2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow Mazda admirers. Coming from years of owning a Mini, I wanted a reliable but fun & frugal car for my retirement. I chose a Mazda2 as if I lived in Europe or Puerto Rico, actually preferring it to the Mazda3 on the basis of my budget and my minimalist tendencies, driven largely by environmental concerns. Now of course, I realized that I couldn't find a Mazda2 in the regular USA except in the form of a Toyota Yaris, so- I bought a Yaris :) It gives me a dealership a few blocks away even if it doesn't have as pretty a face as a 'real' Mazda. Since my engine and frame have Mazda labels everywhere, I feel qualified to join this forum- hope you all agree!
My engine is like a baby Mazda3 engine- the 1.5 L Skyactiv with the 6-speed automatic. I wanted a manual but have some aging issues that made me wonder how well I'd be rowing the gears by my 80th birthday in 7 years, so I played it safe with the automatic.
I've had the car almost two years now. Total satisfaction. I'm averaging 42 mpg over the whole 25,000 miles logged so far. My price delivered with tax and new title was under $19,000 and I got the car when Toyota was offering 0% financing, so I have a lovely new car for close to just $200/month. (I got some cash for the remnants of my Mini.)
I'll post some photos when I figure out more about the Mazda site here. I did upload a batch for my Album to which I'll link her3 soon if I can. My Yaris is red, not too different from Mazda's Soul Red Crystal.
I'm hoping our engines last and our cars are fun for years!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I also own a 2016 Mazda2 in the US. Mine was bought as a Scion iA. I bought it for the kids through college. I wanted them to have all the safety features available, a maneuverable car to avoid accidents and not enough power to get them in trouble.

I am thinking about using it as my daily driver when the second graduates in 2 years.

I agree that it is a perfect sized, fun to drive car. The only things I wish it had is more power, an arm rest, and the button on the door to unlock it so I don’t have to get out the key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that it is a perfect sized, fun to drive car. The only things I wish it had is more power, an arm rest, and the button on the door to unlock it so I don’t have to get out the key.
[/QUOTE]

Mine has the convenience key feature. Nice little buttons easy to push, if I can just remember which of my clothes has my key in them. I don't miss the power much since I rarely have a human passenger and the car is so light, and revs out so nicely; so I focus on the mpg. For an arm rest, I have my two coffee mugs in the holders that fit my arm amazingly well and keeps my hands on the wheel more. Still, I did buy an aftermarket unit when the car was new which I later abandoned. I'm glad you can enjoy yours again soon. They steer so nicely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts