2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Got this new grill and I don't know if it was a placebo effect or not, but I thought I felt some better throttle response with my pulls. The stock grill is pretty restrictive as the lower 20-30% of the grill doesn't even have any holes!

What do you guys think regarding this thought?

Reactions: crouchingtiger17

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can only speak from owning a Mazda6. I monitor a host of parameters including engine water and ambient intake air temperatures using this (Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 EOBD Scanner Scan Tool Adapter Check Engine Light Diagnostic Trouble Code Reader for iOS iPhone iPad and Android).

Engine water temp is basically rock steady from 185-187 degrees in the summer Texas heat of 100+ to freezing temperatures, the wonders of modern automobiles! The ambient intake air temperature does vary from an indicated low of 45 to 105 degrees. This "should" have an impact on performance as cooler air is denser which in turn will cause more fuel to be injected into the motor to keep the A/F ratio balanced at about 12.7/1 under WOT and 14.7/1 cruising. How much more power will you see from this, let's say under ideal conditions with a dome of high pressure sitting on top of you (30.40AP) in the winter where the density altitude can easily go -1500' say 10 horsepower at the wheels.

The next question is can you "feel" 10 WHP? Maybe but don't hold your breath. That's why people buy "cold air intakes" because they "sound" like they are making more power. My 2 cents from over 250 passes down the drag strip. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
placebo - air intake is at top of engine

but if your mind thinks it's working, then it's working !
I don't have the factory intake, short ram with a heat shield. Does that change your response?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can only speak from owning a Mazda6. I monitor a host of parameters including engine water and ambient intake air temperatures using this (Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 EOBD Scanner Scan Tool Adapter Check Engine Light Diagnostic Trouble Code Reader for iOS iPhone iPad and Android).

Engine water temp is basically rock steady from 185-187 degrees in the summer Texas heat of 100+ to freezing temperatures, the wonders of modern automobiles! The ambient intake air temperature does vary from an indicated low of 45 to 105 degrees. This "should" have an impact on performance as cooler air is denser which in turn will cause more fuel to be injected into the motor to keep the A/F ratio balanced at about 12.7/1 under WOT and 14.7/1 cruising. How much more power will you see from this, let's say under ideal conditions with a dome of high pressure sitting on top of you (30.40AP) in the winter where the density altitude can easily go -1500' say 10 horsepower at the wheels.

The next question is can you "feel" 10 WHP? Maybe but don't hold your breath. That's why people buy "cold air intakes" because they "sound" like they are making more power. My 2 cents from over 250 passes down the drag strip. Hope that helps!
Thats cool info! Thanks for sharing. I don't necessarily feel more power (maybe i do, idk,) but my engine response seems nicer

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No difference. The factory grill has plenty of pass through for air flow, more than enough in fact.
I thought that too. Im not claiming more "power" i just thought my engine responsiveness was slightly improved :) Cheers!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just some more background on the car, it does have an intake with heat shield, a 93 tune by OV, and CBE regarding power.

·
Registered
431 Posts
just some more background on the car, it does have an intake with heat shield, a 93 tune by OV, and CBE regarding power.
With your tune, was the throttle lag removed as well ?

Mine was (as well as raised the rev limit to 7500 and that made a huge difference (2.0/auto).

·
Registered
350 Posts
No difference. The factory grill has plenty of pass through for air flow, more than enough in fact.
DOnt forget it's also designed to prevent a big rock from smashing into your radiator.

I would second the feel in extra boost in feel because when I added my trailer hitch and sticker, I swear I accelerate faster with the better air flow underbody.

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
DOnt forget it's also designed to prevent a big rock from smashing into your radiator.
Yes, the factory grill does provide some protection for the radiator.

I would second the feel in extra boost in feel because when I added my trailer hitch and sticker, I swear I accelerate faster with the better air flow underbody.
It is a proven fact that a sticker is good for at least 5 hp.:smile2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

This new grill does a pretty good job too i must say. It still has an inner mesh lining, but the lower portions of the grill have flow now too

lol stickers ftw!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With your tune, was the throttle lag removed as well ?

Mine was (as well as raised the rev limit to 7500 and that made a huge difference (2.0/auto).
yes sir!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey guys,

Got this new grill and I don't know if it was a placebo effect or not, but I thought I felt some better throttle response with my pulls. The stock grill is pretty restrictive as the lower 20-30% of the grill doesn't even have any holes!

What do you guys think regarding this thought?

You know you could probably ask matt if it is doing anything, send him some data and see if theres any difference if you really think it's doing something.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts