2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to your forum and relatively new to Mazda as well.
My wife is nearing 40K with her 2016 Mazda 3 ISport (I think). I have a couple things I am looking for here:
What is the actual recommended maintenance intervals for her car? I’ve spent an hour going through the stealership service receipts with her and comparing it to the manual. I chastised her because apparently she agreed to a new air filter during each oil change! Also please give me any advice on things to check, tighten, or inspect.
What onboard emergency tools do you recommend keeping in the trunk? So far she has a set of jumper cables and a 1/2" breaker bar paired with the correct socket for the lug nuts. I also have a decent metric wrench set and a combination metric/sae socket set, with deep sockets in there with a couple basics like a #2 Philips, flat head, needle nose, and channel lock pliers.
I generally keep basic tool sets in our vehicles just for my own piece of mind. No snow chains, not needed in our area.

So far we are very pleased with her Mazda, but in my experience things get interesting right as manufactures warranties end.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Hi, I am new to your forum and relatively new to Mazda as well.
My wife is nearing 40K with her 2016 Mazda 3 ISport (I think). I have a couple things I am looking for here:
What is the actual recommended maintenance intervals for her car? I’ve spent an hour going through the stealership service receipts with her and comparing it to the manual. I chastised her because apparently she agreed to a new air filter during each oil change! Also please give me any advice on things to check, tighten, or inspect.
What onboard emergency tools do you recommend keeping in the trunk? So far she has a set of jumper cables and a 1/2" breaker bar paired with the correct socket for the lug nuts. I also have a decent metric wrench set and a combination metric/sae socket set, with deep sockets in there with a couple basics like a #2 Philips, flat head, needle nose, and channel lock pliers.
I generally keep basic tool sets in our vehicles just for my own piece of mind. No snow chains, not needed in our area.

So far we are very pleased with her Mazda, but in my experience things get interesting right as manufactures warranties end.
Oil changes at every 7,500k, Air filter replacement every 6 months (dusty environment), first aid kit, survival kit (water/rations/foil blanket), mini air tire pump (emergencies only), gas can

brake, transmission, radiator, steering flushes and belts replacement.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you live in a dusty or smoggy environment than changing the air filter with an oil change is a god idea. If you are DIYer than buy a K&N reusable air filter and clean it yourself. Other than the tools you listed keep a good first aid kit in the trunk. Happy motoring from Thailand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cannot argue the advice provided by MrBen and Rdrokit. As far as stuff in the trunk I am looking more for what stuff to have on hand to change the battery in the parts store parking lot or “down-n-dirty” verify she has spark and fuel in the case of a no-start condition before calling my preferred tow service to get it home. For example, it is really important to have a T25 torx in my SUV and a T20 in my truck to start checking anything.
Zip-ties is the last thing I needed that I was cursing myself for not having on hand. A funnel to help get the gas from a can into the car instead of on the ground is a good idea. Someone can always bring a couple gallons, but from experience that good samaritan rarely has a funnel. I have clevises with my tow strap because so many vehicles do not have a hooks for tow points.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Well if you are driving a beater I would carry more tools but with a 2016 Mazda 3 you won't need any additional tools unless you beat the sh#t out of the car and do not do any maintenance. I have had my 3 going on 5 years now and never had a problem except a blown sidewall on those lousy Dunlaps it came shoed with. As for running out of gas once the low fuel light come on you can drive about 60 km. Anyone who runs out of gas deserves to be walking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its just how I am, and an excuse to upgrade some of my tools by rotating them around to vehicle kits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So are there any maintenance intervals that members would recommend that differ from the owners manual? Such as doing transmission fluid early? Planning to be early on maintenance is probably best for me as I do not drive her car often and would have trouble tracking the mileage.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Always follow the service intervals in the owner's manual. That includes replacing fluids no one considers to be important (coolant, brake fluid, and transmission fluid).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this is late response, but why would you want to be caught with out enough tools to say.. by pass the heater core after letting it cool down a bit and get on home or tighten a loose battery cable? I have been able to fix a vehicle twice now before the AARP (was cheaper than AAA) membership called me back to tell me the tow truck was on its way?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts