2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes its electric! But this thing is no joke! I have had it on about three weeks and had it on a dyno this past Thursday. This is by far the best bang for buck mod. I thought the msds header was pretty impressive but this thing is the $hit.

This is my first post here mainly because I have had nothing to add up to this point. With that said... I have used this forum a crap ton and want to thank everyone who have posted info on here. I'm not gonna take the time to do a build thread right now but have found much help here regarding power mods, suspension, wheels and tires, etc.

I've been hesitant to post about this because I'm kind of in the middle of testing right now. Here is a link to the website. FTS-TQ18024V - New site
There are few other reviews out there right now and all showing great results. Including a kit on an FRS.
If interested I can post those links as well. What I'm doing here is trying to prove my point that this works before someone posts a comment/video of the ebay crap that DOES NOT WORK.

So here it is! He has two blowers: one that's rated for up to 180hp and the larger blower for up to 250hp. Currently I have the smaller blower installed and soon will have the larger to try. The smaller is putting up great numbers but tapers off at around 5000rpm. Because my car is right around 170-180ish hp without blower its going to need the larger blower. This is setup by a switch located on the gas pedal. Its meant to run at full throttle, I have it set at about 80% full throttle. The beauty here is still normal gas mileage under normal driving conditions. Problem is I have been abusing the hell out of it.:biggrin: This currently is not track ready as the batteries would run down. However for the street its impossible to run them out. Kit comes with a volt meter/on/off switch to setup on the dash which shows your 24v battery voltage and recharge rate. Recharge rate is 8:1 meaning 1 second of boost takes 8 seconds to recharge. Honestly, It seems faster than that. These push about 5psi and taper down to about 2 at higher rpm but with no parasitic drag. I'm gonna cut it short now cuz if its too long no one will read it and I could go on for a while here. Any ?'s feel free. I'll post pic and Dyno sheet. Keep in mind the larger blower is coming soon and we believe this will push us over 200hp. These numbers are on a Mustang Dyno.
Also I have nothing invested in this yet. Rob (Phantom Full Throttle Supercharger) sent me this to test after I contacted him on his Youtube channel. Says a lot about the confidence he has in it. Right now I think he is just trying to get past the negative image that Electric Superchargers have. However, he won't be getting mine back. This things amazing!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is safe as boost tapers at high rpm. I will be tuning in the near future to see what we can get. Also AFR's are were never lean. Under boost they were as low 11-12ish. I forgot to add this in orginal post but Rob had sent the blower with a built in fuel injector just in case we were lean. While driving I never noticed but the tuner guy at dyno shop noticed for a brief second or two is was in the 14 range. Which is completely safe but he suggested plugging in the fuel injector. Now it runs down to 10ish...I can't remember at what rpm that is, but to my surprise the injector added 20ft-lb. Here's a pic of injector on the blower.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bahahahahahahahahaha... Oops sorry
Bahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Ha! This is what I thought would happen going to a tuner shop. I walked in and saw BMW, Porsche, NSX:scared: I almost ran back out. But these guys were impressed and now in contact with Phantom Supercharger about being a delaer.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Not the craziest idea I've ever seen but very risky without the computer being clued into the new setup. This is basically carburetor-age tuning where more air + more fuel = more power, method be damned. It works, but because the Mazda ECU is an adaptive unit I would be curious to see what happens to the AFR's over the long term as it learns and adjusts to the increased air and fuel input from seemingly out of nowhere.

Also... putting fuel into the intake tract so far away isn't a great idea as you have poor control over how much sticks to the side of the manifold, and how much ends up in the cylinder. If you're going to run more injectors I highly suggest an additional fuel rail and modifying the stock intake manifold for another set of injectors.

Reactions: mekanick

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Not the craziest idea I've ever seen but very risky without the computer being clued into the new setup. This is basically carburetor-age tuning where more air + more fuel = more power, method be damned. It works, but because the Mazda ECU is an adaptive unit I would be curious to see what happens to the AFR's over the long term as it learns and adjusts to the increased air and fuel input from seemingly out of nowhere.

Also... putting fuel into the intake tract so far away isn't a great idea as you have poor control over how much sticks to the side of the manifold, and how much ends up in the cylinder. If you're going to run more injectors I highly suggest an additional fuel rail and modifying the stock intake manifold for another set of injectors.
Thats what I find hard to believe that the factory tune has that much compensation built into it. I dont believe it. Id like to see a real dyno graph with an AFR table to see how safe it really is

I agree about the injector too. Terrible band aid fix

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Tuning? Reliability of the engine? These engines I don't think will handle 250 hp for very long at all.
Thats about the limit for a 2.5 as orangevirus confirmed.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Oh lord... Post up actual dyno video, your AFR sheet. Power coming straight into the intake will be limited... and is very unsafe. Hope you don't blow your engine man..

I'd pick up an ultraguage or equivalent and watch very carefully. The 2.5s don't handle power well and our ecus without a proper tune don't like heavy mods.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't be so hard on him, I'm kind of curious to see what happens. If you are mean to him I will never know. So keep the flaming to a minimum, or you will feel the hand of mod.

Keep us updated Kjensenmich
Feelin the love wing. However I'm shocked too. I completely expected to get reamed with this one. I invited Rob the owner of Phantom and another guy who originally did an independent test for Rob to the forum. Hopefully they join in as they can answer any questions and give me a little support. Here's another link for his test.. Wild Weasel Tests An Electric Supercharger

and for the FRS test.... http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719
Sorry about all the links but if you take the time to read it its quite impressive.

I've had an Innovate Motorsports AFR gauge installed since the Supercharger was installed. About three weeks now. Never seen anything in 15's or higher and I watch it like a hawk.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts