2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had the stock 16” Steelys since I bought the car just got these rims off a wrecked Cadillac they say Dicastal on the inside, not sure if that’s the brand or what. They are 17s I put 225/45/r17s continentals on them. I’m a machinist and I’m going to make custom center caps for them. Has anybody made their own center caps before? Did you run into any problems? Will update whenever I start making them.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice looking wheels. They will look great when you get the center caps done. Post more pictures when done.

I also like the Mazda in silver. I wanted to get mine in silver but none of the local dealers had it in stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They don’t exactly, but it was close enough to fit without rubbing on the studs. Not the best thing in the world to do but I got these lugnuts with exaggerated shoulders sort of like built in washer so that it wasn’t a problem

·
Super Moderator
4,430 Posts
I'm not so sure those will work as well as you think.They might fit, but those CTS rims are 5x115, not 5x114.3. There is no way you are going to get the rim centered by forcing it over the lugs. The 114.3 rim will be self centering because of the cone lug seats. That can't happen using the 115 pattern because the lugs will not be centered in the holes. It might drive ok, but at speed you'll get a vibration. The lugs might even come loose because they can't be seated properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arathol, do you believe that .7mm or .025” is enough to make a difference? That the thickness of lead in a mechanical pencil. Unless it’s the home in the center not the studs, it’s hardly a difference. Help up yesterday on my 30mi drive to work and back at 90-100mph didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. The first day I got home I retorqued all of them and only several of them moved at all.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Arathol, do you believe that .7mm or .025” is enough to make a difference? That the thickness of lead in a mechanical pencil. Unless it’s the home in the center not the studs, it’s hardly a difference. Help up yesterday on my 30mi drive to work and back at 90-100mph didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. The first day I got home I retorqued all of them and only several of them moved at all.
Use M12x1.5 cone seat wobble nuts...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,430 Posts
If the cone isn't fully seated all around its isn't seated fully at all. The lug has to be centered in the hole or it will come loose. No if ands or buts, no close but not quite....

The first day I got home I retorqued all of them and only several of them moved at all.
None of them should be loose if they were properly torqued the first time. Having several loose lugs pretty much says it all......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts