2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

New Mazda 2 with MZD-Connect and DAB

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  taffyposh 
#1 ·
I have just received an invitation to the UK launch of the new Mazda 2 and this bit of the email caught my eye.
CONNECTIVITY
Experience advanced connectivity and entertainment with Mazda’s MZD -Connect system. Tune into DAB radio, reply to text messages and check Facebook and Twitter on the move.
This is more a European thing than USA, but when I bought my 3, a year ago, I was told that "DAB was so last year, and internet radio was the thing to have". This was from a Mazda UK guy, not the dealer. Internet radio in the 3 is c**p, Aha is a joke.
So have Mazda decided that they are offering DAB and can it be retrofitted to a 3?
Although just to make thing a little more weird the Mazda UK website does not mention DAB in their Mazda 2 info.
I am aiming to go to the launch and will investigate. I hope to also find out what version of the software they are using.

#2 ·
Hi Dancingbear,
I have already been down this road with Mazda. Unfortunately the answer is no, mostly in part due to the fact that the unit in the 2 has proprietary connector for the DAB aerial and also the fact that the 3's don't have an aerial for dab either. The current twig or shark fin cannot be used as it not correct, even if it were the cable is apparently not capable of handling the DAB signal only and FM/AM one.

The unit still comes from JCI and has the DAB built in.My understanding is that we may see DAB offered in the 2016 MY so cars built from around OCT this year. Mazda also informed me that they will offer a solution(USB) that will add DAB to the car, this will be available shortly for around 250 fitted, they gave no other details.

I have been lucky enough to see and drive the new 2 and it really a nice vehicle if you like the smaller form factor, I think what would have been interesting is they had made the diesel/electric form factor available for the 2 like they have the three in Japan.

AHA/Stitcher is only cr*p in the UK due to the poor cell signal upon which it relies.

Hope this helps
Mark

Reactions: dancingbear
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.