2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In the market for a new car after my Forester finally went to the great rally in the sky.
41 male drummer, photographer, model maker in St. Louis.
Long time gear head, rally driver, autocrosser, road course driver.
Fell in love with the '3 and am on the search for a manual here.
Joined the forum to get the scoop, hope to be more active once I get the car.

Shawn

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Welcome Shawn M! Glad we have another spirited member here. Good luck on your 6M quest. It is worth it! Loving our manual trans Mazda 3.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Gang!
Spent the week reading through the forum (FANTASTIC information here).
Went out last night and got a 2018 Sport, 5 door, manual trans in Deep Blue Metallic.
Was totally hooked after the test drive, so light and nimble with adequate power to boot.
Just ordered a strut bar from Cork Sport, Rear Sway in the next week or two LOL.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
after reading the 20+ pages on rear bars, I may go progress instead....not sure

pulled the front plate and holder, engine cover (aka heat trap) and the center rear head rest...day 1 mods LOL

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
after reading the 20+ pages on rear bars, I may go progress instead....not sure

pulled the front plate and holder, engine cover (aka heat trap) and the center rear head rest...day 1 mods LOL

Congratulations on your finding your great car! I went with Progress, first in the softer postion, but then a couple of weeks later in it’s firmest setting, coupled with GRP endlinks — and am very happy with that combination.

Speaking of links, my build thread in my signature has the places were I bought everything, most of the time part numbers, and pricing.

The most important mod of all, IMO (and I am far from alone on this), was getting better tires. I initially went with fantastic Michelin A/s 3+’s , and they were terrifica on all but one area, i.e., as have other members of the forum who tried them found, that that Mazda 3’s, for whatever reason, eat up the tread too quickly. My Discount Tire store took care of me completely, and I now have an like Continental DWS 06’s (also a A/S — which I need where I live). They are still far better than the factory tires mine came with.

There are also many excellent alternative summer HP tires that will make your car handle even better.

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Nice! Congrats. Pics?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks gang.

I was surprised to see the endlinks as the weak spot until I went back and reviewed the bar rate differential over stock....WOW. So yeah end links will be purchased as well.
Yes, sticky tires will be added when I swap wheels and tires out next year. For now I kinda like being able to slide 'er around a bit.

I will snap some pics as soon as the rain stops, its been a wet week here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts