2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Mazda New owner survey today and filled it out. Apart from the general satisfaction and rating , there was interesting information about the preference of Automatic Stop and Regenerative braking in there. I have the US model which does not list those as option. Also on the list of " optional accessories" were things like rear vent, cooled cup holders, different colors rims". Anyone else take the survey, let me know your thoughts..

·
Registered
188 Posts
I did, was rather long, but comprehensive. Hopefully they take the feedback seriously. I think the international versions have some those aforementioned features. I would love to have auto engine start/stop, being stuck in traffic and having long traffic light signals in general here in california. Even the Kia Rio has that. Would save at least a few MPG.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I also received the survey. This was a quantitative, not qualitative survey even though there were many open ended questions. Typically, you are not looking for new ideas in quantitative studies but simply directional data on input for decisions. Following this, most sophisticated companies do conjoint analysis to determine price/value points. Qualitative studies are done generally for the creation of new ideas.

Mazda is far from a sophisticated marketer and I doubt whether they even do conjoint analysis. Most of the "optional items" are already available and the in-country marketing groups will use this to decide what accessories/options to offer next year. This is not the correct way of making these types of decisions (which is why I know they are not very sophisticated) but it is the cheap way of doing it. They've used interpolation rather than extrapolation techniques. Furthermore, the data segmentation questions were not well thought out and thus segment marketing -- which is very important in today's connected and distributed environment -- cannot be very effective.

We have a really good car, but the result was not achieved by understanding the customer -- it was achieved by letting the engineers and designers have the ball. Luckily, they achieved a good result -- but it easily could have gone in the other direction.

That said, as an individual owner, I really like the result. However, if they take the same approach on other cars and lose the gamble rather than win it, we'll all be driving other brands a decade from now.

Reactions: sxwong

·
Registered
437 Posts
I got my car almost 6 months ago and never got the survey. The woman who sold me mine was kind of a moron, so she probably forgot or wrote down my address wrong.

·
Jaffa Cake Addict
385 Posts
I got my car almost 6 months ago and never got the survey. The woman who sold me mine was kind of a moron, so she probably forgot or wrote down my address wrong.
Dealers sometimes put a fake address/email address for customers they think will leave negative feedback. :sad:

Bought my car Oct 2013 and didn't receive a survey as well.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yesterday I was about to reply to this post that I didn't get a survey, but interestingly I just got the survey in the email yesterday lol Got my car in October as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
is the survey specific to the car only? Does it ask you about the purchase "experience"?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just received and completed the survey. Thought overall it was pretty unremarkable, but maybe it will help Mazda at least a little.

The whole "Spend $3000 on possible options" bit was more interesting, but I think they would have been better off with a list of features and a scale ranking their importance to you and how likely you would be to consider purchasing them. As it was, I ended up "buying" virtually all the safety features and had to ditch a few convenience features that I would have seriously considered if I had more "money". So, now Mazda thinks I don't care about rear AC controls or ventilated seats.

Also, I wish the survey had addressed how options are bundled. When I purchased my Mazda 3, I had to forgo the tech packages because they either were not available to me on my model (the GT tech package) or contained mostly stuff I didn't want (Navigation, auto AC, Apps, Upgraded stereo) and was not willing to buy just to get the one thing I wanted. (backup camera) There wasn't a good way for me to convey my displeasure with how the bundles were done.

Other than that, I was fine with filling out the survey. Hopefully, it will help improve a really great car even more.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The one I took seemed like it was focused on the sport mode feature - and if I was concerned about the reduced gas mileage if I used it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did it and gave good marks all around. The only negative thing I had in there was that the shift knob was advertised as being leather with red stitching (even on the window sticker!), but it doesn't appear to be compared to the steering wheel and parking brake. A minor thing overall, but still I hate false advertising.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts