2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I’m new here. I’m going to pick up a used 2014 Mazda 3 i Sport this week. It has about 49k miles, and is the manual 6 speed model. To my knowledge it is all stock, but I’d like to put some work into it to pull some more hp out of it! It’s already super fun to drive, mostly looking to do it for the recreation of working on my own car, and maybe a little bit of showing off XP

I’m no mechanic, but I can do most moderately challenging modifications myself with the right instruction. I’m not looking for instruction on this thread, more so just some suggestions on decently easy modifications that will give me some speed! I was thinking about cold air intake, and maybe some sort of ECU upgrade for starters.

What are some mods you all have done to your similar models? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
There is not much you can easily do to a Skyactiv engine as it is putting out close to it's maximum power from the factory. You already have a 14:1 combustion ratio and the engine comes with an exhaust header. You could put an aftermaket exhaust but I don't think you will get a power gain, just a noise increase. Not sure how much and Orange Virus tune is but do a forum search and check out the tuning thread for Orange Virus. Happy motoring from Thailand.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
There is not much you can easily do to a Skyactiv engine as it is putting out close to it's maximum power from the factory. You already have a 14:1 combustion ratio and the engine comes with an exhaust header. You could put an aftermaket exhaust but I don't think you will get a power gain, just a noise increase. Not sure how much and Orange Virus tune is but do a forum search and check out the tuning thread for Orange Virus. Happy motoring from Thailand.
This is very true. Exhaust will get you almost nothing. The stock exhaust is already very efficient. If you get under your car, you'll see it's been mandrel bent as opposed to the usual cheap crush bends. Google search for this if you're not sure what this means.

Intakes don't do much to most cars, it really doesn't do much to these.

Basically you're changing the noise of the car and not a lot else.

Orange virus tuning has seen very good results. It's about the only thing worthwhile on a cost effective basis. To see a large increase in power, you'll be using premium fuel. Up to you if that is worth the extra cost or not.

·
'18 M3HGTP Eternal Blue
77 Posts
First rule of performance, it's Always cheaper to just buy what you want (performance-wise) than to try and modify to get there. 155hp not enough for you, buy a GTI ~ they have 200hp. Or a Subaru STI, they have 300hp. Heck, in my local market I could buy a 400hp Vette for less than a Mazda 3. WAY cheaper to go that route, and so long as you leave it stock it'll stay reliable.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
First things first, don't make it faster. Make it brake faster, corner harder. But don't shoot for faster first.

You'll find that just doing braking and cornering makes it a very different car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First things first, don't make it faster. Make it brake faster, corner harder. But don't shoot for faster first.

You'll find that just doing braking and cornering makes it a very different car.
This makes sense, and I did consider it, but it already has brand new brakes, and when I test drove it, the cornering and handling already seems super sporty and fun, so I wasn’t really planning on doing much in that regard.

What, if any, suggestions would you have on mods for braking and cornering specifically?

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
What, if any, suggestions would you have on mods for braking and cornering specifically?
Job one is replace the rear sway bar with something like the Progress bar, makes a huge difference for under $200. Proper springs and dampers really make a difference. Something like H&R Sport springs and Koni Special Active Red dampers do wonders for these cars. Better rims and tires as the factory rubber is generally horrendous as far as performance goes and the OEM rims are pretty heavy. Lighter is always better. A front strut tower brace to tighten things up, Tanabe makes a decent one but there are lots of options out there. Lots of other things, read up in the performance sections..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Job one is replace the rear sway bar with something like the Progress bar, makes a huge difference for under $200. Proper springs and dampers really make a difference. Something like H&R Sport springs and Koni Special Active Red dampers do wonders for these cars. Better rims and tires as the factory rubber is generally horrendous as far as performance goes and the OEM rims are pretty heavy. Lighter is always better. A front strut tower brace to tighten things up, Tanabe makes a decent one but there are lots of options out there. Lots of other things, read up in the performance sections..

arathol

I would also suggest almost same as arathol mentioned above.

Here’s a list of all the mod I have so far
  • Enkei TS10 18x8.5 ET50 Gold
  • Borla S-Type Axle Back
  • Eibach Pro-Kit
  • EBC Redstuff Pads
  • Bilstein B8 Shocks
  • CorkSport Rear Sway Bar
  • CorkSport Rear Motor Mount
  • CorkSport Short Shift Plate
  • CorkSport Shifter Bushings
  • CorkSport Front Strut Bar
  • K&N Drop-in Air Filter
  • RallyArmor Mud Flaps
  • Moog Endlinks

Sent from my Washing Machine using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
How rigid are Bilstein B8 compared to OEM ?
K&N panel filter or Typhoon 69 ?

What do you think are the changes that are really worthwhile to improve the car?

I'm interested in:
  • Bilstein B8
  • filter K&N Typhoon 69

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts

What do you think are the changes that are really worthwhile to improve the car?

I'm interested in:
  • Bilstein B8
  • filter K&N Typhoon 69
The single most cost effective improvement outside of the rear bar is a tune. After that is better springs and dampers.
Of the ones on your list (or not), the rear motor mount helps quite a bit but you really need to raise the idle somewhat, and the JBR shift plate and bushings are a nice improvement over the stock shifter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why not CorkSport Short Shift Plate? Better JBR ?
I am also interested in the STB. I hope you serve

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
I prefer the JBR kit because it has two different settings where the CS version has only one.
STB, meh, they are all pretty much the same. What you get depends on how much you want to pay.

·
Registered
137 Posts

I'm interested in:
  • Bilstein B8
  • filter K&N Typhoon 69
B8 + Eibach is definitely stiffer than the OEM setup, I’ve spilled my coffee a couple times already. However, it does increases the overall handling significantly.

Like arathol mentioned, RSB would be a very cost effective way to improve handling of our cars. And I chose to go with all CS parts was because I ordered them in the same order so they came in the same package. And I don’t need to deal with multiple companies and taxes and duties... Other companies also making great parts for our car with very competitive prices.

If your OEM shocks are still in good condition then I’d suggest that you go for the RSB and springs first. I waited until the OEM shocks started leaking a little bit and then switched to B8.

Also I’d keep the OEM airbox since it is already good enough and get a set of good tires and wheels.

Hope this helps and feel free to let us know if you have any other concerns.

Sent from my Washing Machine using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I already have Eibach pro kit and RSB Progress. I would like to understand how much the B8s are more rigid than the OEMs with the same Eibach springs. How many km did the OEM shock absorbers last?

·
Registered
185 Posts
My advice is just buy one with the 2.5
I know they are harder to find but I learned from previous car ownership, if you like more power just start with the highest power factory engine. No point spending $ to gain a few HP when you can get and extra 30 with a factory engineered and tested car

That is why I got a 2.5, it took me more time to find one to buy but I am glad I did.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know they are harder to find but I learned from previous car ownership, if you like more power just start with the highest power factory engine. No point spending $ to gain a few HP when you can get and extra 30 with a factory engineered and tested car

That is why I got a 2.5, it took me more time to find one to buy but I am glad I did.
in Europe there was only 2.0 165hp. Nothing 2.5. With the 2019 the 2.0 skyactiv-X 180hp will arrive but I don't think it has more performance.

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts

The 2.5 has more power but the 2.0 is more fun to drive. It revs better, it revs higher and responds better to tuning.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
in Europe there was only 2.0 165hp. Nothing 2.5. With the 2019 the 2.0 skyactiv-X 180hp will arrive but I don't think it has more performance.
So first thing is that the 2019 does not have the skyactiv-x engine. It isn't even on the market yet. So to say it doesn't have more performance, there's no way you could possibly know that unless you work with Mazda on that particular project. Furthermore, you DID say that it has more performance. 165hp vs. 180hp.

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
So first thing is that the 2019 does not have the skyactiv-x engine. It isn't even on the market yet. So to say it doesn't have more performance, there's no way you could possibly know that unless you work with Mazda on that particular project. Furthermore, you DID say that it has more performance. 165hp vs. 180hp.
In Europe it does....

·
Registered
67 Posts
in Europe it is on sale in 1 month. there is no instrumental evidence but the testers who say it say it seems slower than it should go with 180hp. And it weighs about 100 kg more than the 2018 2.0 165 hp.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts