2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

About a month ago I bought a used 2008 Mazda 3 i Touring (5 speed manual) — 160k miles on the clock but the Carfax report was clean as a whistle.

Loving it more and more every day! I was originally in the market for a GTI, but I’d always admired the Mazda 3 and because I had cash was able to talk the dealership down about $2000 on this car. Honestly I’m extremely pleased with my purchase.

First thing, I took it in to the shop for an oil change and thorough inspection and everything’s in great shape, so I’m not worried about the mileage at all.

One question though: looking through the carfax, I never saw anything about the clutch being replaced. It seems really odd to me that a car could go 160k miles on the factory clutch, so either a) it was and wasn’t reported or b) it is original. Anyone have any thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,963 Posts
Carfax is only as good as what is reported. Unfortunately more is unreported than reported most times.
It is possible that the car has the original clutch, but if it does that clutch probably doesn't have much more life in it.
Get the transmission fluid changed too.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did, actually. I check my fluid levels weekly, and just a few days ago noticed that the brake/clutch fluid was extremely low. Next time I drove shifting was getting rough and both the clutch and brake pedals were feeling a little spongey; assumed a leak. Called my mechanic and scheduled an appointment, and sure enough the brake master cylinder was beginning to fail and was leaking, so I had that replaced today. They bled the lines and replaced the fluid. I (as well as my mechanic) for my own peace of mind double checked that the clutch itself was solid.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Hi all!

About a month ago I bought a used 2008 Mazda 3 i Touring (5 speed manual) — 160k miles on the clock but the Carfax report was clean as a whistle.

Loving it more and more every day! I was originally in the market for a GTI, but I’d always admired the Mazda 3 and because I had cash was able to talk the dealership down about $2000 on this car. Honestly I’m extremely pleased with my purchase.

First thing, I took it in to the shop for an oil change and thorough inspection and everything’s in great shape, so I’m not worried about the mileage at all.

One question though: looking through the carfax, I never saw anything about the clutch being replaced. It seems really odd to me that a car could go 160k miles on the factory clutch, so either a) it was and wasn’t reported or b) it is original. Anyone have any thoughts/comments?

Thanks!
The best part was getting the $2000 off the price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
/quote]

The best part was getting the $2000 off the price.[/QUOTE]

It was listed for $5800 and I got it for $3600, so I’m pretty pleased with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts