2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All! Was glad to find such a big community of posters about these cars. I recently purchased a 2008 with about 70K from a friend whose mother'd been the original owner, and have been happy with everything non-mpg related about the driving experience, with the exception of one problem: at low speeds, I notice something funny about the steering. The wheel will click to the left in regular intervals, timed with the rotation of the tires, like I have a flat. I don't, and my alignment's just been dialed in. Once the car is going 5mph or more, any drifting disappears; I can drive straight down the hwy without touching the wheel. Any ideas? I suspect the same phenomenon is happening at higher speeds but is unnoticable as the car speeds up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is this occurring on a flat surface? FWD vehicles are subject to torque steer, so I wonder if there is actually a problem. Then again, it's possible a worn ball joint, tie rod, or lower arm bushing could be a factor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CV joints and boots look OK, though I'm no expert. Don't think it's torque steer, since it's most notable at slow speeds. I should also note that the front end always makes a weird little clunk about 5 seconds after I start driving, just once after starting the engine, and that it does this whenever I start the engine and begin driving, even when the motor's warm and I've been driving all day. Don't know whether that's connected or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts