2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, im new here and i bought a 2012 mazda 3i touring yesterday.

Well tonight was the first night i got to drive it in the dark and low and behold my right side projection lamp seemed really dim, so when i got home i went took a look at it and if you look through the projector the housing behind it seems to be misaligned. it almost seems that the light bulb is above the lens. is there any way to fix this or do i need a new headlight?
this is my first car with projection headlights, so im not sure if this is normal or not. i did do a search and came up with nothing, but i could just be wording it wrong.

But other than that im loving this little car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Since you have a low projector/ high reflector setup I wouldn't think there would be a shutter in the low but it looks like there is or some other object and it's obstructing the bulb. Have the dealer fix it / wherever you got it fix it. Alternatively you could pull the bulb and try and take a better look, may be difficult to get a good one.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
The bulbs should be held in by a metal clip that holds tension on the back of the light bulb and keeps it in, this clip may have lost its ability to hold proper pressure or may have come loose and is allowing the bulb to sit out of the slot it is meant to be in. I would double check this before doing anything else, very common issue on any car with clip held headlights. Worse comes to worse and the clip wont hold pressure, I had one do that on an older car and used a ziptie to pinch it together and then slid the zip tie under the bulb hole and it held pressure, just need a new zip tie when you change your lights, or find another assembly that's in good shape at a junkyard and swap it. its super easy on these cars 2 bolts on the assembly a couple of clips and screws on the bumper and its out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for the response i will check the clip, if thats not the issue i will more than likely just order a new set. i just noticed the top of the other one is scuffed/faded so, that could be a good excuse.. there is a set i have my eyes on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts