. At the Milwaukee SCCA club, they have a Drivers' School that I am attending and then the first race event Sunday. Looking like its going to be cold and rainy... in the 40's.

Going to set tires to maximum rated pressure from the sidewall and take readings off the tire of wear using the white shoe polish method as described in the below link.

Autocross

Thanks for all the tips! Looking forward to putting them into practice soon

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First AutoX event under my belt, and not too shabby. Placed 18/23 of F vehicles, about mid-pack after multipliers were applied to all classes. Its fun beating out some much faster (and expensive) cars. Gonna need some tires and wheels since the steelies and economy tires are not going to make it through the summer. I am hooked!!!! Joining SCCA soon, planning for many many fun weekends ahead. They should warn you how addicting AutoX is...

Oh and i guess I should mention it was snowing on saturday during the training school day and then 40/50s for the sunday event... yay wisconsin... the training school was great, had an instructor (who also drove the 3) for each lap giving pointers the whole time.

My advice and best lesson learned: walk the track as much as possible and take the first run easy working on track position, then do it faster and better each time

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2011 season is over, was able to end with a 2nd place in FWD and rookie of the year for milwaukee region scca. officially hooked!

·
Registered
282 Posts
2011 season is over, was able to end with a 2nd place in FWD and rookie of the year for milwaukee region scca. officially hooked!
Not too bad for a first-timer :tongue: good work. I've been once and it is lots of fun. but I dont have the time right now. as soon as I get a garage of my own (in a few years :crybaby 1:) I'm gonna buy a miata solely for auto-x.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds like you're well on your way. Lots of good advice in this thread. Best advice I can give is get as much seat time as you possibly can. Next best thing you can do is buy and run the best tires you can possibly afford. Also as others have mentioned talk to other drivers that have similar cars and successful at autocross for setup/driving advice. Who knows, maybe I'll catch you at a Chicago region event someday if you decide to branch out from the Milwaukee region. I run with them from time to time at the site in Joiliet IL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i got a look at the local schedules and will probably try to make it down to a few at rte 66. i know at the national street tire challenge we had a good number of chicago area come up for it, made for some good competition especially for overalls

1 - 16 of 16 Posts