2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my Sparco Tarmac wheels and went to put them on today, but came up a bit short...

So, now what? Do I call up Tire Rack? The nuts they included couldn't reach the studs, but even if they were an inch longer, the wheel contours wouldn't allow them to fit.

It seems like some people recommend "tuner" lugs. Others say longer studs... Any thoughts?

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
OEM-style "acorn" lug nuts are not meant to go into the lug pockets of aftermarket wheels. You need "cone" lug nuts (or tuner nuts as they're often called). I think your studs are long enough, I'm definitely not seeing the end of the lug pocket in your pictures and there's plenty of thread exposed. What should work is if you pick up a set of Muteki SR48 nuts off Amazon (Neo Chrome and Burning Blue are the only colors that don't flake off on day 1... just fyi). They're long enough for you to have good reach and should be narrow enough to fit in those lug pockets.

Reactions: TheBox

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input everyone. I called up TireRack, they are going to ship me some tuner style lugs free of charge. I'll see what they provide and consider upgrading from there, depending on how they hold up.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Did they send you lug nuts ? Never heard of those guy's sending the wrong lug nuts. I've ordered from them too and always got the correct lug nuts and hub-centering rings. And are you using the right size socket ? Just asking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They sent me standard chrome Lug nuts. They physically do not fit into the contours of the wheel where the studs are. I sent the rep at TireRack the picture above plus ones of the Lug nuts and they agreed they sent the wrong ones.

This is the first time they have messed up anything for me, but Customer Service was great in fixing the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts