2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent 5 years commuting in and constantly fixing a 1998 Audi A4 1.8T. That car costed me THOUSANDS! No joke - I'm still paying off the loan. Alas, I'm looking forward to a fun reliable future with my new MS3.

I took home 2010 speed 3 in black mica last monday. So far, I love it. I don't have a lot of money to throw into the car but some cheap stuff I'd like to do is tint, HIDs and a CAI. I seem to be having a hard time getting used to this clutch but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Looking forward to everything the forum has to offer.

-Justin

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice to see a fellow Bostonian! Welcome!

I don't have a MS3, only the regular 2.0 but I can imagine it's a blast to drive.

·
SpeedRacer
48 Posts
Im from Lowell which is not too far from Boston and I have a red 2010 speed3 and I love it! This car is awesome and you will not regret buying it. You will definitely need some snow tires with a smaller wheel for the winter but besides that its awesome.

·
Zoom-Zoom!
35 Posts
I just spent 5 years commuting in and constantly fixing a 1998 Audi A4 1.8T. That car costed me THOUSANDS! No joke - I'm still paying off the loan. Alas, I'm looking forward to a fun reliable future with my new MS3.

I took home 2010 speed 3 in black mica last monday. So far, I love it. I don't have a lot of money to throw into the car but some cheap stuff I'd like to do is tint, HIDs and a CAI. I seem to be having a hard time getting used to this clutch but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Looking forward to everything the forum has to offer.

-Justin
Welcome aboard, fellow 128 resident! Where'd you pick up your MS3? Norwood? Wellesley? Ira?

·
Registered
238 Posts
welcome aboard, enjoy the car. Go Yankees:) ROFL, sorry had to say it:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice to see a fellow Bostonian! Welcome!

I don't have a MS3, only the regular 2.0 but I can imagine it's a blast to drive.
I like it! like I said, just need to get the clutch thing down haha

Im from Lowell which is not too far from Boston and I have a red 2010 speed3 and I love it! This car is awesome and you will not regret buying it. You will definitely need some snow tires with a smaller wheel for the winter but besides that its awesome.
I hear ya on that one. I think I managed to purchase while the worst is over. Shouldn't have to worry about snow tires for another 9-10 months hopefully. I might actually just run my 98 Audi into the ground while it still has a little life in it. Quatro + snow tires FTW

Welcome aboard, fellow 128 resident! Where'd you pick up your MS3? Norwood? Wellesley? Ira?
Sentry West, way the heck out there in Shrewsbury. I was in the area Framingham looking at a used Acura at Automax pre-owned. The saleman was an asshole. My buddy remembered that I was looking at MS3 and knew there was a dealership next to his work so we headed down RT 9. Took it for a test drive and just had to have it.

welcome aboard, enjoy the car. Go Yankees:) ROFL, sorry had to say it:)
haha I'm used to it. To be honest though, I'm more likely to be found playing call of duty than watching sports. My friends routinely give me shit about how out of the loop I am when it comes to the Celts, Pats, BoSox etc etc. Boston sports are like religion to people around here and my lack of knowledge could be considered blasphemousness

ps. I was looking at your pictures earlier. You're car is MINT. I need that tint/those rims/that front lip! I tried tinting the tails on my audi a while back and it came out terrible. Did you do that yourself?

·
zoom freakin' zoom
613 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
501 Posts
welcome and 'grats on the purchase. I had a '98 A4 too (2.8 quattro sedan) until the exhaust and clutch went...almost $4k! :shocked: Kinda miss it today though, that car had character

based on mileage I've put on cars since, it would have around 180k, doubt it woulda made it. old Audis seem to be here today, gone the next

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
welcome and 'grats on the purchase. I had a '98 A4 too (2.8 quattro sedan) until the exhaust and clutch went...almost $4k! :shocked: Kinda miss it today though, that car had character

based on mileage I've put on cars since, it would have around 180k, doubt it woulda made it. old Audis seem to be here today, gone the next
I bought mine for $8000 with 52K miles on it in 2006 using funds appropriated from a student loan. It currently has 105K miles. I never touched the loan while I was in college so it accrued like $3K in interest. I sunk about $1000 in preventative maintenance at a crappy mechanic. I sunk about $4000 into it trying to maintain brokeness (ABS Module, Wheel Bearings etc) while, at the same time, trying to mod it (KO4, Tune, Exhaust). Nothing EVER came together. Now it's in my driveway with a bad wheel bearing (3rd one) coolant leak, oil leak, windshield washer fluid leak, and the brakes give me about 40% stopping power (brake line leak). The thing is LEAKING LIKE AN 80 YEAR OLD MAN. The car might as well be in hospice with a DO NO RESUSCITATE ORDER.

BUT.... if I can plug those leaks, get the brake line done, and have someone press a bearing, at 105K, I can still make some of my money back.

AUDI "TRUTH IN ENGINEERING" Gimme a :censored 1:'ing break. My girlfriends 1996 Lexus ES330 has 240,XXX on it and it runs smoother than my Audi. Pretty sad Germany...PRIT TEE sad

It felt so good to drive off the lot in my new MS3. A completely stock car that smokes my tuned Audi. Best band for the buck hands down.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mine was handed down from my mom at 104K, she had it since new and she wasn't easy on it. I remember we had the head machined at 60k (iron block, aluminum heads FTW). Wheel bearings seemed to go every 30k after 90k. Since I had it, I went thru 2 MAF sensors in 10K. Camshaft seal went at 130k, causing lots of oil to travel all the way through the exhaust and out the back...probably part of the reason why the cat converters went at 145k.

When I got rid of it at 145k, it needed: exhaust from the flex pipe back (why pay 600 for a catback when you've got a flex pipe dump!), valve job, clutch (original), and body work (combo of neglect and trim pieces falling off). $4k estimate. But even tho it had some of these headaches, I have great memories from my time w/ it

And the truth in engineering is evidenced in the clutch job. Parts are only 300, but the labor is at least 15 hours, so it'll end up costing you $2k if you don't want to take off the front end and half the engine out. The price you pay for a big engine in a small car, I guess

·
Registered
238 Posts
I like it! like I said, just need to get the clutch thing down haha

I hear ya on that one. I think I managed to purchase while the worst is over. Shouldn't have to worry about snow tires for another 9-10 months hopefully. I might actually just run my 98 Audi into the ground while it still has a little life in it. Quatro + snow tires FTW

Sentry West, way the heck out there in Shrewsbury. I was in the area Framingham looking at a used Acura at Automax pre-owned. The saleman was an asshole. My buddy remembered that I was looking at MS3 and knew there was a dealership next to his work so we headed down RT 9. Took it for a test drive and just had to have it.

haha I'm used to it. To be honest though, I'm more likely to be found playing call of duty than watching sports. My friends routinely give me shit about how out of the loop I am when it comes to the Celts, Pats, BoSox etc etc. Boston sports are like religion to people around here and my lack of knowledge could be considered blasphemousness

ps. I was looking at your pictures earlier. You're car is MINT. I need that tint/those rims/that front lip! I tried tinting the tails on my audi a while back and it came out terrible. Did you do that yourself?
Local body shop did them, some type of spray, they came out great, did all the reflectors on car as well.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts