2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I purchased this liquid silver 3 on October 31st as a "new" car with 130 miles on odometer. I like it for the most part, but a few things bug me

Perfect size
Looks great inside and out
Lots of features I didn't have in my 2009 Nissan Altima
Great highway fuel economy
Ride and handling trade off is spot on

Dislikes

No glove box light. I mean, really Mazda?
Dismal fuel economy on streets/stop go driving
Slow to get going unless I really step on it, which hurts the fuel economy

Overall though, I am satisfied with my purchase. I think I got a decent deal on it considering it was a "new" 2016 model being purchased in late 2017.

I drive 50 miles a day for commute and I needed something that was reliable, economical with bit more feature content.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Thanks for pointing out there is no glove box light! Now it's going to annoy me, lol.

Did you also notice the glove box has no carpet lining so any hard objects will rattle around? (I ended up putting in my own carpet lining)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats on the car!

I have a 2016 Mazda 3i Touring Hatchback (my 3rd Mazda!) and love driving it around.
Overall, the good outweighs the bad. There are definitely some annoyances, though, especially when compared to my previous cars ('07 Mazdaspeed 6 & '03 Protege 5) and my girlfriend's '16 Mazda 6.

Here's my list of annoyances (might only pertain to iSport/iTouring model):

-Only one 12V outlet, and it stays ON. Annoying to unplug every time you leave the car. '16 Mazda 6 has two, 1 switched & 1 constant.
-Speaking of the 12V outlet, it's inside the center armrest, not in front of shifter, as expected. So annoying! I believe GT has two.
-Only driver's window is one-touch up/down. Mazdaspeed 6 and '16 Mazda 6 have one-touch on all four windows. So convenient!
-Lack of proper front door pockets. They fixed this for 2017, but we get stuck with just a water bottle holder.
-No oil temp guage! This one baffles me! Speedometer v5.5 (custom app) kind of fixes that though.
-No glovebox light, as you mentioned. All my previous Mazdas had this. Can't recall about the '16 Mazda 6 at the moment.
-A bit sluggish compared to the bigger 2.5L engine like in the '16 Mazda 6, but faster than the protege 5. Not even fair to compare any of them to the Mazdaspeed 6 LoL

Like I said, overall I love driving it... but those little annoyances are making me reconsider my original plan of buying it out when my lease ends.

Just curious: I thought all Grand Touring models (here in USA, anyway) came stock with the 18" wheels. I remember that being one of the reasons I went with the Touring instead. Were the wheels on yours swapped to 16", or could that possibly be a Touring?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on the car!

I have a 2016 Mazda 3i Touring Hatchback (my 3rd Mazda!) and love driving it around.
Overall, the good outweighs the bad. There are definitely some annoyances, though, especially when compared to my previous cars ('07 Mazdaspeed 6 & '03 Protege 5) and my girlfriend's '16 Mazda 6.

Here's my list of annoyances (might only pertain to iSport/iTouring model):

-Only one 12V outlet, and it stays ON. Annoying to unplug every time you leave the car. '16 Mazda 6 has two, 1 switched & 1 constant.
-Speaking of the 12V outlet, it's inside the center armrest, not in front of shifter, as expected. So annoying! I believe GT has two.
-Only driver's window is one-touch up/down. Mazdaspeed 6 and '16 Mazda 6 have one-touch on all four windows. So convenient!
-No oil temp guage! This one baffles me! Speedometer v5.5 (custom app) kind of fixes that though.
-No glovebox light, as you mentioned. All my previous Mazdas had this. Can't recall about the '16 Mazda 6 at the moment.
-A bit sluggish compared to the bigger 2.5L engine like in the '16 Mazda 6, but faster than the protege 5. Not even fair to compare any of them to the Mazdaspeed 6 LoL

Like I said, overall I love driving it... but those little annoyances are making me reconsider my original plan of buying it out when my lease ends.

Just curious: I thought all Grand Touring models (here in USA, anyway) came stock with the 18" wheels. I remember that being one of the reasons I went with the Touring instead. Were the wheels on yours swapped to 16", or could that possibly be a Touring?
Great post. You're spot on with most of what you listed, and like you said, Pros definitely outweighs the cons in this case.

I don't have two 12V outlets. If I do, I'll have to find it. It'd be nice to have one around the center console area and not all the way in the armrest.
The 2016 iGT model came with the 16-inch wheels. They went to 18 inches after that. This was one of the important reasons for me to purchase this car. The 16-inch wheels are ideal for many reasons, including the road conditions around here, the amount of city driving I do and the amount of road noise this car has. I've read the reviews that 18-inch wheels contribute to higher road noise. I can't imagine how loud that'd be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
..... The 16-inch wheels are ideal for many reasons, including the road conditions around here, the amount of city driving I do and the amount of road noise this car has. I've read the reviews that 18-inch wheels contribute to higher road noise. I can't imagine how loud that'd be.
I have the 18" wheels and can vouch that the road noise is a little intrusive, but tolerable. I've heard changing from the factory Dunlop tyres goes a long way to making it quieter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The 2016 iGT model came with the 16-inch wheels. They went to 18 inches after that. This was one of the important reasons for me to purchase this car. The 16-inch wheels are ideal for many reasons, including the road conditions around here, the amount of city driving I do and the amount of road noise this car has. I've read the reviews that 18-inch wheels contribute to higher road noise. I can't imagine how loud that'd be.
OK, You're right... now I remember. It wasn't the wheels, but rather the cloth seats that made me stick with the Touring. In hindsight though, I would've gotten used to the leatherette seats (had no choice in the '16 Mazda 6).

Those are the same reasons I didn't want the 18" wheels. I'm perfectly happy with the 16".
Plus, I imagine the car would be even slower to take off with those bad boys.
The '16 Mazda 6 has 19" monsters, but those come standard on the Touring, so not much we could have done about that!

It's funny how the stock Touring trims (no extra packages) varied from the 3 to the 6 in 2016.
Here's a quick overview of the differences for anyone interested:

--------------------------------Mazda 3i Touring----- Mazda 6 Touring

Wheels..............................16"...........................19"
Seats................................Cloth.........................Leatherette
A/C...................................Manual Control............Auto Dual Climate Control
Wipers..............................Auto..........................Manual Control
Headlights.........................Auto..........................Manual Control
Heated Side Mirrors............Yes.............................No
Sunroof.............................Yes............................No
CD Player..........................No.............................Yes

I haven't paid too much attention, but I think the trims nowadays are more similar from one model to the other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts