2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone

Wanted to reach out and see what opinions everyone has regarding tires for a 100 mile per day highway commute. My stock tires are on their last leg and I already have a 16" steel wheel/firestone winterforce set up for when the snow comes ( in NWPA ) but want to get ideas for purchasing new tires for next year. Typically there's a lot of deals going on in the fall for all seasons.

My requirements I'd like to meet are: quiet, good handling in wet conditions ( traveling at 70 mph in the rain; obviously you drive slower in the rain but still ), over-all handling and life. I think these are the general requirements of most though.

Thanks in advance
Jason

·
Registered
16 Posts
G-Force Comp-2 A/S seems like the best deal out there right now for an all season..
Stellar reviews and tread wear rating of 400. They will be my replacements when it's time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My requirements I'd like to meet are: quiet, good handling in wet conditions ( traveling at 70 mph in the rain; obviously you drive slower in the rain but still ), over-all handling and life.
We live in New England and had the same criteria as you, with safety in the wet taking priority (it's the wife's car). We recently bought the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus after reading and reviewing these two pages on Tire Rack's site:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=216

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
G-Force Comp-2 A/S seems like the best deal out there right now for an all season..
Stellar reviews and tread wear rating of 400. They will be my replacements when it's time.
I have these and LOVE them. I use them for my summer tires. This is my 2nd year with them and they are superb 235/40/18. My commute for work is 104 round trip. My winter wheels are the DWS06 in 225/40/18 and I don't like them as much.

Attachments

Reactions: Jason3SGT!

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Good tire recommendations above. I would add Michelin A/S 3+ into your consideration.

I always do the TireRack comparison before I buy tire, putting together the top 3-5 on one screen, seeing the comparative strengths of each, and when I narrow those down to usually two, then read all the customer reviews for both of them.

You will not go wrong with any of the above recommendations for your tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in a very similar situation and went with Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus in 215/55r17. They are a great price at walmart-$108 each. So far I like them, but I've only had them on a few thousand miles (6 weeks or so). They are far better than the stock 18" Dunlop but due to the 98W load index they have a firm ride but much less harsh. They aren't as quiet as I'd hoped but they are far better than stock and I'm learning that this is just a noisy car. I am very happy with the decision to go 215/55r17 on 7" wheels. I think they look good, have adequate sidewall protection and they handle very well. The speedo is off a few MPH but I still average 36mpg with considerable stop and go and mountain driving in my 2.5 manual.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/50555003

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had them on my wife's Accord for about 18 months now. A steller UHP all season tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Holy meaty! Dang those look wild. Are they noisy at all?
You sure would think they would be but they are not. Not quite as quiet as the brand new General G MAX AS-05's i have on my Mazda6, but by God they stick and shed Houston rain without issue

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You sure would think they would be but they are not. Not quite as quiet as the brand new General G MAX AS-05's i have on my Mazda6, but by God they stick and shed Houston rain without issue
I was looking at Tirerack again the other day and seen these. You're saying these Generals shed the water or those BFGoorich?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was looking at Tirerack again the other day and seen these. You're saying these Generals shed the water or those BFGoorich?
I have both and would not have issues recommending either. I have more experience with the BFG G-Force COMP-2 A/S on my wife's 2007 V6 Accord and would probably recommend them for dry and wet performance over the also as good but quieter General G MAX As-05s I have on my Mazda6.

You're not going to go wrong with either

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have the DWS06 in the stock tire size. Huge improvement over the stock tires and my daily commute is nearly twice yours. Without rotating them I got 50k out of the fronts with the rear still plenty of meat on them. They also hold up to the bumps a bit more though, you also feel them more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts