2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just picked up some OEM GT Tail Lights, Only installed the hatch back lights at the moment, trying to figure out where to wire up the inside light for the LED Strip.

Let me know what you guys think.

:smile2:

Attachments

Reactions: jvaldan and aloof11

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whats the best way to remove the lights attached to the truck and wheres a good spot to wire them up too for the LED strip?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yep, just like mine. I had to LED the blinkers and reverse lamps. Now I'm officially non-incandescent.

·
SpeedySpeedBoy313
52 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just picked up some OEM GT Tail Lights, Only installed the hatch back lights at the moment, trying to figure out where to wire up the inside light for the LED Strip.

Let me know what you guys think.

:smile2:
How much were they? You should make an installation tutorial, as I would love to do this to my car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Trunk/Lid License plate lights come on with the same lights, i've seen them spliced into there. Or just get the proper wiring harness if someone would supply the # by looking at theirs.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Looking good. Loved these when I saw them in 2014 and in my opinion, they're still some of the best looking taillights out there

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much were they? You should make an installation tutorial, as I would love to do this to my car.
The whole kit cost about $700.

I can put together a tutorial.

Finished product came out really nice!
:nerd:

·
Registered
336 Posts
The whole kit cost about $700.

I can put together a tutorial.

Finished product came out really nice!
:nerd:
Looks fantastic, but that's a bit out of my budget.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final Result. Not the best picture quality but it looks good.

Wired it to the license plates lights. In the process one of my license plates lights died :(

Attachments

Reactions: alextheGOAT

·
Registered
163 Posts
Does anyone have the part numbers? Is it a straight plug and play for the 2017 Sport, maybe with a help of a few resistors?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Looks Sick! Want to do this!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm currently in the process of swapping out my tail lights for LED GT tail lights and I'm hoping anyone can chime in with the answer to this: How did you remove the trunk tail light assembly? I removed the single bolt that was on them but they still won't budge! What am I missing? I also noticed there is a white piece of plastic next to where the bolt went. Do I have to remove it? If so, how???

So lost; pls help! @[email protected]

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm currently in the process of swapping out my tail lights for LED GT tail lights and I'm hoping anyone can chime in with the answer to this: How did you remove the trunk tail light assembly? I removed the single bolt that was on them but they still won't budge! What am I missing? I also noticed there is a white piece of plastic next to where the bolt went. Do I have to remove it? If so, how???

So lost; pls help! @[email protected]
The foam around the tails is adhesive, give it some push and wiggle action just remember to brace yourself if you go hulk on it. The bolt is the only thing holding it in, the plastic nub is just a guide. Try not to pry, the metal is soft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The foam around the tails is adhesive, give it some push and wiggle action just remember to brace yourself if you go hulk on it. The bolt is the only thing holding it in, the plastic nub is just a guide. Try not to pry, the metal is soft.
Whoa, thanks for the quick response! :eek:

They're somewhat loose now but I just couldn't bring myself to really yank hard. Your post definitely gives me the confidence to it now, though. Going outside to try it again. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmm...it just won't budge! I've already tried pulling on it hard and still nothing. Anymore yanking and it's most likely going to break. (or so it seems?)

It doesn't feel like it's stuck with adhesive. I actually heard/felt the adhesive part of it lift up earlier today when I first started to pull them out. Now they're loose; I'm able to lift the tail light just a little bit now but it still feels like it's bolted on somewhere in the center of the piece. Wtf?? @[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lol...yeah, no. So I just removed the left side and it was definitely NOT just held in by the bolt! Unfortunately the plastic piece that clipped into the plastic nub broke inside the nub as well and can't seem to get it out without breaking it. Nice. -_-

So clearly I'm missing something...how do I get these damn things out without breaking anything?

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Huh mine wasn't clipped, just a guide post. Interesting. Screw is definitely the only thing on my 16 sedan and the new parts went in smooth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Huh mine wasn't clipped, just a guide post. Interesting. Screw is definitely the only thing on my 16 sedan and the new parts went in smooth.
Hmm, interesting indeed! Well, I appreciate your response regardless. In the end, everything turned out fine. A nice clean install with neatly wrapped/tucked/taped cables in the trunk lid + additional sound deadening. The only things that were damaged were the two plastic tips from the old trunk lid lights, but I was able to get the broken pieces back on with a strong plastic bonder. (Just in case I decide to sell them or keep them as spares)

I got all the white retainer clips off the trunk without breaking them too so I was able to re-use them.

I also decided to go with a full LED set up.

Overall, the lights look awesome! drool

Next up: OEM fog lights (already installed the switch) and LED headlights! 🤓

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Hmm, interesting indeed! Well, I appreciate your response regardless. In the end, everything turned out fine. A nice clean install with neatly wrapped/tucked/taped cables in the trunk lid + additional sound deadening. The only things that were damaged were the two plastic tips from the old trunk lid lights, but I was able to get the broken pieces back on with a strong plastic bonder. (Just in case I decide to sell them or keep them as spares)

I got all the white retainer clips off the trunk without breaking them too so I was able to re-use them.

Overall, the lights look awesome! *drool*

Next up: OEM fog lights (already installed the switch) and LED headlights! /forums/images/Mazda3Revolution_2014/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png
Very nice. If you're going full LED, don't forget these babies. Worth every penny and highest quality LED fog light you can find. Direct connect to the wiring harness. Takes 10 min to install.

Very limited quantity, just FYI. When they're gone, they're gone. Took a miracle to get these guys to do a second production run.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/fog-lights/morimoto-xb-led-fog-lights-type-mazda.html

·
Registered
267 Posts

Overall, the lights look awesome! *drool*

Next up: OEM fog lights (already installed the switch) and LED headlights! :nerd:

I can help you out if you wanna swap the headlights to GT style, also get the morimoto fogs. Spending the money on oem style looks terrible for the price. I also sound deadened my trunk, closes with a nice thud. I ended up selling my OEM halogen tails for ~200 total - minus ebay fees of course.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts