2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. I bought myself a 2005 Mazda 3 1.6 M/T with 205k km on the clock. Now the car has absolutely clean engine and gearbox and that is the main reason I purchased it. However, there are some issues that I would like to get some ideas before hitting a local garage.

I must note that the car had a previous I.C.E installed and the previous owner removed it, and did a shitty job reinstalling the OEM stereo back. It seems the fuse near the battery is the best place to check the health which I will do that soon.

1. The steering wheel seems to pull slightly towards one side (worn bushes ?)
2. The head-unit has no power whatsoever same goes for the small A/C display.
3. The electric mirrors don't function
4. The passenger electric windows don't function (only drive window is ok.
5. The RPM gauge has a slight play when suddenly accelerating.

I must say driving this car felt really nice and a very nice pull for a tiny 1.6 liter engine.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Well 205k miles is a lot of mileage and many things will be worn out if the previous owner did not keep up with regular maintenance. Buying a used car because it has a clean engine and trans is not a good reason for buying a car. Easy enough to clean an engine and trans to make it look like new. What is important is maintenance records. Did the previous owner keep the maintenance records? If not you might have just purchased a money pit.

There are many answers for your questions. My best recommendation is take it to a Mazda dealer and have them do a maintenance check. They will give you a list of what is wrong and you can fix at your own time frame. In the future I would suggest you have a qualified mechanic check the car out BEFORE you purchase it. if the owner of the car say no to the inspection then he is hiding something.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, it's in Kms, around 130k miles which is not that much. And there seems to be a load of service stuff, but unfortunately they are all in Finnish since I live here so kind of hard to sit down and translate them all. I will probably take it to a Mazda dealer for a checkup. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here is some updates.

1. I cleaned all the ground wires in the hood and reconnected them
2. I checked all the fuse and all are good
3. At the fuse box, the stereo related fuse produces 12v no issues
4. At the radio harness, the power only reads around 2.5 volts ! Can't figure out the reason behind yet. Maybe a bad harness ?
5. The same issue seems to be with the dome lights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the read. It is a good compliment to all the videos I have watched lately. I am happy to say that today I finally found the root of the problem, and a friend who is very hands on with electronics fixed a temporary solution.
After checking all the engine bay grounds, and the interior grounds and cables, I did one final check on the fuses using the multimeter.

The room fuse in the engine fuse box gave a very interesting reading of 2.5 volts. Very interesting. So I started to take things apart and upon visual inspection found and exceptional amount of green hard rust. Using WD40, the rust was cleaned. Furthermore, we found out that the metal connector inside was completely dislodge from the pin hence rendering it useless. Using a short wire, we connected the fuse base to the metal plate and everything is running extra smooth. Of course, this is temporary and I will most probably replace the metal base part, or alternatively run the fuse through one of the available empty slots later on.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cha-ching! You just saved yourself a lot of money from having to go to the Stealership. Congratulations!

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
The steering is usually all suspension:

I had these all replaced on my old 2007 Mazda 3 GS
Front upper & lower arms (ball joints), steering end links, stabilizer end links and shocks
Rear upper & lower trailing arms, shocks, rear stabilizer end links

steering was a good as new

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yap, saved loads of money. especially in Finland where apparently fixing electrical issues costs around 120-150 euros per hour, In total I spend more than 6 hours checking every single point of failure based on my research before finding the stupid issue, which I might add seems to be a design flaw based on how thin the stupid cable connection was! Now to some other minor issues and touch ups, mabye an AUX cable for now :)

The steering is usually all suspension:

I had these all replaced on my old 2007 Mazda 3 GS
Front upper & lower arms (ball joints), steering end links, stabilizer end links and shocks
Rear upper & lower trailing arms, shocks, rear stabilizer end links

steering was a good as new
Well , it turns out the tires had very low pressure, some free air seems to have fixed it for now :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts