2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone downloaded and used the new MyMazda app yet? Is it worth downloading? I know it's free and stuff but I have so many apps on my phone I don't want to get it just to get it if it's not worth getting. For those who have downloaded and used it, what does it do? Do you find it useful or just takes up space in your phone?

·
Registered
156 Posts
It took a while before it was compatible with my phone. Once it was, I loaded it. Played with it a bit. Haven't opened it since. Just opened it now to look at it again. The app development team would be crying right now if they were my devs. I would be lighting up their work board with so many red tasks (bugs) and blue tasks (items they need to work on that maybe the project lead never considered but really should have).

One of the things you do is put your car's information in there... which then is promptly ignored in any other menu items you go into which requires info about your vehicle. If you have mobile start, there's a menu item for that but I don't have it and couldn't tell you if it works or not. Two of the menu items take you to articles you'll probably never actually look at. (Via webpages) A dealer locator which while I'm driving, I'd rather just open Google Maps instead. Roadside assistance which might be ok but I'd probably just grab the card out of my glove compartment or call the window sticker number.

It doesn't use the proper soft key options which tells me this is less than stellar work right off the bat.. It's probably something that was sourced out cheap but they told the dev "we want an app for $100.... and make it look snazzy". With so much tech available, there's A LOT more they could have done with the app and car. (For instance, since the mileage info gets communicated to the infotainment system and I sync my phone to it through BT, why isn't the app auto updating with my mileage and car info in the service schedule section?!?)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the app is pretty much useless. I love Mazda vehicles but their software leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, I've been trying to track down access to their teams that do software stuff for the app and the infotainment system but no one at Mazda has been very helpful. Which is odd because it looks like they need all the help they can get. I'd even offer up my time as a professional tester for free just to get this thing worked out but something tells me they have a very anemic team.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah Mazda is a little behind the times with their customer engagement stuff. The cars drive great and that's nice, but we're in an age now where people need more than that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What are the purposes the app is supposed to accomplish? .... I'm looking it up....
The current iOS version gets a 1.5 out of 5 rating, and the current Android version gets a 3.1 out of 5 rating.
So, it looks like the MyMazda app is just another way for the dealers to bug us with service reminders and coupons.
There are how-to video links and dealer locators, which could be useful if that app was designed well. Not for me. No thanks!
It looks like they also built in a function to log your GPS position when you leave your car, so that you can find your car later.
Also: no thanks! I'm pretty sure there are some competitive and therefore much better apps out there to do that.

Here is the description of the app from Google Play:

"The MyMazda App makes keeping track of your Mazda simpler and more convenient than ever. Some features that the app provides are appointment scheduling capabilities, service reminders, service history and vehicle “How To” information and videos, all at the touch of your fingertips.

To further help keep your car in top shape, owners receive coupon offers for servicing your vehicle at an authorized Mazda Dealer. In addition, the app stores your servicing dealer's contact information and includes a Find a Dealer function that allows you to simply locate, call, or find directions to the Mazda Dealer of your choice.
And you'll never have to worry about forgetting where you parked your Mazda again, thanks to the GPS-powered car finder. With a few taps, you can mark your car's location when you park and then find it again when you're ready to go."

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My other car (from a different manufacturer) also has an app and it is a lot more useful than the current MyMazda app. Again, not bashing Mazda because I love their vehicles. They just need to step up and commit more resources to their software department.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tried the app but deleted it. I tried to load my VIN, but it wouldn't take. I thought it might communicate with the car through BT, but I couldn't get it to work. I use aCar to track maintenance, so I just went back to that.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Waste of space on your phone. Have no good feature beside the ability to email Mazda corporate from it and even that is buggy. You can put your vin number on it with no real reason beside just putting it there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts